Who is coming?

DeletedUser262

The fact that I can gold farm up from 100 gold to 54,000+ gold without spending a dime on your game suggests that others can easily do it as well.
I made 10k in the last 2 weeks on this server alone. On a server that has been active for over a month. So yeah, it isn't hard. It is a lot easier than it once was actually. A couple years ago, like half the players were gold farmers, farming for their actual fights in other worlds. Dwindling player base though...

That said, I do not agree that there should be any monetary entry point for the game, even a soft entry point. At most money should provide a convenience that can also be earned in game. It should also be capped so someone that wants to spend thousands can't just buy their way into first place on the leader boards. Currently the leader boards are all wallet + skill = result, and they don't actually show who the best players are, but who can leverage their wallet the best or simply outspend everyone else. Oh, and cheaters of course.

From a game design perspective, no real money purchases should be in a game unless they are purely cosmetic. From a business perspective, that doesn't really work. There needs to be balance and obviously Inno has been too greedy regardless of counter arguments, because you can go look at games in beta testing using the same formula that have a larger active player base than this game does. The game is not attracting many new players, and those it does are not retained. People can argue it is because of reasons other than being pay to win, but I have played a few of these style games and a lot of other browser/app games and they all start to die when they become pay to win, without fail, regardless of how popular they were before that.

Also, as personal anecdotal evidence, I used to pay every time I started playing a new world in this game, until they made too many changes and turned it into a wallet driven game. So they stopped getting money from me. Seems Scot likely had a similar experience. It is not that we dislike the game, it is we dislike the direction it took and will not financially support it in it's current form.

DeletedUser7205

I have played a few of these style games and a lot of other browser/app games and they all start to die when they become pay to win, without fail, regardless of how popular they were before that.

This is pretty much something I have to agree with. It is fascinating that there are tons and tons and TONS of new free to play games that are extremely dev heavy and fast paced. Call of Duty is free to play. Apex Legends same and more. All are what you are describing. Essentially, the game is paid for completely by skins, artifacts, outfits and other cosmetic stuff. These games require immense server power and yet they still thrive. Grepolis requires almost no server power comparatively.

Unfortunately, with VPNs readily available there is are those that will always try to create multiple grep accounts under BS fake emails. Again, to solve this is pretty easy though. With free email addresses from everywhere, that cannot be the only method of verifying the account. If this game has not shifted 100% to pay to win, then the concept of worlds with gold use caps and mandatory advisors paid for by actual money is the only answer. Whether you believe it or not, if you really enjoy the game, you can indeed afford a whopping $19.99 / mo. If players had to pay for each fake account they made, that would almost immediately stop this cheating crap. Also, there are other ways as well such as registering a MAC address and registry entry buried and encrypted to a single grep account on one machine and one phone would halt this BS as well.

DeletedUser16479

@jason sanchez hence my point. If you can play for a decade spending a grand total of $50 then exactly how does that make Inno game profitable? You must be incredibly bored as a human if your time is worth $50 for ten year as well.
@Shock - good lord man you drink more than $20 a night in beer so you can afford $8 / month for advisers. Also if your in college, go on a date or something lol. Leave grep for those who have used up all their college years. Trust me, that's good advise. #AnimalHouseMovie
Nah bro. I don’t need to spend money on gold. I do well without it. I have plenty of free time. I’m not on grepolis 24-7. I have a family, career and military reserve obligations and do a lot of traveling. In essence, I have a life outside of grepolis. I see no reason to waste money on this game. But if you want to that’s your prerogative. If I want gold I trade for it. Which makes spending money even more retarded.

DeletedUser16359

@jason sanchez hence my point. If you can play for a decade spending a grand total of $50 then exactly how does that make Inno game profitable? You must be incredibly bored as a human if your time is worth $50 for ten year as well.
could you elaborate on this? I can't understand how spending more than is necessary would make this game, or anything for that matter, more enjoyable. Again, it isn't necessary to spend in order to be successful.

If players had to pay for each fake account they made, that would almost immediately stop this cheating crap. Also, there are other ways as well such as registering a MAC address and registry entry buried and encrypted to a single grep account on one machine and one phone would halt this BS as well.

this would interest me though, one time registration fee would at least add a cost to the spam tactics. Might turn away new people that haven't really found an interest in the game yet, maybe ask for it at the end of beginners protection. Idk that you could limit the number of devices with people constantly moving between desktops, phones, tablets, and replacements to all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7205

could you elaborate on this? I can't understand how spending more than is necessary would make this game, or anything for that matter, more enjoyable. Again, it isn't necessary to spend in order to be successful.

Sure I can elaborate on that with basic economic principles. If you have no monetary investment in Grep (or anything), when things don't work out, there is nothing keeping you from just quitting then souring the game further for others to just go play in another "free" game. When you investing your money into anything, you are far more likely to stick with it through strategic difficulties.

DeletedUser7205

this would interest me though, one time registration fee would at least add a cost to the spam tactics. Might turn away new people that haven't really found an interest in the game yet, maybe ask for it at the end of beginners protection. Idk that you could limit the number of devices with people constantly moving between desktops, phones, tablets, and replacements to all.

The people that are (were) the base for Grepolis might have 3 total devices they use regularly. A) Their home PC or laptop B) Mobile App C) Work PC (shhhhhhhh!). Perhaps something like a small one time fee for your first 3 or 4 devices for each account? That might be good.

Maybe the registration concept is a good one also. If they fail to pay it by end of beginners protection, their cities should disappear though rather than just ghost IMHO.

SageOfSixDabs

Newcomer
I've spent no money and already on my second city before my beginner protection is up. Could be on 3 or 4 but I have my farms on lvl 6 as well. As long as you're active and able to roll your missions/favor properly in sync then you should have no issues keeping up on a speed 4 world. It's so fast already. I know I'm super late to the world but it's gonna be a fun one to get back into the game on before I play a new world on start day eventually.