• Entry 9

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Entry 10

Votes: 34 43.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

Dear Players,

There was so many wonderful entries into this contest. Thank you for such a wonderful turn out. Due to the massive number of entries, I have expanded the contenders from 5 to 10. (which was incredibly hard to do as there were a LOT of good entries.

So the rules.

* You cannot tell players which entry is yours, all of these must remain anonymous.
* You can vote for yourself
* Voting will remain open for 7 days, after which a winner will be determined.
* In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by me personally.

Thank you again and good luck to the contenders!

Sincerely,

Daedalus

DeletedUser

Entry 1

The New World

As John Blythe boarded the last colony ship, he paused to stare at the port. Beyond the docks lay London, his home of twenty-three years. Even now, with the choice all but made, Blythe could not help but wonder if he was making a mistake. Behind him lay England, with all the comforts and assurances his life of status would bring him. The son of a Lord with ties to the royal family, Blythe could live out the entirety of his life in luxury and opulence. A title worthy of respect from even the pompous aristocracy, a wedding to a beautiful girl born of nobility, an inheritance to rival the wealth of any family in England, these things were certainties. However, to stay meant another certainty; misery.
Blythe longed for a life of his own; the chance to hew his own legacy from the tree of life. Even the thought of breaking ties from his family made John feel like a peasant leading a revolt against a tyrannous baron. He could only imagine what adventure lay across the open ocean. The new world promised riches beyond comprehension. Gold and silver were in abundance. Tropical islands were just waiting to be claimed, making the discoverer an instant lord and ruler over his own sovereign nation. It was even said that the eagle spying down on man from high above the clouds could see but a fraction of the proverbial Eden which lay in store.

These possibilities called to Blythe like a mother calling her child in from the storm. They filled him with a sense of hope, clutched him in their warm embrace, all the while pulling him steadily toward what had always been his destiny. No longer would Blythe be shackled by the trappings of upper-class culture and sophistication. Never again would the confines of Elizabethan architecture hold him like the deepest of dungeons. The time had come to cut his own path through the wilderness, to farm his own land and reap only what he himself had sowed. His old ties were severed, giving way to new alliances forged with steel and iron, pitting himself against any man or beast which stood between him and freedom. For the New World meant freedom, and freedom meant happiness.

John Blythe turned toward the ship, and never looked back.

Entry 2

November, 1st, year 2368. Day 7 after the Launch - Somewhere between Earth and Mars. Our colony ship - well, that's not exactly a colony ship, it is more likely to be called a 'Colony Starship'... And as the greatest philosopher of 21st century, Nicki Minaj, said : 'Starships were meant to fly' so we're currently in space - is flying toward our new planet, an exoplanet discovered by astronomers a century ago. We are traveling to this planet because Earth is no more, Aliens took control of it and will not let us come back. We know nothing about them, they never showed and they never contacted us. Everything started in 2076, when NASA (it is the former name of NASAEU, before they merged with the European space program in 2194) discovered an extraterrestrial ship heading to the Earth. It was then close to Jupiter and nothing was done to stop the ship... That was the biggest mistake ever made by Humanity.

When the spacecraft landed on Earth in 2327, Aliens didn't even try to discuss with us, they directly started to destroy everything we had. Every single legacy from our architecture was demolished, leaving ruins instead ; they didn't leave any trace from our culture. The reason of their attack was easy to get - they wanted silver... They needed silver for their weapons. Some people tried to form an alliance with the Aliens, they thought their lives would spared, but they became spies for them. Because of these treasons, everyone was suspicious, thinking that one's neighbor might be a spy... It caused revolts worldwide. Human relations were totally broken, love didn't exist anymore and there were no more wedding.

About a month after Aliens started to hire spies, there has been a rumour saying that there might be an island in the middle of Pacific Ocean where NASAEU was building a Colony Starship which would make us go to our 'New Earth'. This piece of information made several thousands of people get out of their hiding place and go and seek this island. I was one of the first people to find it and when I arrived, the ship wasn't finished. I didn't it yet, but I had been lucky to arrive on the island safe... Most of the people that tried the travel died, killed by the Aliens. After three months waiting, we were more than six hundreds to have made it to the island and colony ship was fully built. We were allowed to get on board and see all the work that NASA made - There were at least ten farms that produced enough food to feed the population of New-York... Twice ! It has now been a week that we travel to our 'Promised Land' and we only hope that there is no life on the planet where we go...

DeletedUser

Entry 3

spider gets the blues

"Ingenious camouflage."

"Yes," he replied, "you'd almost think that i was one of them." He regarded himself in the mirror a little longer before he added sarcastically, "A true man of culture."

He had only just finished buttoning the final gold button of his navy blue jacket as she again broke the silence of the room."
"Forgetting something, my love?"

In her outstretched hand she held his revolver, hers was already strapped safely to her inner thigh. She fought to smile playfully despite being gripped by an in ignorable sadness.

From the look on his face one may have thought him angry with her... but it was himself with whom he was angry. These were the types of mistakes that would get him hurt... or, God forbid, get her hurt.

He loved her.

Once, their alliance was merely one of hatred of a shared enemy, but that was long ago. She came to love him as he'd come to love her. At first she attempted to revolt against her feelings, for she knew that the day might come when she'd again be forced to consider him "enemy", but she succumbed... just as he succumbed. As SO many do.

Through the mirror he spied a flash of silver as she raised her lighter to light her cigarette. The architecture of the old room seemed to cast the perfect shadow over her, such that in the darkness of that corner the glowing end of her cigarette became a brilliant, pulsing island of light.

She leaned against the wall and remembered that there had once been talk of a wedding that they might one day share. They dreamed of hiding from their pasts and retreating to some farm in a far away land where none would recognize them. They dreamed of escaping this life all together.

Sadly such dreams often end up being just that... dreams.

She came to know that he would never stop short of the vengeance he sought. She knew that despite how much he needed her, he couldn't change the path he'd set his course upon. At it's end could he forgive himself enough to love her the way he ached to?
She looked up to find his eyes fixed on her through the mirror once again as he finished securing the pistol within his jacket.

Like this they remained for a time.

"Tonight,' she drew slowly on her cigarette, "after we finish this..."

"Yes?"

"I'm leaving you."

He turned to face her, "I know."

He was too close to turn back. A few more assignments and he'd achieve sufficient "trust" to get close to his TRUE target.
But tonight in the dirty harbor creaks a sullen colony ship and aboard is Rolan Chang full of dreams of a new life. A poor man from the Eastern Islands that doesn't realize he knows too much to live. A poor man that will find himself at the bottom of the bay by morning.

Entry 4

With the moon shining on the water like a silver necklace threaded across a dark divide, cascading along the roofs and walls of the spires, temples and other beautiful architecture of the city he called home, Galadin almost missed the tell-tale signs of Ruark's Colony Ship sliding out from behind the island about 5 miles distant.

"Figures" he grunted, slowly rising to his feet to work out his stiff muscles, which at his age were revolting against any movement at the moment. "Only took him 3 days, too."

Spying on King Ruark, the "Most Glorious, Celebtrated Monarch of the ages" (or however else he was styling himself these days), from the kingdom directly to the northeast, had been the easiest job in decades. Galadin had been spying for King Menec for almost 40 years now, ever since he was 13, and knew he was good at it. But this; this had been almost too easy.

Menec had married off his daughter to Ruark's second-eldest son, in the hopes that a family alliance might stave off the advances of the barbarians from the south who, lacking in any real culture of their own, had decided that advancing into Menec's lands north was the next best thing, raping and pillaging on the way.

What did Ruark get out of the deal? A nice tract of farm land that he had been all but salivating over for years, never quite wanting to come to actual open conflict to take it, but always just a step away from snatching it for himself, wanting to tear it all down and use the land as a grazing area for his gradually growing stock of horses.

Galadin was surprised that the festivites of the wedding hadn't opened up into a conflagration of kicking, punching and stabbing from the participants. The fact that everyone remained civil was astounding.

"It is what it is" he shrugged, gradually making his way back through the country-side towards the palace, already putting together in his head what he would tell Menec about his adversary-turned-ally's movements this night. "Probably already has the stables mapped out in his head" he thought to himself, kicking a rock ahead of him as he went, amazed that Ruark waited as long as he did to start colonizing the land he so lusted after.

Had he been a minute or two slower in heading back, however, he would have seen the torches of a great many other ships trailing the first. He may have seen the glint of torchlight on spear-point, the hushed anticipation of a small army, might have witnessed the turn the ships made toward the capital, instead of that tract of farm land that may not be so important after all.

Kicking the rock before him.... *kick...... *Kick*.... hands in pockets, whistling lightly to himself, Galadin made the slow walk back home.........

DeletedUser

Entry 5

The Coincidence that Changed it All.

“My Lord, you called?”

“Yes, spy I have summoned you for a very important mission. I need you to infiltrate a village, once inside, write a report about the military strength. This information will be used so I can conquer their village. The island you will travel to is called Montezuma, you will sneak aboard a colony ship heading to the island.” With that, my journey to becoming a lord began.

