The Weekly Timber (Issue 1)

DeletedUser

Hello readers, I am here today to show you the news in Lambda here in this forum. We have a variety of different topics in this paper, from top 12 analysis, to some cartoons, to sudoku, even a sport section, and much much more. If this doesn't satisfy your interest then you are out of luck.

Top 12 Alliances

1. nWo- nWo. is an alliance based mainly in Ocean 55. They are one of four alliances that have over 100 players. They have the second highest average points, and only are third in abp. Overall they have a lot of dead weight, not many experienced players, lack of abp or fighting in general, and lack a solid leader. I see them getting destroyed either by internal issues or by losing a war, whichever happens first.

2. The Grim Reapers- The Grim Reapers is an alliance based mainly in 44. They are another alliance that has over 100 players. They have low average points for there size, and are a dreadful 5th in abp. Overall they are an example of an MRA just like nWo. Also they are pushing closer to Apex core yet don't want us to continue farming there cities. We will not stop so will this be the start of a war between the two alliances? I see that either this potential war or internal issues shall make The Grim Reapers collapse.

3. The Masons- Another alliance based mainly in 55. The Masons are another alliance with over 100 players, however they are the best alliance with over 100 members. They are 2nd in abp and have the 4th highest average points in the top 12. They have a decent amount of experienced players and will be the toughest MRA to destroy. I don't know anything about there leadership as each member is sworn to secrecy unless they get in trouble. Since they are so secretive can they be a trustworthy ally? Overall they are not that bad although they seem to let just about anyone join and have to kick off some dead weight.

4. Killer Bees- An alliance based in 57, and another alliance with over 100 players. Low average points, what appears to be a lot of dead weight, and they are only 8th in abp. Being in a rim ocean though they should do just fine even as an MRA, as there will be no threats to stop them, but like any alliance they can fall from internal issues.

5. Numbers and Figures- Probably the best alliance in Lambda, they have the highest average points. They have the second lowest member count, and are the leaders in bp. Not to mention 13 of the first 15 players in abp are in this group. They are talented, true warriors and an example to the rest of Lambda who seems not to be doing much of anything. An aggressive alliance with solid leadership, I don't see a single alliance right now who can beat them. Assuming players are happy there I think they will last a long time.

6. ARMIGERIS- This is an alliance based mainly in ocean 56. They have decent average points for a rim ocean alliance, and are 9th in abp which isn't bad considering there late start. They have some dead weight, and will allow anyone in 56 to join them. Sounds a bit like an MRA but being the rim they will do fine. I wonder if they will expand north into 55 so they can fight some wars or instead will they just sit back and relax in 56 and wait for potential threats to expand towards them?

7. Bazaar Tactics- This is an alliance based mainly in ocean 35. These guys are an MRA, they had as much as 92 players after the first 4 days in this world. They will need to learn that quality is better than quantity. They are only 15th in abp which is terrible for an alliance of this size. But since they are in the rim they will probably do alright, like the other MRA's they have a nice amount of dead weight and there founder lets every player in his alliance be a founder for a week. So perhaps they will destroy themselves, if not they are to far away from any of the good alliances to be destroyed by war.

8. Apokalypse Angels- This alliance is based in 55. They are another MRA, and there leaders are inactive. They are 7th in abp which isn't that bad, but have low average points and seem to have little activity. I think they are already slowly collapsing and are nice farms right now for anyone in 55.

9. Devils and Angels- An alliance spread out across several oceans with no real core. They started off as an MRA, but put up some strong bp numbers. Now there leaders are inactive and the alliance will slowly collapse.

10. The Secret Society- this is one of the many top 12 alliances based in 55. They have a decent member counts and have decent average points. They are 12th in abp, pretty low especially since there are plenty of targets in this ocean. While they are not an MRA I still have my doubts on whether they will survive long.

11. Eye of the Tiger- An alliance based mainly in 54, Eye of the Tiger is another MRA. They are 14th in abp,very low for an alliance with there member count. Very low average points, a ton of dead weight, and lack of good leadership I don't see them lasting long.

12. HoffinPoffoGropolin- An alliance based in 45, they are a solid alliance. They are ranked 6th in abp, and in my opinion they are the 2nd best alliance in the top 12. Low member count, nice average points, and good leadership I expect them to last for a long time. I expect them to go up in the rankings once some of the MRA's start to die off.

Up and Coming Alliances
Here we look at some solid alliances who are not yet in the top 12.

Direwolves- Well they are a great example of quality over quantity. Only 7 members but they are 15th in abp and they average abp per player is almost 400 which is not bad this early into the world. They have the potential to be a solid alliance for a long time. The only thing that can jeopardize there future is with the lack of players in there alliance they will have difficulty stacking there cities with defense which will put them at risk for being conquest targets of another alliance in there area in the near future. They can prevent this by finding ways of getting some more good players into there alliance or by merging into another alliance.

Manticore- Manticore is another alliance with the potential to be a strong alliance for a long time. This alliance has a nice core and is a group of friends who have been playing war games together for 2 years. So they obviously have developed a strong relationship with each other which is great. They will support each other until the end and will only be loyal toward each other. They are still learning the game mechanics here but that won't stop them from being one of the strongest alliances in 54.

APEX- This alliance has the potential to be successful for a long time like the others. APEX is an alliance filled mainly with grepo vets. APEX has a nice core with 14 players on one island and has solid leadership. Based in 54 with no threats unless you include Manticore they should have no problems being the top alliance in 54.

Rise Against- An alliance based mainly in 56, they are a solid alliance. A nice smaller group in a rim ocean, with good leadership, nice activity, decent average points, and decent abp for an alliance on the rim. I think they will be one of the more aggressive rim ocean alliances and I see them doing real well in 56.

Interviews:

[SPR]Icarus88 of HoffinPoffoGropolin

Q: What alliance's performance has surprised you the most so far?

A: I'd have to say my own and Numbers And Figures surprised me the most. Both of us came around and began facing MRAs and have expanded and locked out pretty much every MRA around us.

Q: What in your opinion makes a sound alliance?

A: Activity is the biggest thing that makes a sound alliance. If everyone is active you can do anything. However, I also say that checked and balanced growth helps, as mass recruiting usually leans to being unorganized.

Q: What advice do you have for new players?

A: Biggest thing is don't join an MRA. Join a smallish alliance with experienced players and they can teach you.

Q: When looking for possible recruits, what is the first three criteria you look for in them? (Please Explain in details)

A: When looking for recruits I look at location first and foremost, you can't invite someone who is 6 hours via your fastest ship away from you because you can't logically support one another, keep it localized. Next I look at rating. The minimum rating changes as time passes, but you have to keep an eye to see if they are active or not in their cities growth. Finally I look at personality. I want to have friendly but responsible players in my alliance, and one's that won't give me future issues.

Q: What makes your alliance the best in Lambda in your opinion?

A: I believe I and my pact alliance are likely the two strongest in the ocean. Mainly due to activity and organization. We have managed to basically control our areas and pretty much destabilize the MRAs around us.

Q: Is your alliance at war with any others?

We are at war with other alliances but I am not at liberty to say who and can't share any information about that.[/SPR]

[SPR]TheokolesOne of The Legion of Poseidon

A: My own, but for reasons other than you might think. We had some significant adversity very quickly, but we have come together to overcome it and are working towards a solid unity.

A: Communication. Yes it's down to one word.

A: Build, build, build. Farm, farm, farm. And get into a good alliance that communicates well.

Q: When looking for possible recruits, what is the first three criteria you look for in them? (Please Explain in details)

A: Activity, if you're not playing frequently you are not an asset. Loyalty, I don't like to take in alliance hoppers, you never know where their loyalties lie. Experience, not the most important quality but it certainly helps.

Q: What are some of the goals of your alliance? How will you be able to achieve these goals?

A: We are the number one alliance in our ocean, we intend to stay there. We also plan to expand that into other oceans in time and ultimately in all of Lambda. But then isn't that the ultimate goal of the game? lol How? Well we'll just let you watch for the answer to that.

A: We have a loyal group that has already proven they will stick together, and I am proud to be their Founder/Leader.[/SPR]

[SPR]404NotFound of Devils and Angels

A: Performance who surprised me? So I think mine as I find some loyal players and some with experience :)

A: No advice. All the players must develop theirself with their powers and after to say things like: "I'm attacked, I need help" .

Q: When looking for possible recruits, what is the first three things you look for in them? (Please Explain in details)

A: I can't choose someone to join ... because I don't know these servers very well ... I can't say about one player as he is good and have experience ... more and more players (In the first part of game) sent me message like "I'm an experienced player, give me an invitation please" and many other things ... what's should I make? I sent them an invitation and many leaved D&A for a MRA.

Q: What are some of the goals of your alliance? How will you be able to achieve these goals?

A: I have never wanted to win this world ... because it's speed 1 ... I'm looking for a world with speed 3 ... but I really have wished to take some milestones :) ... this was a test alliance ... because now I know some good players who can help me in the next world (wish to a world with speed 3) to make the best core of cities ...

A: This alliance? the best? don't joke with me ... sure in the first part D&A was the best ... that's certainly ... but I had players when other alliance hadn't ... but after, all alliances will declare us war. We hadn't a core ... because of this, D&A was sank .

A: It's nothing secret right now ... we have war with N&F and their allies ...[/SPR]

[SPR]The Candyman of The Grim Reapers

A: I think that my alliances performance has surprised me the most ([ally]The Grim Reapers[/ally]).

A: I think active smart players make a good alliance.

A: My advice for new players is choose your alliance wisely, wait a couple worlds before you run an alliance, and keep building up troops and your city, also you need BP to get more cities later, so don't forget to attack people.

Q: When looking for possible recruits, what is the some of the things you look for in them? (Please Explain in details)

A: Well, I normally talk to them for a while, but right now I pretty much just want new people in my core and I am giving a couple days to prove worthy and get a lot of points.

A: My goals for this alliance is to have good pacts with other alliances and also eventually be number 1 in this world.

A: Well we actually have a lot of active helpful members, we have over 100,000 points in our core, our average is low, but because we are giving newer players in this world a chance, and we have moved up tons of ranks recently.

A: We are at war with others, but i would not like to say who.[/SPR]

DeletedUser

Comedy 101

Here we usually will have some funny battle reports from in game and funny messages, but I don't have any of those yet. In this issue we have an interesting conversation about my milestone thread, and a leader who refused to do an interview because he doesn't like the forum.

PersianKing 5/30/13 at 9:58 AM EST

It's a grand idea to give players recognition for the various "Milestones" you have posted, it generates a buzz within the server and draws players back to come back time and time again to review your forum, and I do understand that is your sole intention, to get players to gain interest and participate in your forum...however, I don't understand why you would make it a Notable Achievement for the player who would gain acceptance into an alliance, earn the trust of the Founder and the members, and then maliciously boot every player or dissolve the alliance. I just don't see how there's anything honorable or praiseworthy in an act like that. I would hardly think that this type of game-play would be encouraged by someone in your position. Members put in a lot of hours and work in building up their alliance, and if something like that were to happen it could possibly be the reason that they would leave Grepolis and not return to play again. Just saying. It's NOT a notable achievement. Period. It's despicable.

The Twister 5/30/13 at 10:15 AM EST

While it is not honorable or right to do it, it is still a milestone. It is a notable achievement because one it is difficult to perform as leaders are more cautious about giving other players leadership authority, and the other thing that makes it a notable achievement is that you are destroying a top alliance with just a few clicks. Yes it is morally wrong but it is still a milestone and a difficult feat to accomplish.

Persian King 5/30/13 at 11:02 AM EST

Well, you've pretty much killed my own style of game-play, as I have established a system within our hierarchy whereas the leadership roles within our alliance would be filled on a rotating schedule, every other week a member of our alliance who had proven to us by remaining active in expanding their city and participating in the forums would be given the opportunity to step up into a higher role within our alliance. It was an incentive I felt would have encouraged our members to play more frequently and work just a little harder at progressing in the game.

Now though, I have to worry about spies and would be saboteurs infiltrating our ranks. I must say, you've taken a bit of the fun out of the game for me.

The Twister 5/30/13 at 11:09 AM EST

lol Dude spies and saboteurs would have been in your alliance regardless what my milestones said, some people enjoy destroying other alliances. I know one guy in another who didn't want to join an alliance and 3 MRA's kept bugging him to join and promised him leadership. So he decided to have some fun an ruin the alliance. Having an alliance sabotaged can be prevented if the leaders are smart and don't try to woe players to them by promising leadership. Alliances that get sabotaged are usually run by weak and foolish alliance founders who don't comprehend how to run an alliance properly anyway. It is not like I am advertising to everyone that they should sabotage an alliance, I am just merely recording every significant event that happens in this world. That way when we look back we can remember all those nice memories of when it all started :D

For the readers who don't like reading big blocks of text this picture sums up what happened:

[SPR] [/SPR]

Kind of strange how he started of complimenting me for making a milestone thread to almost accusing me of encouraging players to spy and sabotage alliances. But people never fail to surprise me :D

Now here is a message from one of the alliance founders I asked to interview:

CommanderTonyy 5/26/13 at 21:11 AM EST

No thanks, all that arguing I see on there and my brother being part of it. I don't take that to be serious.

CommanderTonyy:

[SPR] [/SPR]

What Tonyy thinks the Forum looks like:

[SPR] [/SPR]

What it really looks like:

[SPR] [/SPR]

Tips For Newbs

* Learn your offensive and defensive units! You need to make sure you are attacking and defending with the right units unless you will end up losing a lot of troops for carelessness.

* If you are facing an attack, you can dodge by sending your troops as support to another city and then recall them as needed and enlist the militia. This will give you some free bp while not losing any troops. You should be dodging almost every incoming attack as this is a conquest world. Only time you do not dodge is when a Colony Ship is coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

* Be active in the alliance forums. In order to receive help or to work as a team in general you need to be reading and posting in the forum daily. It is important to be aware about what is happening in your alliance so you can be prepared and so you can help out your teammates. In order to request for support or to claim a city you need to know how to us BB Codes.

On This Day in History

On this day in 1980, CNN (Cable News Network), the world's first 24-hour television news network, makes its debut. The network signed on at 6 p.m. EST from its headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, with a lead story about the attempted assassination of civil rights leader Vernon Jordan. CNN went on to change the notion that news could only be reported at fixed times throughout the day. At the time of CNN's launch, TV news was dominated by three major networks--ABC, CBS and NBC--and their nightly 30-minute broadcasts. Initially available in less than two million U.S. homes, today CNN is seen in more than 89 million American households and over 160 million homes internationally.

In its first years of operation, CNN lost money and was ridiculed as the Chicken Noodle Network. However, Turner continued to invest in building up the network's news bureaus around the world and in 1983, he bought Satellite News Channel, owned in part by ABC, and thereby eliminated CNN's main competitor. CNN eventually came to be known for covering live events around the world as they happened, often beating the major networks to the punch. The network gained significant traction with its live coverage of the Persian Gulf War in 1991 and the network's audience grew along with the increasing popularity of cable television during the 1990s.

Current Events

*A new SARS-like virus recently found in humans continues to spread -- with the worldwide total now at 49, the World Health Organization said Wednesday. Of the 49 known infections with the MERS-CoV virus, 27 have resulted in death, the organization said. The latest deaths were reported in Saudi Arabia. The Saudi health ministry said Wednesday that three people died from their infections in the country's eastern region.
How is dangerous new virus spreading? WHO tracks new coronavirus to Middle East
The virus is "a threat to the entire world," the WHO's general director said Monday. Although many of the cases have occurred on the Arabian Peninsula, people have died of the infection elsewhere. However, "all of the European cases have had a direct or indirect connection to the Middle East," the WHO said earlier this month. But "in France and the United Kingdom, there has been limited local transmission among close contacts who had not been to the Middle East but had been in contact with a traveler recently returned from the Middle East."
On Tuesday, a patient died in France after having contracted the virus during a trip to the Middle East, the WHO reported. Coronaviruses cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, as well as a variety of animal diseases. However, the new virus is not SARS. The WHO recently gave it a more specific name: Middle East respiratory symptom coronavirus, or MERS-CoV. It acts like a cold virus and attacks the respiratory system, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said. But symptoms, which include fever and a cough, are severe and can lead to pneumonia and kidney failure. Health officials do not yet know much about how the virus spreads, which makes it hard for scientists to prevent infections. The WHO is calling for the world to pull together its resources to study and tackle the virus. Will this be an epidemic? Fortunately there are no cases of this disease here in the US yet.

*Two attackers and a security guard were killed on Wednesday during an assault on a Red Cross building in Afghanistan and a gun battle between police and militants, an Interior Ministry spokesman said. Insurgents stormed the International Committee of the Red Cross building in Jalalabad, in eastern Afghanistan. Afghan parliament member Haji Hazrat Ali told CNN the incident started with one attacker blowing himself up and others entering the building. Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said forces surrounded the building and engaged in a gun battle with the attackers. Seven foreign nationals were rescued and one ICRC foreign staffer was slightly injured, he said. NATO's International Security Assistance Force said Afghan personnel secured the scene. The ICRC confirmed an incident occurred at the building. On Friday, attackers wielding suicide bombs, grenades and machine guns in Kabul struck the compound of another foreign agency -- the International Organization for Migration. Three Afghans died in the strike, the IOM said, and three international staffers were wounded, one seriously. The agency also said all of the attackers were killed. The IOM helps displaced people across the world.

