Thoughts on Ajax?

• Thread starter DeletedUser10419
  • Start date

DeletedUser10419

For those that have not heard, the next event will introduce Ajax - a hero of war that will increase hops offensive and defensive by 16.5 - 45%, and will cost only 35 coins after it loses exclusive status.

Initial reaction - what? There are already two heroes boosting hops, and Ajax is by and far the best, no competition. Hops are extremely common, so all the heroes will get used, but I think that there are some more unique options they could have created instead of another hop hero, regardless of how good he is.

DeletedUser9037

Initial reaction is...

WTF, another hero? Sheesh, we have WAY too many as it is. They should have stopped at about 12-15 and been done with it, or set a limit on how many you can have in each world to make people actually pick carefully as to which ones they wanted the most.

DeletedUser10419

I don't mind more heroes. You won't be able to max all heroes in a typical world anyway, so you have to make some choice on who to level up when, and it's always the usual suspects anyway.

I just think they should have released a hero with a unique ability instead of having a third hero to power up hops. For example, a hero that decreases the cost of catapults or makes them more effective, or one that decreases the cost of mythical units. Even if Ajax is better than either of those heroes, it's something different

DeletedUser9037

I don't mind more heroes. You won't be able to max all heroes in a typical world anyway, so you have to make some choice on who to level up when, and it's always the usual suspects anyway.

I just think they should have released a hero with a unique ability instead of having a third hero to power up hops. For example, a hero that decreases the cost of catapults or makes them more effective, or one that decreases the cost of mythical units. Even if Ajax is better than either of those heroes, it's something different

Having them do different things is fine, but we are getting into the area where there are multiple heroes for one thing, for example:

1 - Aristotle, Daidalos, Eurybia, Pariphaistes - all boat makers, there could be just one hero to make all boats, they do not have to be specific to each type. What is next, a hero to build Fast or Slow Transports faster?

2 - Agamemnon, Hector, Medea, Pelops, Telemachos, Themistokles - all boosts to Defense/Offense troops, most giving boosts to two different types of troops. Could cut this down to 2 Heroes, 1 for Offense, and 1 for Defense.

3 - Chiron, Odysseus, Ferkyon - Ferkyon does all troops, the other two are not necessary.

4 - Andromeda, Rekonos, Terylea, Ylestres - all resource boosters, Andromeda is sufficient, though I will admit I do like Terylea with the silver boost to fill caves quickly.

Putting this many heroes in the game makes it way too easy to have huge boosts in multiple cities. Half of these could be cut out.

You could easily have a nice variety without over doing it.

Boats Speed boost
Boats Speed Build boost
Defense Troops boost
Defense/Offense Troops Build boost - Ferkyon
Myth Defense/Offense boost - Urephon
Offense Troops boost
Resources boost
Boats Defense/Offense boost - Zuretha
Troop Movement boost - Atalanta

And then your miscellaneous ones along with those. There does not have to be a hero in every city, make the player pick and choose out of their cities instead of letting them have so many they don't have enough cities to put them all in! We do not need to be spoiled like this with all this selection, some of us played without them and did just fine years ago!

DeletedUser11525

I agree there is definitely overlap, but I also like taking advantage of at least Aristotle and Daidalos. Both provided a dedicated acceleration for a nuke.

Similarly, other special use ones, such as Zuretha, Urephon, Orpheus, Ferkyon, Democritus, Deimos, and Christopholus provide a worthwhile benefit.

The heros that benefit a single unit type, or a single resource, I generally don't find that useful (or I don't put in the time to take advantage of them). They would be more interesting if you could have more than 1 hero in a city, even if there was reduced benefits when you do that.

Add someone like Dionysus (increased farm/population, faster/cheaper city festivals) for example.

And, when you use one, if it gets wounded, actually require that you level it back up instead of rejuvenating over a few hours.

DeletedUser4460

I find it good that we got another hero that strengthens non-myth units. The wise usage of such heroes can allow players who spend less on event flyers to stay competitive or just spare myths in general.
Defensive heroes like Leonidas make it very hard to clear a turtle and affect all attacks, it makes sense that we should be able to boost (almost) all our attacks with heroes too, heroes should not only favor defensive game.

Max Ajax means hoplites are equal to slingers (different weapon) and little stronger than manties in attack power.

My only concern is whenever we get a hero that the new endgame will be delayed by another month maybe.

Wishlist: I would love to have a hero that helps our landlocked units fly :)
Icarus brings up your land units to the sky, but don’t let them get too close to the sun...
It should allow limited TT, higher the level, longer it can take units or weaken the attack by travel time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodrk

Peltast
Initial reaction is...

WTF, another hero? Sheesh, we have WAY too many as it is. They should have stopped at about 12-15 and been done with it, or set a limit on how many you can have in each world to make people actually pick carefully as to which ones they wanted the most.

I really like the idea of capping the total # of hero's per player. This way players have to pick and choose who they want and who they don't. This would add a cool dynamic to the game and another layer of strategy.