Once I had managed to get inside I did what I was trained to do. I hid amongst the crowd. The silver the lord gave was good but my eyes were set on the bigger prize, the gold. This of course was only after the lord had established a hold over the village. The village was large with fascinating ancient aztec architecture. The artistic culture stood out to all the travelers going in and out, and the hard work of the farmers was admirable. It gave me the perfect idea and I soon bought a farm with the silver I received. I worked the lands and in my free time I gathered information on the military strength of village. Then the complications began.

The young lord died, no older than 24, the cause of death unknown and never discovered. An uproar was caused and the village began revolting because the person who would fill the shoes of the lord was a despicable man, despised by many. The alliances who represented the people's wishes began drafting local farmers; which lead to me being drafted. I thought of it as the perfect opportunity to collect more data that I may have missed.

After a few days, I received word that all members of the alliance were getting together. We all gathered in the woods just outside the village.
“Hello all, I am Spike. I will be your leader and I called this meeting to introduce our last hope. This is princess Catherine, the heir to the throne but denied it because of her age! Will we just stand here and tolerate that? No!” In that moment I caught a glimpse from the back of the crowd and my heart was taken away. Her beauty was remarkable with her dark brown eyes, black hair, and smooth tanned skin. The rest of the world drowned out, to the point that one of the members asked me if I realized the meeting was over. That night the first attack on the castle was accomplished, and I fought hard with hopes to win the princesses heart. We were victorious In the end and won the revolution.
I succeeded in capturing her heart and we got married. The wedding was better than anything I had ever expected it to be, and I burned all classified spy documents I had worked so hard on, and lived happily ever after with my princess as the Lord of Montezuma and the village of the Winding River.

Entry 6

As we approached the planet, I was immediate taken aback by the landscape. This world was almost completely water, with only small islands peaking out here and there. We did not see any vegetation, nor did there appear to be any type of flying or land animals in sight. I'm not sure this was water in the sense we were accustomed, as it had a color that could only be described as a silver hue, almost as though it were mercury.

At first glance, it appeared this would be another uninhabited planet; however, as we drew closer we spied what seemed to be floating docks, as well as several vessels that were very reminiscent of the colony ships from our world. From this vantage point we could see no other signs of architecture, save what appeared to be a few small shacks built atop more of these floating docks.

We chose to set our ship to hover near one of the docks, careful not to come into contact with the water until we could determine its composition. The air had already been tested and found compatible, but because of previous experiences we opted on wearing our landing suits, more for the benefit of the native inhabitants of this world. Over the centuries we found that most planets expected alien landing parties to appear in bulky suits, and in many cases our physical appearance was, at best, revolting to other races.

Making contact with the residents of the planet was easier than we anticipated, almost as though they had been waiting for our arrival. I'm not sure what shocked us more, the fact that they had been expecting us, or the fact that they looked almost exactly like us. In all my years traveling the universe in search of suitable colony planets, I had never encountered another race of humanoids. The only variance was their skin, which seemed to be scaled, with a remarkable crimson tone.

It took us more than a month to learn their language, after which they eagerly told us their history. They repeatedly spoke of the legend of the sky travelers who brought them to this planet to establish a new home. They spoke of the times of abundance, when the planet was covered with land, plants and animals, when they had many flourishing farms composed of what seemed like impossible numbers of fruits, vegetables and spices.

The culture of this race was remarkably similar to our own, and after witnessing what I could only assume was a wedding, my team and I decided we needed to report this planet to our superiors. I'm not entirely convinced that their story of sky travelers is just a legend anymore. We developed a tentative alliance with the leaders of the planet, discussed the potential of bringing resources for their assistance, and made our departure. I left the planet wondering if this was the lost colony of my people that my elders had spoken of so many times.

DeletedUser

Entry 7

“The wedding, the blasted wedding”, Asmionis remembered. He was betrothed to the most beautiful woman in all the kingdom by her father and it was all a lie; a sham to extort political favor within the senate.

“Damn them all; no one mocks the favored of the Gods”

The captain stood on the deck of the colony ship as he peered across the ocean. His gaze panned the immense blue, searching. Ten days earlier he had sent out four spies to gather information from the island, they had yet to return.

“Another day, another fruitless search”, he quietly said to himself as he turned to retreat to his cabin.

As the captain reached his door, shouts arose from members of the crew at the prow of the ship. “Rowers, to the starboard”!