*The CEO of pizza giant Papa John's has apologized to a Sanford, Florida, customer after a delivery man accidentally dialed the customer and left a racist rant on the man's voice mail. The apology came after a customer posted on YouTube a video of the voice mail message, which featured the delivery man using racial slurs as he complained to another Papa John's employee about the size of tips he receives from African-Americans.

DeletedUser

Sports

NBA

Spurs Sweep Memphis
Go ahead and count out the San Antonio Spurs as simply too old to win another title with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and coach Gregg Popovich. They're back anyway with the chance they've wanted so very much the past six years.

Parker scored 37 points in his best game this postseason, and the Spurs finished off a sweep Monday night of the Memphis Grizzlies with a 93-86 win on Monday night for their fifth Western Conference title.

"It's a great feeling," Parker said as he sat with the Western Conference trophy perched in front of him.

"Since last year, I promised to him (Duncan) that we will go back, go back to the Finals and get an opportunity to win the whole thing and I'm trying to do my best, try to be aggressive every night. I think everybody on the team, we really want to do it for him. We win the West and now it's one more step. This is the hardest one."

The Spurs now wait for either Miami or Indiana having swept two of their three opponents already this postseason, this the first sweep in a conference final since the Nets did it to Detroit in 2003. They also have won six straight in these playoffs, handing two straight losses to a team that had been undefeated on their own court in their best postseason in franchise history.

Memphis finished off its best season ever swept by the very same franchise that needed four games to knock them out of their first playoff appearance back in 2004.

Sale of Kings is Official
A new owner is in place. A new coach is on the way. And for the first time in 14 years, Sacramento Kings fans can celebrate a new era.

The Maloof family completed the sale of the Kings and Sleep Train Arena to a group led by TIBCO Software chairman Vivek Ranadive on Friday, officially transferring ownership of the NBA franchise. Ranadive's group acquired a 65 percent controlling interest in the team at a total franchise valuation of more than $534 million, topping the NBA record of $450 million that Joe Lacob and Peter Guber paid for the Golden State Warriors in 2010.

"We are pleased for both the Maloof family and the Ranadive group, but particularly pleased for the fans of the Kings," NBA commissioner David Stern said.

Brothers George, Joe and Gavin Maloof also released statements thanking NBA owners, Stern and the family's limited partners with the Kings. George Maloof specifically praised Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson and the City Council "for their efforts and loyalty to the Sacramento community."

Stern told The Sacramento Bee the new ownership group must meet "a series of benchmarks" for a new arena. If the deadlines, which the Randive group agreed to as part of the sale, are not met, Sacramento risks losing the team to another city, Stern told the newspaper.

Heat Lead Series 3-2
Standing on the cusp of the NBA Finals has tended to agree with the Miami Heat in each of the last two seasons. When the Heat have gotten a game away from the title round, they've finished the task as quickly as possible.

And here they are again.

A third straight Eastern Conference title is now just one win away for the reigning champions, though if the way this series has gone so far is an accurate indicator, that win will hardly come easily. The Heat -- without suspended forward Chris Andersen -- will visit the Indiana Pacers on Saturday night, leading the best-of-seven East finals 3-2 and in position to close out their new rivals on their own floor for the second straight season.

"We're desperate, too," Heat forward and four-time NBA MVP LeBron James said Friday. "We're desperate to get back to the NBA Finals. So both teams are desperate in their own sense of they're trying to keep their season alive and we're trying to advance."

The teams have alternated wins and losses through the first five games, and if that trend holds, then it's the Pacers' turn to prevail on Saturday and send the series back to Miami for a winner-goes-to-the-finals Game 7 on Monday night.

If the Heat -- who have won each of their last six potential series-closeout games, including two in the 2011 and 2012 East finals -- win, then the championship round against the San Antonio Spurs will begin in Miami on Thursday.

"You can't start thinking about opening up the invitation," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "That's over there. You can't even think about that."

The Pacers saw their season end a year ago on their home floor, at Miami's hand, in Game 6 of a second-round series. So Indiana's biggest source of motivation on Saturday may be the desire to avoid the indignity of watching Miami advance in Indianapolis for a second straight season.

NHL

Kings vs. Blackhawks
For all the difficulties they endured along the way, the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings are still standing.

They might want to buckle up, though. The ride could get even wilder.

The Blackhawks and Kings are poised for what could be a tight and lengthy Western Conference finals, with Game 1 at the United Center on Saturday.

The Kings already have more playoff losses than they did a year ago when they went on a 16-4 run through the postseason to capture the Stanley Cup as an eighth seed.

The next challenge is a big one, too. No goalie is more on his game at the moment than the Kings' Jonathan Quick. All the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner has done is allow just 20 goals in 13 postseason games while carrying Los Angeles to its second straight conference final.

He leads the playoffs in goals-against average (1.50), save percentage (.948 ) and shutouts (three), and the Kings have needed it with their offense generating little.

They're averaging just two goals per game in the postseason, and they realize they need to rediscover their scoring touch. That wasn't an issue during the regular season, when they were 10th in the NHL and boasted the Western Conference's top goal scorer in Jeff Carter.

Getting center Jarret Stoll back would help. He suffered an apparent concussion on an illegal hit to the head in the series opener against San Jose and has been sidelined since. He skated with the team this week, but coach Darryl Sutter had no update Friday.

Despite their difficulties putting the puck in the net, the Kings have gotten by. They dropped the first two games at St. Louis and needed seven to take out San Jose in the semifinals, with all four wins coming at home. It was a physical series that probably didn't earn many style points. And to that, the Kings basically say so what.

Now, it's the Blackhawks with the home-ice advantage and games on back-to-back days in their arena. Clearly, they see an opportunity there.

But they also had their difficulties with a physical Detroit team, and here come the hard-hitting Kings.

Penguins Goalie
The NHL's most unlikely postseason success story is nearly bald, his hairline an unwitting casualty to three decades spent hidden under a goaltender's mask.

All those long winters -- including 16 in the best league in the world -- never led to long springs, however, for Tomas Vokoun. Until now.

Halfway through the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs the two-time All-Star turned journeyman backup holds the key to the Pittsburgh Penguins' playoff hopes. He is, for the first time in his life, the "hot goalie" during the most important time of year.

Heading into Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Boston Bruins Saturday night, Vokoun's numbers appear to be a misprint. Seven starts. Six wins. One very stoic and largely anonymous presence at the back of Pittsburgh's star-laden attack.

Given a week to ponder his remarkable run after taking over for struggling Marc-Andre Fleury in Game 5 of the first-round series against the New York Islanders, Vokoun insists he's trying not to think about what it all means, with varying levels of success.

"You just know that you're playing well, you're trying to do the right things," Vokoun said. "You try not to treat it any differently, even if you know the stakes are just getting bigger."

It's a phenomenon unique to goaltenders this time of year. For all the talk about the importance of playoff experience, the guys in the back of the net can sometimes seem immune to the pressure.

Vokoun never played on a team that made it past the opening round of the postseason until Pittsburgh ousted the Islanders in six games three weeks ago. He was hardly overcome by the stage in the second round against Ottawa, allowing all of 11 goals in five games, including a pair of of meaningless scores after the Penguins already had things well in hand during Game 4 and 5 routs.

NHL history is littered with callow goalies who have ended up lifting the Cup. Martin Brodeur was 22. Patrick Roy was 20. Ken Dryden was 23. Jonathan Quick was 4-8 in the playoffs before going 16-4 and leading the Los Angeles Kings to the championship at 26.

Vokoun is at the opposite end of his career but enjoying the same kind of coming-out party. It's uncharted territory for a player acquired for a mere seventh-round pick last summer as an insurance plan should Fleury falter.

MLB

Indians Apologize to Fans
The Cleveland Indians have issued an apology to fans who attended Friday night's game with Tampa Bay that had nearly five hours of rain delays and ended at 2:53 a.m.

Indians president Mark Shapiro met with reporters before Saturday's game and said the team feels "terrible" about what took place Friday and will reach out to fans to show that.

Friday's game, scheduled to start at 7:05 p.m., was delayed three times before finally resuming at 12:13 a.m. -- 2 hours, 39 minutes after the third and longest delay. The teams were delayed a total of 4:49 before the Rays emerged with a 9-2 win.

International Draft?
Major League Baseball has abandoned its attempt to start an international draft of amateur players next year, likely pushing the matter back to collective bargaining for the labor contract that will start in 2017.

Under the five-year labor deal agreed to in November 2011, the sides held discussions about a draft and MLB had the right to inform the union by Saturday if it planned to start one next year. If MLB had given that notification, the union would have had until June 15 to veto it.

The sides said Friday that talks had ended.

"At this time, the players are not prepared to accept an international draft," union head Michael Weiner said in a statement. "The MLBPA will continue to discuss with players and the commissioner's office the many issues facing its international members."

MLB began restraints on international signings last summer.

Since there will be no draft, the system of a signing bonus pool with penalties for exceeding thresholds will remain in place. For the period that began last July 2 and ends June 15, the threshold was $2.9 million.

For 2013-14, the thresholds are based on reverse order of winning percentage in 2012. The Houston Astros have the highest pool at $4,943,700 and the Washington Nationals the lowest at $1,846,900, resulting in overall less money available for international players without teams incurring penalties.

For both 2012-13 and 2013-14, a team's six-highest signing bonuses up to $50,000 will not count toward its pool, and bonuses below $7,500 will not be included.

Only players from the U.S., Canada and U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico are eligible for the current amateur draft, which started in 1965.

MLB said the parties couldn't agree "on some of the mechanics and procedures related to such a draft."

"The parties intend to continue to discuss international amateur talent issues," it said in a statement.

*Sports Articles are from ESPN.

Cartoons

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

Sudoku
[SPR] [/SPR]

Answers:
[SPR] [/SPR]

Written By: The Twister

Additional Credit to: Tyler Boyd for inspiration, all of the leaders who did the interview, and Persian King for send me an interesting message to post.

Enjoy guys :)

DeletedUser

Very well done, obvious you spent time and effort creating this! It's a shame that my alliance (Playing With Fire) didn't make it into the "Up and Coming Alliances". Half of the alliance is still in Beginner's Protection and we have already reached 16th ABP, higher than all the alliances listed. I'm sure I'm being a bit biased, and you have your reasons for not including us, but it just means we'll have to work twice as hard this next week :)

DeletedUser

View attachment 740

The Twister, no one is as surprised as I am, let me tell you. I never would have thought that my correspondence to you concerning your "Notable Player Achievements" which I had purposely chosen to communicate my opinion to you privately via personal message would quite literally become front page news for what must me hundreds of thousands of players within the Grepolis gaming comunity. I'm actually filled with a bit of mixed emotions at the moment, I'm not sure if I should be flattered or outraged, and so I am having a bit of trouble sorting it all out at the moment.

You truly live up to your namesake, I'll give you that much credit, "Twister", indeed. You've stated that we're an MRA...call me a NOOB, but I'm not sure exactly what it is you're implying by that. It wasn't until after we'd had well over 80 or so member's until I came to the forum and published a post requesting that players from Ocean's 34 and 35 join, since the result of many hours in front of the computer scouring the map in those two quadrants, painting every players flag yellow who's score was above 500, sending them a copy & pasted template of my design for the purpose of a recruitment campaign, and waiting for responses indicating interest in joining before sending the actual invite won the interest and respect of not only the members who are now presently with me in Bazaar Tactics and Bazaar Influence, but also %80 of The Legion of Poseidon. Ask TheoKolesOne how it was he came to acquire his members within his alliance, interview each on of them and ask them why they chose to join The Legion of Poseidon. I bet they say it was because of the message they received from the Head Recruiter, "KingsMan". I am he. Interview them and ask them who Republic of Poseidon is. Interview their members. Ask them why they joined. There's a story there for you. I bet they all say it was because of the message they received from "KingsMan".

