POLL: State of the Grepolis Forum Rules

Are the rules of the grepo forums too restrictive, just right, or not restrictive enough?

• Total voters

DeletedUser14893

Careful about discussing stuff though. Considering how restrictive it is, any discussions should be held on a third party platform that mods cannot see in order to keep from being banned

DeletedUser11833

The forum rules are far too restrictive and it is killing this game! Just look at the forum engagement levels from the good old days to now.

DeletedUser5524

The forum rules are far too restrictive and it is killing this game! Just look at the forum engagement levels from the good old days to now.
The player base was also 10x larger then it is now. Grepolis forums are for grepolis lol. Skype/Discord exists for stuff outside the game and breach of rules should not be allowed. I don't think its fair for you to criticize the mods for doing their job. Stay in the guidelines and your content won't be removed :)

Corwin36

Artisan
The player base was also 10x larger then it is now. Grepolis forums are for grepolis lol. Skype/Discord exists for stuff outside the game and breach of rules should not be allowed. I don't think its fair for you to criticize the mods for doing their job. Stay in the guidelines and your content won't be removed :)
Or just dont post so you don't have to worry about a possible ban if you give a bad example.

DeletedUser13890

It could be argued though that a relaxation of the rules could help to increase the forum usage because more topics would be available. Literally people create world chats in discord that do the same job as the externals, with far less restrictions. Along with this, it would make it so that players who are active on here, but are typically more "borderline" with they will not be banned, their posts wont be taken down, and there will be more content for people to look at and other such things.

DeletedUser15727

I think the thing that makes the externals special, at least in comparison to things like skype or discord, is the fact that it allows players from all over the world to make fun of each other collectively. While there are specially created world chats in both discord and skype, the externals have a distinctly "Grepolis" feel to them. One thing that is distinctly unique to the externals is the poll feature, which this very thread uses. It's either impossible or inconventient to attempt the same thing in skype or discord, and the discussions you can have after the poll are also unique to the externals.

While it might seem like we are trying to completely destroy all the rules in the forums, it couldn't be futher from the truth. I think the main thing that makes the forums truly special is the fact that they do have rules. In other platforms, messages are more or less completely unfiltered. While it may seem funny at the time, having too much unfiltered content can lead to a lot of frustration from both sides (and depending on who created the server/channel, it might be completely one-sided). With a dedicaded mod (or a team if there was actually more than 1), players can have a conversation where everyone is equal under the all-seeing eye of lurksalot, and heated arguments can be broken up before they spiral out of control.

While the current forum rules may have worked for grepolis years ago when the player base was much larger and certain apps like discord hadn't existed yet, times have changed significantly. And while it might make sense to keep certain privacy rules enforced, certain policy actions can prove to become problematic. Generally, whenever something happens in the world rumors will start flying around, and this is made worse due to apps outside of inno's control. However, even if most of it is just speculation, rash actions by the mods can actually serve to confirm rumors rather than dissipate them.

We're not asking for this place to become the definition of anarchy, we just want to make the game we love more fun.

DeletedUser5524

It could be argued though that a relaxation of the rules could help to increase the forum usage because more topics would be available. Literally people create world chats in discord that do the same job as the externals, with far less restrictions. Along with this, it would make it so that players who are active on here, but are typically more "borderline" with they will not be banned, their posts wont be taken down, and there will be more content for people to look at and other such things.
People create world chats to make fun of people's dead family members and to cuss out children. Most world chats turn into a spiral of having 100 people in it with the same 10 people talking just like these forums. Except in those world chats you have random toxic children with no leash who go on verbal tangents

DeletedUser11833

People create world chats to make fun of people's dead family members and to cuss out children. Most world chats turn into a spiral of having 100 people in it with the same 10 people talking just like these forums. Except in those world chats you have random toxic children with no leash who go on verbal tangents
I see several reasons in there that we should have a forum where people can have a server-wide moderated discussion! But, with the current moderation being so strict, nobody has any incentive to actually post here.

DeletedUser5524

All I see is; No one has any self control and doesn't want to follow rules. Its very easy to have a conversation on the forums and not get in any trouble. Lurks can probably tell me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure I have had this account for seven years or so, actively use the forums for discussion and have never received an infraction. Act like a sensible adult and you don't get punished lol

DeletedUser14129

All I see is; No one has any self control and doesn't want to follow rules. Its very easy to have a conversation on the forums and not get in any trouble. Lurks can probably tell me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure I have had this account for seven years or so, actively use the forums for discussion and have never received an infraction. Act like a sensible adult and you don't get punished lol
being a sensible young adult is not fun. I want to butt heads with people like pg and not get banned. idk that's just me and the same probably goes for tbom.

DeletedUser16559

If I may add my two cents, I have played this game off and on for a long time, (I started on en PI, I know that is not as long as some of you but hear me out). The forums were a lot more active then, and while I was not very active on them, I read them fairly often. I remember people complaining constantly about how strict the mods were, and mods would often shut people down for straying off topic in a thread. Despite this, the forums thrived. Maybe the rules are too strict, maybe the mods don't do a good job of enforcing them, whatever, but I don't think it's fair to say the mods killed the forums, the mods have always been like this.

I'm saying this not because I think it will change anyone's mind, but just so that someone has posted in the last two months

DeletedUser1048

If I may add my two cents, I have played this game off and on for a long time, (I started on en PI, I know that is not as long as some of you but hear me out). The forums were a lot more active then, and while I was not very active on them, I read them fairly often. I remember people complaining constantly about how strict the mods were, and mods would often shut people down for straying off topic in a thread. Despite this, the forums thrived. Maybe the rules are too strict, maybe the mods don't do a good job of enforcing them, whatever, but I don't think it's fair to say the mods killed the forums, the mods have always been like this.

I'm saying this not because I think it will change anyone's mind, but just so that someone has posted in the last two months

This is truth. No offtopic posts, no double posting, no mean words, they were heavily moderated. Not just with nice little warning and the deletion of posts, but with several point infractions or a few days of being unable to log into the forum, or permanent in rare cases. If anything I would say the mods are much more lenient now, I see many posts or things in wrong threads that would have given people warnings or infractions before and now they stand as is. My forum mod training from back then spot a lot of post now that I would have had to give infractions over in the past.

Lol back when I used this forum a thread like this would have been closed immediately and everyone who had posted in it would have been given a warning that if they spoke of this again they would get infracted for it. Same with these trash talking threads. I'm not even sure if the memes thread would have been permissible. I got in trouble once for using an image with the player's ign without their permission. Now we have 30 memes mentioning Jcoo by name lol

Y'all are spoiled by lurks and Ryv, I barely notice they are here most of the time because they let you speak relatively freely. Just might feel like it's restrictive because there's 5 of us so if one thing gets deleted that's half the new posts for the week :D

Last edited by a moderator: