Morale Doesn't Belong on Conquest Worlds

PapaDil7

Newcomer
Title is my thesis. This discussion needs to be had. The recent silliness with Himera has reignited the discussions among players about this reality, and it seems to me like those making decisions for this community either don't understand gameplay well enough to know this fact, or simply don't care. I firmly believe it's the former, as those I've interacted with over the years always seem to be well-intentioned. I've talked with numerous players who are frustrated with morale on Himera—not the miscommunication, but the fact that there is morale itself. Then I realized maybe it's partially our fault for not being clear over the years. Might as well do it now... It's great that morale no longer applies during sieges, but we feel it shouldn't be in conquest worlds period.

The community was queried about its preferences for US119 here on the forums. Go look. Not one of the six responders asked for conquest+morale, because most of us understand how frustrating that is to play. I noticed that, and decided to play Himera because I liked all the proposed settings, as diverse as they were. But we didn't get any of the proposed settings. We got conquest+morale. That's disappointing to me. What was the point of asking? There is a small, dedicated community of players left on the US servers, and they deserve better than settings nobody requested. For those who don't understand why anyone who knows the game doesn't want morale in conquest, there are several reasons, let me explain. First, morale encourages smaller players to turtle, making them easy targets. If someone has a wall (or heavens help us, a tower), their city is considered basically free. Why would we want a mechanic that encourages less experienced players to get taken advantage of? Add in the fact that it disincentivizes inclusion of latecomers to worlds, starving them of the static dbp income that they would otherwise have the luxury of from regular on-island farming. It also makes experienced players less apt to play and stay in worlds, as finding even fights gets increasingly challenging.

It has been a year since a conquest world with no morale was released. It really feels like whoever is making these calls hasn't ever played the game. As far as our present situation, if the setting literally cannot be changed on US119 - Himera, it is what it is. I understand. I've seen world settings changed before in rare cases, but this might be different, I don't know. If the setting could be changed, but they think players have mixed feelings about it, so better to just leave as is, that could not be more wrong. Experienced players don't like morale in conquest, and new players suffer because of it. I don't know if anyone with the authority to make change happen will read this, but what I do know is that maybe it's time we as a community were abundantly clear and more vocal about finding morale in conquest counterproductive in hopes that we will be listened to in the future. That's all from me. Eagle out.

Last edited:

gribbe

Newcomer
completely agree. the change to morale being disabled on conquests was one suggest by me on these forums after I polled many player's opinions and asked hundreds of people across servers. a mechanic that is supposedly beginner friendly in a game that is inherently not beginner friendly via attack alarms and standard gameplay mechanics should not be commonplace on world settings, especially not in cq. imo.

Last edited:

Chrict

Messenger
I think the original intention of morale as a way to protect new an inexperienced players was decent. That said, the game isn't advertised and pushed to new players anymore. There is no growth and thus no need for morale. This game has lost more players, and real income from those players, because of morale than it has gained.

I very much dislike the morale dynamic but even if the developers were determined to keep it as part of the cq game, compromises could be made. Keep morale in speeds 1 and 2 and lose it anything 3 and above. A fast paced world isn't a place to learn the game anyway.

Last edited:

Brajanz0r

Artisan
I could agree that morale shouldn't be even considered for ANY type of world with speed less than 4. On higher speeds it makes sense but not always.

Now about the revolt part. How the hell do you even think morale belongs to revolt?
+10% phalanx/ram +10% tower +25 wall +heroes +trojan defense +advisors +tokens +morale?!

Not to mention NB. Just think about it first before you try to dump all the bad stuff to revolt worlds. They removed morale from revolt worlds because it doesn't make any sense. After first two months on revolt worlds with morale the overall population is ~100-130 players and without morale is 300+. It is pathetic but still they figured it out and stopped making revolts with morale. Easy money, this way they are getting more packages bought and a more active community.

I am trading on US119 and the competition is so bad we golders could win that one easily. Is it due to morale? Probably. Is CQ more profitable than revolt? I don't think so.

PapaDil7

Newcomer
Just think about it first before you try to dump all the bad stuff to revolt worlds.
It is a poorly-designed mechanic in general, and I'd like to see it on no world ever again (or any player who has been on a server more than 2 weeks is ineligible to profit from morale, which we suggested years ago and was ignored repeatedly). I think you are missing the heart of my argument here, though. Yes, I understand that on revolt worlds walls are an additional factor, making smaller players' cities much harder to attack when morale is on. However, that is, in fact, the point of morale, so at least on revolt worlds it achieves that goal, despite overall being bad for the game state. On conquest worlds it doesn't even help smaller players, it just tricks them into becoming easy targets.

At the end of the day it seems we feel the same. Morale is a terrible mechanic and it should go away forever.

Psycho

Newcomer
I am trading on US119 and the competition is so bad we golders could win that one easily. Is it due to morale? Probably. Is CQ more profitable than revolt? I don't think so.
Not sure that's a fair comment when the first time you revolt players get timed on you'd cry about timing bots.

The competition against TGP may be quite bad, but that does not mean that we are.

Last edited:

PapaDil7

Newcomer
Worth adding to this that morale also hurts smaller players because it makes their larger allies less likely to send to break sieges, as pulling the CS and using morale to kill the incoming attacks is a very common strategy.