"Comedy 101"...the concern I raised civilly and privately with you was humorous was it? Let me ask you, do you get paid to do what you do? I bet not. As a Moderator, you suck. You aren't even able to spell correctly, what are you doing in charge of a forum? You fancy yourself to be a reporter do you? Perhaps Fox News would be interested in you, but as for me, I'm not impressed. What you've done by publishing what was intended to be private communications is both unethical and inappropriate. You have neither the license nor the right to do such a thing. Who do you think you are? You started this game the same day I did on this server. You laugh and mock me, find so much humor in it, and yet I've built 4 alliances in 2 weeks I've been playing, 2 of them just for giggles, these other two for the long run...and we are 7th in the server rankings, first in our Ocean, and the Sister Alliance I founded is first in theirs. What have you done in the same two weeks? Are you still laughing? You don't even know the difference between a leader and a founder according to your recap and report on our alliance. Your source for that information was me...from our private communications which you made public. True to your name...you "Twisted" the facts. You should be canned.

Seeing you on your high horse as forum moderator would really only bother me though if I were to learn that you were actually getting paid to do what you are doing. I would like to think that the powers that be at Innogames would never make the mistake of hiring an individual such as yourself though. You are bad for business...you have no idea how to engage a gaming enthusiast and draw their interest away from the call of the responsibilities of the real world and to become willing to invest their hard earned dollar to prosper in a fantasy world, because your attitude and approach to the game spoils the fun for the greater majority of us. Hold on to your day job, because this certainly isn't your calling.

PersianKing

DeletedUser

"7. Bazaar Tactics-..."
"They will need to learn that quality is better than quantity."?
what if we're trying for both?
"...a nice amount of dead weight"??
Did you look at our Alliance player stats at grepointel.com?
I see a lot of active players.
http://grepointel.com/alliance.php?server=us12&an=Bazaar+Tactics&server=us12&enddate=2013-06-02
A lot of work went into finding many active players in the same area, we didn't go around inviting every city.
We kept an eye on *many cities* and *respectfully* mailed the active ones.
I was the 8th player to join and was very impressed with the way things were organised, run and structured.
It made this new game (8 days now) to me fun.
...and it's all about the fun! :)

DeletedUser

Bu...But...He's not a mod :-D
That was my mistake, I suggested to Persianking that he was a mod because of his sticky thread,
"Sticky: Milestones of Lambda"
...and I thought he was.
:eek: lol

DeletedUser

View attachment 740

You truly live up to your namesake, I'll give you that much credit, "Twister", indeed. You've stated that we're an MRA...call me a NOOB, but I'm not sure exactly what it is you're implying by that. It wasn't until after we'd had well over 80 or so member's until I came to the forum and published a post requesting that players from Ocean's 34 and 35 join, since the result of many hours in front of the computer scouring the map in those two quadrants, painting every players flag yellow who's score was above 500, sending them a copy & pasted template of my design for the purpose of a recruitment campaign, and waiting for responses indicating interest in joining before sending the actual invite won the interest and respect of not only the members who are now presently with me in Bazaar Tactics and Bazaar Influence, but also %80 of The Legion of Poseidon. Ask TheoKolesOne how it was he came to acquire his members within his alliance, interview each on of them and ask them why they chose to join The Legion of Poseidon. I bet they say it was because of the message they received from the Head Recruiter, "KingsMan". I am he. Interview them and ask them who Republic of Poseidon is. Interview their members. Ask them why they joined. There's a story there for you. I bet they all say it was because of the message they received from "KingsMan".

"Comedy 101"...the concern I raised civilly and privately with you was humorous was it? Let me ask you, do you get paid to do what you do? I bet not. As a Moderator, you suck. You aren't even able to spell correctly, what are you doing in charge of a forum? You fancy yourself to be a reporter do you? Perhaps Fox News would be interested in you, but as for me, I'm not impressed. What you've done by publishing what was intended to be private communications is both unethical and inappropriate. You have neither the license nor the right to do such a thing. Who do you think you are? You started this game the same day I did on this server. You laugh and mock me, find so much humor in it, and yet I've built 4 alliances in 2 weeks I've been playing, 2 of them just for giggles, these other two for the long run...and we are 7th in the server rankings, first in our Ocean, and the Sister Alliance I founded is first in theirs. What have you done in the same two weeks? Are you still laughing? You don't even know the difference between a leader and a founder according to your recap and report on our alliance. Your source for that information was me...from our private communications which you made public. True to your name...you "Twisted" the facts. You should be canned.

Seeing you on your high horse as forum moderator would really only bother me though if I were to learn that you were actually getting paid to do what you are doing. I would like to think that the powers that be at Innogames would never make the mistake of hiring an individual such as yourself though. You are bad for business...you have no idea how to engage a gaming enthusiast and draw their interest away from the call of the responsibilities of the real world and to become willing to invest their hard earned dollar to prosper in a fantasy world, because your attitude and approach to the game spoils the fun for the greater majority of us. Hold on to your day job, because this certainly isn't your calling.

PersianKing

Where did I call you a noob, I don't see where I wrote that. Twister is another name for a tornado, and where did I twist you words. I merely posted what you messaged me so how did I twist the facts. I called you guys an MRA because you had over 90 members after 4 days of your alliance existing, which showed me you just let anyone in the ocean join which is not the right mentality. Also did you just admit to having multiple accounts, you do know that is against the rules, right?

