A world with no competition - arranged victory

Asjo

Newcomer
I've been playing this world casually, and therefore haven't kept up with the politics of this world. It seems to have a low amount of players for a new world, this seems to be common for the US worlds (it seems that the international EN worlds are more active). What's more, it seems like everybody just wants a paper victory and don't really seem to like competition. It seems that there are four competitive alliances (the current top4), and three of these alliances are basically allies and playing together.

This has me quite confused. What is the point of playing in a Grepolis world where all the top players are working together. There can be only one winner, so what do the secondary alliances get out of it? Instead of fighting each other, Kraken Beers and DOOM simply seem to have a casual race to see who reaches the goal first, which Kraken Beers seems to be winning quite comfortably. Hopefully VIKINGS can challenge them, but it seems like numbers are greatly against them.

I would be very bored having no one to fight against, just grinding to get more cities. Is this the typical mentality in the US worlds? What am I missing? :)

boothead

Artisan
Yeah, US is a dead server! lol

Don't stress it! They got some girls working on that right now lmao, come back in 6 months with a pre-made. Thank us later. GO USA

hnuisqt

Newcomer
1. Not all the top players are playing together
2. Where do you get the idea that people dont want competition
3. What part of it is an arranged victory?

cjh92101

Senior Citizen
I would think its more of a reflection of the Olympus endgame. there isnt necessarily a need to fight in the core of the world and the first few weeks are about founding around the small temples your alliance hopes to capture. now that small temples are open and allies start getting buffs I'd expect more action in the core. this is also the first Revolt Olympus to my knowledge so people may be cautious and or adjusting.
Just a thought

Asjo

Newcomer
1. Not all the top players are playing together
2. Where do you get the idea that people dont want competition
3. What part of it is an arranged victory?
Well, if three out of four top alliances are working together, then it's pretty much an arranged victory, even if there are a few top players in the game are not part of this cooperation. This makes me thing that people, for some reason, want a win on paper, without having to earn it (ie. prefer not to have competition). I'm not sure if the permanent bonuses people get from winning play a part of this, but it seems like an awful waste of this, if this is the case.

So, all answers to your points are already addressed in my original post.

Asjo

Newcomer
I would think its more of a reflection of the Olympus endgame. there isnt necessarily a need to fight in the core of the world and the first few weeks are about founding around the small temples your alliance hopes to capture. now that small temples are open and allies start getting buffs I'd expect more action in the core. this is also the first Revolt Olympus to my knowledge so people may be cautious and or adjusting.
Just a thought
But if three of the top4 alliances are working together, how does this change later in the game? Do the suddenly break up? Like a "no rush four months" kind of agreement? Also, I'd say it would be pretty important to try to disrupt other alliances from getting temples or trying to compete with them for temples. After all, if you can prevent your main competitors from getting some of the early temples they're going for, or delay it drastically, that would leave you in a better position. At least, I'd assume that's the case. Otherwise, it's a terrible game mode if there is no need to fight each other for the first four months of the game.

pomo

Messenger
Well, if three out of four top alliances are working together, then it's pretty much an arranged victory, even if there are a few top players in the game are not part of this cooperation. This makes me thing that people, for some reason, want a win on paper, without having to earn it (ie. prefer not to have competition). I'm not sure if the permanent bonuses people get from winning play a part of this, but it seems like an awful waste of this, if this is the case.

Brah it’s a slow revolt world with active morale, what are you expecting?
All the greats to be slugging it out? Lmao

Asjo

Newcomer
Brah it’s a slow revolt world with active morale, what are you expecting?
All the greats to be slugging it out? Lmao
Why wouldn't the bigger players be fighting? The fact that it's a slow revolt world doesn't make too much of a difference. You just make sure to revolt as many cities as possible - then the speed won't prevent you from taking cities.

Morale would be even more of a reason to attack bigger players :)

pomo

Messenger
Yeah my point is that slow revolt worlds with morale are boring and no aggressive true fighter would join it, you’re left with a load of wannabe fighters that end up hugging it out to the end. Revolt is lame asf lol

hnuisqt

Newcomer

You completely misunderstand the dynamic of this world. They don't work together to kill the competition. They work together to have a chance of beating Kraken. Kraken is most likely to win this world and they haven't pacted with anyone so I wouldn't call it 'arranged' at all.