The captain turned with a snap and bellowed the command to bring the ship about to intercept the skiff and to bring the men to his cabin immediately. “Tell me everything”, Asmionis ordered. “The land is fertile with space enough for expansion”, spoke the first of the spies. “It will support many farms and timber camps”. “There are many mountains near the northern coast sir”, stated another of the spies. “I took a small sample of what I believe to be silver from one of the caves I encountered, the smiths will be ecstatic”.

“And what of you two?” asked the captain of the two remaining spies.

“Sire”, began the first of the two, “I saw structures of which I cannot measure.” “The architecture must be that of the Gods, for I have never seen such glorious splendor.”

“So you say there is culture there?”

“Yes my lord and they seem, from a distance, to be friendly and amenable”

“Ah yes, well I have seen many cultures to which that attribute can be pinned, yet when up-close and personal with it, it is the foulest taste in your mouth you have ever imagined.” “We will have to determine this later. For now you three can go.”

“Phestus, you stay.”

“Yes my lord?”

The captain waited until the three other spies left the room before speaking again.

“Phestus, you know I value your judgment above all the others.”

“Yes my lord, I would never intentionally fail you.”

“In your opinion my friend, is this place Of the Gods, or is it another folly of man’s desire, to be more than he is?”

“Asmionis, I have known you all your life and I will not lie to you.” “That which looks too good to be, usually is, and far from it for me to be the say all and end all of this. I am here to guide you, not tell you what to do.”

“Thank you my old friend. I will leave the decision to land or to sail by, up to the alliance leaders and hope that the colonists don’t revolt.
We have been on the water far too long for some of them.”

Entry 8

It felt like she had been running all her life. Her breath came ragged, and every muscle felt like it was on fire. Running was better than the alternative though, a life spent in the silver mines or as a slave on the outbound colony ships.

Her life had not always been like this, just six months before it had been completely different. The military had found Tamar to be an invaluable resource, and had eventually drafted her into a new initiative: a task force of elite female spies. Trained in the art of subterfuge and close combat they quickly grew to become one of the most feared groups in the war effort.

That was two years ago. Since then Tamar had left the military to pursue a more normal life, albeit one still filled with plenty of adventure. The enemy never forgot though, those few that had managed to see her face and live plotted together, determined to have their revenge. And so it came to that painful day six months ago when her life once again was turned upside down. It had been another beautiful day, hardly a cloud in the sky, perfect for the evening beach wedding of Tam’s closest friend.

The peaceful celebrations didn’t last, as a mixture of pirates and enemies of Tamar burst out from the forest edge, killing anyone who got in their path. Tam was in the fight of her life, weaponless and out-numbered she knew it was only a matter of time before she was caught or killed. Stubbornness rose up within her, determined to save the guests and take out as many as possible she charged at the fighters, her eyes ablaze with fire. She took out over fifteen of the enemy before they finally managed to pin her down and clamp her in irons.

Bundled aboard their ship, they took her to an unknown island, far removed from the rest of the known world. Her first sight of the island came as quite a shock; clearly there had been inhabitants there for thousands of years. The architecture and culture seemed far removed from modern life, reminding Tamar of the altars and tombs of the Aztecs. Much of the place was in ruin, although here and there could be seen attempts of cleaning and repairing the buildings. They led her away from the main area to some form of prison, where they proceeded to torture her for over two months. What little information that they did want she refused to give, and eventually her capturers decided to take her to the “Farm”, and have her work in the silver mines.

Tamar didn’t waste the opportunity that was presented to her, whenever the guards were out of earshot she spent her time befriending the other slaves, forming a growing alliance. The plan was simple: at the right time they would all revolt, and help as many as possible to escape.
And that is where Tamar was now, running for her life.

DeletedUser

Entry 9

Not a sound could they hear, save for the low scraping of the oars in their traces, the oily water sucking at their prow and, for each man present, though they would never admit it, the heavy thud of their own heartbeat.

Behind them the first silver rays of dawn were reluctantly beginning to creep across the morning sky. The shadows of the huge moss-covered boulders, hanging vines and tangled tree roots reaching high on either side of them created their own exotic architecture, the like of which no man among them had ever seen. With every sense keenly alert for the merest movement, their fearful imaginations fed their naturally superstitious natures, conjuring all manner of grotesque monsters crouching in the dark, ready to leap out and drag them back into the infested jungle.

The first reports from the village were confused. Some spoke of a revolt among the native islanders, others told darker tales of unnatural practices and witchcraft. What could be in no doubt was that the colonists had left their farms in a hurry – their animals untended in the fields; an unfinished wedding feast left for the rooks to pick over.

