Traffic overload: A players demise

Discussion in 'Acropolis - Not world specific' started by Sloth Almighty, Jan 8, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Sloth Almighty

Sloth Almighty Philosopher

I would like to know if more time could be spent on improving the traffic jamming system that gets exploited a little too well by us all.

I pride myself on the fact that the only way i'm going to lose a city, is if you op me on a decent scale. The challenge an OP on you brings to the table is fantastic, hardens up your play style and keeps you on your toes!

The biggest downfall of this game in my opinion, is the severe lag suffered when being opped. Even on a 100Mbps connection and a decent system, creeping up to the 250+ commands in the overview really struggles to handle the flow. The game freezes, gets buggy, doesn't refresh properly... makes sniping and fair play extremely difficult to accomplish. Basically takes the players skill away, no matter the level, and places them in the passenger seat to watch it all unfold. Especially when you have 20-30 flash pings every minute for the last 10 minutes of an incoming.

And that is just the browser. The app has refused to let me into the game (brown back ground and spinning disk indefinitely) due to the amount of commands. My phone has actually frozen twice from the amount of alarms going off.

I know i'm not the only one who has been impeded by this fault. Surely there must be some sort of system we can implement to compensate this severe lag during emergency grep situations such as being opped? Perhaps like a 'safe mode' of sorts even you can enter, it strips all the pretty stuff away and leaves only important information with instant update etc.

I'm really trying hard to enjoy all out war in Grepolis, as thats the actual attraction for the game in the first place, but I struggle to enjoy it when it basically kicks all skill and knowledge out the window and just hands you the popcorn to watch instead.

ExtremeJeff, Goinski and Mole Man 420 like this.
  2. bend24

bend24 Peltast

Has this recently become an issue? Back a few years ago I routinely had 100+ attacks at a time, sometimes more headed at me and never had a problem with the game getting laggy or buggy.

3. ExtremeJeff

ExtremeJeff Citizen

I think it could easily be fixed if, when you first open the Command Overview, it doesn't just show everything for every single city. That's the main reason there's a lag issue. If you're given a choice right away to just view commands for one city, the chances are far lower you will get that severe lag.
    The lag also happens if you send tons of attacks out so it's not just if you're op'd.

4. Sloth Almighty

100+ seems fine for me too. Its when it hits 250+ is the issue. 300+ is what i had last week, i literally could not play the game. Click on a city to dodge too, wait 13 seconds (i counted) and the menu would start animating to open (another 7 seconds for the menu to finish animating before you can click). Then you click, and wait another 15 odd seconds and the units dialog will display.
    But time you navigate your way around a simple dodge command, you have wasted up too 1 minute. And when 25-30 cities are getting hit all at once, that 1 minute might as well be a lifetime.

5. Sloth Almighty

Looks like our prayers have been answered, as posted on the dev blog;

"One result of this process is an upcoming sprint that is almost solely dedicated on performance related improvements in an attempt to improve the stability of the game in situations with a lot of commands being sent to single players."

6. Antz2013

Antz2013 Staff Member

A few months ago a group of the players I know in en tested grey screening on their own to see how many attacks one of the player could take before it occurred.

In the end, the receiving player had roughly 1700 incoming attacks (mainly minimal attacks in case you were wondering) without being grey screened. He noted that there was a lot of lag time if he was in the city being attacked at, but if he was not in that city then the lag was not as bad.

Whether this is still reflective of the system I do not know but might be something to consider.