Not even being cocky, that is just the truth. Plus, I don't even know if they are all still working together.

pomo

Messenger
“They don’t work together to kill the competition”

“They work together to have a chance to beat kraken“

Who are their competition!

You’re literally contradicting yourself

Honestly you revolt players, just - lol!

SgtSeeker

Taxiarch
It's Kraken vs the world at the moment. Olympus revolt is just whoever spends more gold and cores up around portals the fastest.

As for US servers, its definitely less active than EN. Then again, EN is a cake walk against other European servers i.e. FR server lol

Any decent pre-made that drops here always ends up fighting a group of MRAs or groups of alliance hugging trying to catch up because of the gold expenditure (exactly how this game has been since around ~2011). There have been some recent worlds that were good head to head matchups like us118: Eretria.

Also Asjo, you play under a different ign in EN? cuz it looks like you got no wins, not even a top 15 in ABP/DBP in a world :rolleyes:

pomo

Messenger
Revolt are where inno make the most money, Golding them walls up constantly! This world was designed to be a cash cow but looks to be failing. oly and revolt

And Belle why tf you liking conflicting posts lmao

Asjo

Newcomer
You completely misunderstand the dynamic of this world. They don't work together to kill the competition. They work together to have a chance of beating Kraken. Kraken is most likely to win this world and they haven't pacted with anyone so I wouldn't call it 'arranged' at all.

Not even being cocky, that is just the truth. Plus, I don't even know if they are all still working together.
I think you misunderstand. Three of the top4 alliances are Kraken. Those are the alliances working together. They're not against Kraken. Kraken Beers, Kraken More Beers and DOOM are basically the same alliance. So, those three are basically fighting Vikings.

Asjo

Newcomer
Yeah my point is that slow revolt worlds with morale are boring and no aggressive true fighter would join it, you’re left with a load of wannabe fighters that end up hugging it out to the end. Revolt is lame asf lol
Well, revolt would involve somewhat more skill, since it's less about you being online and more about you being able to finesse your way around situations. It feels like conquest worlds are more of a numbers game, and if you only have a few cities and you're offline for a bit, you have no chance. Someone hits your city when you're offline a few hours, you don't have any chance unless you have numbers. A smaller alliance would never be able to take a city off a bigger one. Basically, you're forced to play in a very one-sided way, mainly making a lot of biremes and light ships, and you'd be force to use notifications on your phone, because if you're ever offline during an attack, you're fucked.

Also, a faster world just means you have to be online a lot. That's fine if you're unemployed or retired, but I'm sure there's a lot of "fighters" who would also like time for other things than the game. I don't think a slow world is likely to discourage fighters as such. I think you're probably right that the most active players will tend to want faster worlds, where they can do more in less time.

I agree, though, that Olympus worlds seem pretty shit, since they don't seem to encourage fighting as much, since there is more grinding and rushing towards the objective.

Asjo

Newcomer
It's Kraken vs the world at the moment. Olympus revolt is just whoever spends more gold and cores up around portals the fastest.

As for US servers, its definitely less active than EN. Then again, EN is a cake walk against other European servers i.e. FR server lol

Any decent pre-made that drops here always ends up fighting a group of MRAs or groups of alliance hugging trying to catch up because of the gold expenditure (exactly how this game has been since around ~2011). There have been some recent worlds that were good head to head matchups like us118: Eretria.

Also Asjo, you play under a different ign in EN? cuz it looks like you got no wins, not even a top 15 in ABP/DBP in a world :rolleyes:
I played mostly back in 2012. There, I was a top5 player on a DK-server and an EN-server (I think it was all conquest-worlds back then), and has a few EN-worlds I played superficially. No idea what username I would have used, but I made several guides under the username Asjo, so I would assume I used that username. The game was more active back then, as I remember it, and I quite when I realized that managing 150 cities was a second job. Then I accidentally came back to the game 2-3 years ago, late into a world, where I ended up as rank 20-30 or something, fortunately the world ended a few months after I started. Then I played a bit recently, but I finally wizened up after my alliance fell apart in two of the EN-worlds I played in, so I quit a few days ago.

And no, I certainly don't have any wins. When I played originally, I don't believe there were any alliance wins. I think I finished second or third. When I played 2-3 years ago, I wasn't going for any alliance win. I stuck it out with a small alliances and helped them fight the biggest ones, encouraging and teaching newer or less active players. Much more fun and rewarding. This time around, I've basically done the same. I can see how not using gold features and not being willing to use farming villages on more than one island is a big handicap, especially with how much advantage gold gives now away, with some people showing really rampant use. Even the fact that I don't install the app for attack notifications (or use the mobile app at all) seems like a huge disadvantage. With increase gold usage and the usage of mobile apps and mobile notifications, it definitely feels like this game is producing a more unhealthy experience for its players.

I was looking through the stats when considering whether to play any other server than the EN ones, and it did indeed seem that the French servers had the most players. It varies a lot, though, and while there was 1-2 French worlds with a lot of players, the others had similar numbers to the EN worlds. Of course, I can see how you'd see some servers where people are more active and fanatical about the game. And that's great - at least, I'd prefer to play in very active worlds, where people stick around and a lot of people are competing. I remember, back when the game was more active (and worlds lasted longer, I believe), how it was interesting to see new rim alliances pop up five months into the game and use their easier time to because powerhouses and end up challenging the bigger center-based alliances later on. There's basically be balances of power in every corner of the world, and no ocean that was populated would exist without great contest and conflict.

YoungShow

Newcomer
I played mostly back in 2012. There, I was a top5 player on a DK-server and an EN-server (I think it was all conquest-worlds back then), and has a few EN-worlds I played superficially. No idea what username I would have used, but I made several guides under the username Asjo, so I would assume I used that username. The game was more active back then, as I remember it, and I quite when I realized that managing 150 cities was a second job. Then I accidentally came back to the game 2-3 years ago, late into a world, where I ended up as rank 20-30 or something, fortunately the world ended a few months after I started. Then I played a bit recently, but I finally wizened up after my alliance fell apart in two of the EN-worlds I played in, so I quit a few days ago.

And no, I certainly don't have any wins. When I played originally, I don't believe there were any alliance wins. I think I finished second or third. When I played 2-3 years ago, I wasn't going for any alliance win. I stuck it out with a small alliances and helped them fight the biggest ones, encouraging and teaching newer or less active players. Much more fun and rewarding. This time around, I've basically done the same. I can see how not using gold features and not being willing to use farming villages on more than one island is a big handicap, especially with how much advantage gold gives now away, with some people showing really rampant use. Even the fact that I don't install the app for attack notifications (or use the mobile app at all) seems like a huge disadvantage. With increase gold usage and the usage of mobile apps and mobile notifications, it definitely feels like this game is producing a more unhealthy experience for its players.

I was looking through the stats when considering whether to play any other server than the EN ones, and it did indeed seem that the French servers had the most players. It varies a lot, though, and while there was 1-2 French worlds with a lot of players, the others had similar numbers to the EN worlds. Of course, I can see how you'd see some servers where people are more active and fanatical about the game. And that's great - at least, I'd prefer to play in very active worlds, where people stick around and a lot of people are competing. I remember, back when the game was more active (and worlds lasted longer, I believe), how it was interesting to see new rim alliances pop up five months into the game and use their easier time to because powerhouses and end up challenging the bigger center-based alliances later on. There's basically be balances of power in every corner of the world, and no ocean that was populated would exist without great contest and conflict.
Could you expand on how push notifications could be unhealthy for the game? As someone only starting to take on this game in it's mobile era it feels like there are only upsides.

hnuisqt

Newcomer
I think you misunderstand. Three of the top4 alliances are Kraken. Those are the alliances working together. They're not against Kraken. Kraken Beers, Kraken More Beers and DOOM are basically the same alliance. So, those three are basically fighting Vikings.
Ok I did misunderstand your point, but mostly because what you are saying isn't true.

Kraken has a sister alliance, but so does everyone else - they have less players than the other groups. No denying that they are the group with the most top players, but every world will have one of those.

Kraken has no relation to Doom. They definitely aren't playing together. You might think that because they hit Vikings more often, but there are pretty obvious strategic reasons for that (check map).

Also Kraken lost cities when Doom and Vikings op'ed them together.

Asjo

Newcomer
Could you expand on how push notifications could be unhealthy for the game? As someone only starting to take on this game in it's mobile era it feels like there are only upsides.
An online game which gives you push notification on your phone that you have to react to is very toxic. You will be lured into logging on at work or when you're out an about in social gatherings. Thus, it will have a very unhealthy impact on your life. You will never be able to leave the game alone, and you can always play it on your phone, which you keep on you most of times. That's no way to play a browser game - you're overly committed, and will likely stress out about it.