Ten days later, the abandoned colony ship was traced to a rocky inlet on the remote island. This place had always been avoided by the alliance’s governor, as the local tribes were fierce and warlike. For generations their culture had prized this as a place where their ancestors were free to roam, to come and go as they pleased.

The little cutter slowly rode deeper into the terrible gloom. As they cleared a broad bend the first mate started and pulled at the sleeve of the man next to him – the leader of the small party. He pointed to the trees ahead and to the left.

At first he could see nothing through the mist and shadows but gradually new shapes began to appear. Different shapes. With barely a breath of wind they seemed to hover like ghosts in the air. Despite the early morning chill, a line of sweat picked its way along his brow.

They drew nearer, every man transfixed by the vision before them. In their service they had witnessed much they could never share with their mothers – the keelhauling of the French spy before Valparaiso still fresh in the memory - but this was new to them all. One man crossed himself, muttering a prayer only his God could understand, if he ever visited such places as this.

A line was attached to the bank and one by one they hauled themselves from the boat. With no words to express their thoughts, they made a search of the clearing and soon came across a rough piece of sailcloth nailed to a tree. An icy shudder ran through him as he realised what he was reading. The cloth bore an arrow pointing into the island’s interior above a single word “Samuel”.

“Looks like someone is expecting you, Sam.” said the first mate.

Entry 10

Long ago we farmed the land
And tilled our island soil by hand
We built a culture up from dirt and stone

Our laws were few and fair and just
Our people all were prosperous
Travelers came and stayed and made us home

Our architecture awed the world
Our weddings shone with silvered pearls
Our feasts could feed a thousand, even more!

Despite our peace and our goodwill
One day the Fates all blew us ill
A foreign fleet arrived upon on our shore

A giant fleet rode on that tide
Their colony ship was tall and wide
And every boat brought great machines of death

We fought a good a valiant fight
All through the day and through the night
But by dawn no man remained to take a breath

And so began our servitude
We worked as slaves, in solitude
In scraps for clothes and eating rotten gruel

It seemed our lives would end this way
With pain by night and toil by day
For masters strong and harsh and sharp and cruel

But then one cold clear dawning light
Some shades of Hades spied our plight
And whispered promises of breaking free

And in the end we chose to fight
Not drift away into Death's night
We took the only chance that we could see

Our hearts were hard, our souls were bleak
Our hate was strong, our wills were weak
And so we made alliance with the Dark

We bowed our heads and took an oath
We place our very souls in troth
And then we each received the Demon's mark

That night we rose when dawn was near
Revolt was quick, revenge severe
Carnage stretched from village to the sea

But only then we realized
What we had sold to buy this prize
We won the war but were no longer free

Our bodies torn, but yet we walked
Our throats were cut and still we talked
No longer were we living men or dead

We've never slept again since then
Undead, unloved, unholy men
We are the shades of those who should be dead

DeletedUser

Dang it!!! Is there a way to revote and take mine back i wanted to vote for the poem.

DeletedUser

All wonderful

Every entry was great and I really enjoyed reading them. We have some very creative and talented people playing this game! Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry :)

DeletedUser

Yea there were a lot of talented writers. Although they poem was they simplest it was also they best.:D

DeletedUser

Good job to everyone who entered! I understand some people might like the poem idea, but entry number 1 is definitely the best written. Why are people voting for number 5? No way that deserves to win.

DeletedUser

I was originally disappointed not to see mine, but after reading just a couple, I was thinking "these are so much better than mine!" Great work guys, I wish I could give you all a prize!

DeletedUser

I think my story was a little better than 5 and a few others, but i would have lost to the poem that took some skill

DeletedUser

I really enjoyed all the entires I'm not much of a poetry person (so I didn't vote for it.) But it was extremely creative and good, I was close to voting for it but I enjoyed Entry 5 a lot. I hope everyone else enjoyed all the entries like I did. :)

DeletedUser

I submitted my entry but I don't see it here. Are you saying that it was not as good as these above. That sucks

DeletedUser2039

I submitted my entry but I don't see it here. Are you saying that it was not as good as these above. That sucks
I don't think you should be looking at it like that. Some real talent up there; recognize it! This comp. was not about winning, but bringing forth the incredibly creative side of our community that is not seen on a normal basis. You should be proud, regardless of whether yours made it in or not.:)

DeletedUser298

I wish I could write like any of them. I just really like 2's though for it's grepolis theme :D All were really good though :)

DeletedUser3639

All were good, the poem took some skill though

wish I could write like that

DeletedUser271

Today's the end of the poll. Will you make an in-game announcement, Daed ?