Also one I am not a mod, and two being a mod is a volunteer job which is why we are so fortunate to have mods who give up there free time for us. Also people post messages on this forum all the time, you don't need a license or anything to do it. What have I done in two weeks? Well lets see I joined Apex, got promoted to leader and became the diplomat of the alliance, so I am doing just fine right now. I know the difference between leader and founder, just that I typed up thousands of words and like any human being made some mistakes. Also I should be canned, what are you trying to say there. I understand you are in a rage but I am still confused about why you are upset.

Take a chill pill, you don't seem to know what comedy is supposed to be :)

DeletedUser

WOW Twister I really enjoyed this newsletter hope to see more in the upcoming months.. cause I know how hard this was for you to put together.. one suggestion place a world map with the top alliances labeled it saves time to say what ocean they are it or where the are spreading..

DeletedUser

"I called you guys an MRA because you had over 90 members after 4 days of your alliance existing, which showed me you just let anyone in the ocean join which is not the right mentality."

Personally, I believe perhaps the fact that we DID have over 90 members within the same Ocean in just 4 days after founding the alliance should be a "Mile-Stone". It's a difficult task to achieve, trust me on that. It wasn't just going around the map hitting the invite button pal. I attempted to explain this in my first reply to your "Weekly Timber"..."Morning Wood" would have been better suited as the post's author most resembles a d!ck. :D How do you like that for humor?

And about admitting to having multiple accounts, I am well aware of the rules...you know what they say about the word "assume" right? Well break it down, but the only one who looks like an ass around here is you. Just to clarify on that, not that I need to do so for you...but just for arguments sake, I started my previous account over after playing for a little over a week, then I deleted the account, and created this one. I do not and will not sign in to the old account. See, if you were such an expert on all things Grepolis, you would have figured that out all by your lonesome before you went and put your foot even further down your throat.

As far as not having the right mentality, and letting "just anybody in the Ocean" into our alliance...yeah, anybody is welcome to join, because where I come from and the way I was brought up everybody is somebody, and ought to be given the same chances as anybody else. Just ask any of our alliance members what kind of "mentality" I have and if there are any flaws in my logic using that approach in dealing with people and developing a good team of players. I'd rather have an alliance full of Noobs and spend my time teaching them the ropes and giving them encouragement when they get frustrated and praise when they do well then to deal with self-centered arrogant Nazi Napoleon's like yourself who've played a few times and fancy themselves to be know-it-all's and better than everybody else.
Try to backpedal your way out of it all you like...yeah, you're human and make mistakes just like the rest of us...I've yet to receive even so much as an apology from you for this erroneous garbage you've posted here. While it may not be illegal to publicize a player's personal correspondence it was still a foul...you took the time to interview all those players in Lambda who you knew to have associations in-game with me but you never once messaged me to discuss what you would post here to see if I would be okay with it, and for that you are totally in the wrong.

DeletedUser

I dunno Twister, for all that dead weight, we're flying pretty high.

DeletedUser2039

Additional Credit to: Tyler Boyd for inspiration, all of the leaders who did the interview, and Persian King for send me an interesting message to post.

I appreciate being mentioned!;) You did a very nice job with your paper. You obviously turned many heads with this. Congrats and I hope to see many more successful issues.

Note: Everyone better be repping him for all the hard work!

DeletedUser

It is with no small amount of misgivings that I grudgingly give you rep...you DID put forth a lot of effort in producing the content for "The Weekly Timber", and while I'm not happy at all about not being first approached and asked permission to publish our private conversation, (And neither are our members) I will acknowledge and give you kudos for the rest of the content you've posted in this thread and for the idea and creation of a New's Paper for Lambda. It was an awesome concept in my opinion...and while I don't agree with some of the content as it has elevated the status and the reputation in what I deem to be a negative way for us, for which neither I nor the members of my alliance had asked for or deserve...I still give you props. Good job, Twister.

DeletedUser2039

PersianKing, "perception is reality". If someone is going to put forth THAT much effort, well then hell, they better be getting something out of it. I have done two PnP's soley to talk crap on other alliances and ruin their reputation. It's a valid method of furthering your own goals to be honest. Remember what they tell all the little boys and girls, "what you write on the internet is no longer private information".(; If you don't want information coming out in a conversation, don't say it. The forums are a very effective way of hurting other alliances haha.

>link to PnP<

DeletedUser

Sports

NBA

Spurs Sweep Memphis
Go ahead and count out the San Antonio Spurs as simply too old to win another title with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and coach Gregg Popovich. They're back anyway with the chance they've wanted so very much the past six years.

Parker scored 37 points in his best game this postseason, and the Spurs finished off a sweep Monday night of the Memphis Grizzlies with a 93-86 win on Monday night for their fifth Western Conference title.

"It's a great feeling," Parker said as he sat with the Western Conference trophy perched in front of him.

"Since last year, I promised to him (Duncan) that we will go back, go back to the Finals and get an opportunity to win the whole thing and I'm trying to do my best, try to be aggressive every night. I think everybody on the team, we really want to do it for him. We win the West and now it's one more step. This is the hardest one."

The Spurs now wait for either Miami or Indiana having swept two of their three opponents already this postseason, this the first sweep in a conference final since the Nets did it to Detroit in 2003. They also have won six straight in these playoffs, handing two straight losses to a team that had been undefeated on their own court in their best postseason in franchise history.

Memphis finished off its best season ever swept by the very same franchise that needed four games to knock them out of their first playoff appearance back in 2004.

Sale of Kings is Official
A new owner is in place. A new coach is on the way. And for the first time in 14 years, Sacramento Kings fans can celebrate a new era.

The Maloof family completed the sale of the Kings and Sleep Train Arena to a group led by TIBCO Software chairman Vivek Ranadive on Friday, officially transferring ownership of the NBA franchise. Ranadive's group acquired a 65 percent controlling interest in the team at a total franchise valuation of more than $534 million, topping the NBA record of $450 million that Joe Lacob and Peter Guber paid for the Golden State Warriors in 2010.

"We are pleased for both the Maloof family and the Ranadive group, but particularly pleased for the fans of the Kings," NBA commissioner David Stern said.

Brothers George, Joe and Gavin Maloof also released statements thanking NBA owners, Stern and the family's limited partners with the Kings. George Maloof specifically praised Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson and the City Council "for their efforts and loyalty to the Sacramento community."

Stern told The Sacramento Bee the new ownership group must meet "a series of benchmarks" for a new arena. If the deadlines, which the Randive group agreed to as part of the sale, are not met, Sacramento risks losing the team to another city, Stern told the newspaper.

Heat Lead Series 3-2
Standing on the cusp of the NBA Finals has tended to agree with the Miami Heat in each of the last two seasons. When the Heat have gotten a game away from the title round, they've finished the task as quickly as possible.

And here they are again.

A third straight Eastern Conference title is now just one win away for the reigning champions, though if the way this series has gone so far is an accurate indicator, that win will hardly come easily. The Heat -- without suspended forward Chris Andersen -- will visit the Indiana Pacers on Saturday night, leading the best-of-seven East finals 3-2 and in position to close out their new rivals on their own floor for the second straight season.

"We're desperate, too," Heat forward and four-time NBA MVP LeBron James said Friday. "We're desperate to get back to the NBA Finals. So both teams are desperate in their own sense of they're trying to keep their season alive and we're trying to advance."

The teams have alternated wins and losses through the first five games, and if that trend holds, then it's the Pacers' turn to prevail on Saturday and send the series back to Miami for a winner-goes-to-the-finals Game 7 on Monday night.

If the Heat -- who have won each of their last six potential series-closeout games, including two in the 2011 and 2012 East finals -- win, then the championship round against the San Antonio Spurs will begin in Miami on Thursday.

"You can't start thinking about opening up the invitation," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "That's over there. You can't even think about that."

The Pacers saw their season end a year ago on their home floor, at Miami's hand, in Game 6 of a second-round series. So Indiana's biggest source of motivation on Saturday may be the desire to avoid the indignity of watching Miami advance in Indianapolis for a second straight season.

NHL

Kings vs. Blackhawks
For all the difficulties they endured along the way, the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings are still standing.

They might want to buckle up, though. The ride could get even wilder.

The Blackhawks and Kings are poised for what could be a tight and lengthy Western Conference finals, with Game 1 at the United Center on Saturday.

The Kings already have more playoff losses than they did a year ago when they went on a 16-4 run through the postseason to capture the Stanley Cup as an eighth seed.

The next challenge is a big one, too. No goalie is more on his game at the moment than the Kings' Jonathan Quick. All the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner has done is allow just 20 goals in 13 postseason games while carrying Los Angeles to its second straight conference final.

He leads the playoffs in goals-against average (1.50), save percentage (.948 ) and shutouts (three), and the Kings have needed it with their offense generating little.

They're averaging just two goals per game in the postseason, and they realize they need to rediscover their scoring touch. That wasn't an issue during the regular season, when they were 10th in the NHL and boasted the Western Conference's top goal scorer in Jeff Carter.

Getting center Jarret Stoll back would help. He suffered an apparent concussion on an illegal hit to the head in the series opener against San Jose and has been sidelined since. He skated with the team this week, but coach Darryl Sutter had no update Friday.

Despite their difficulties putting the puck in the net, the Kings have gotten by. They dropped the first two games at St. Louis and needed seven to take out San Jose in the semifinals, with all four wins coming at home. It was a physical series that probably didn't earn many style points. And to that, the Kings basically say so what.

Now, it's the Blackhawks with the home-ice advantage and games on back-to-back days in their arena. Clearly, they see an opportunity there.

But they also had their difficulties with a physical Detroit team, and here come the hard-hitting Kings.

Penguins Goalie
The NHL's most unlikely postseason success story is nearly bald, his hairline an unwitting casualty to three decades spent hidden under a goaltender's mask.

All those long winters -- including 16 in the best league in the world -- never led to long springs, however, for Tomas Vokoun. Until now.

Halfway through the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs the two-time All-Star turned journeyman backup holds the key to the Pittsburgh Penguins' playoff hopes. He is, for the first time in his life, the "hot goalie" during the most important time of year.

Heading into Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Boston Bruins Saturday night, Vokoun's numbers appear to be a misprint. Seven starts. Six wins. One very stoic and largely anonymous presence at the back of Pittsburgh's star-laden attack.

Given a week to ponder his remarkable run after taking over for struggling Marc-Andre Fleury in Game 5 of the first-round series against the New York Islanders, Vokoun insists he's trying not to think about what it all means, with varying levels of success.

"You just know that you're playing well, you're trying to do the right things," Vokoun said. "You try not to treat it any differently, even if you know the stakes are just getting bigger."

It's a phenomenon unique to goaltenders this time of year. For all the talk about the importance of playoff experience, the guys in the back of the net can sometimes seem immune to the pressure.

Vokoun never played on a team that made it past the opening round of the postseason until Pittsburgh ousted the Islanders in six games three weeks ago. He was hardly overcome by the stage in the second round against Ottawa, allowing all of 11 goals in five games, including a pair of of meaningless scores after the Penguins already had things well in hand during Game 4 and 5 routs.

NHL history is littered with callow goalies who have ended up lifting the Cup. Martin Brodeur was 22. Patrick Roy was 20. Ken Dryden was 23. Jonathan Quick was 4-8 in the playoffs before going 16-4 and leading the Los Angeles Kings to the championship at 26.

Vokoun is at the opposite end of his career but enjoying the same kind of coming-out party. It's uncharted territory for a player acquired for a mere seventh-round pick last summer as an insurance plan should Fleury falter.

MLB

Indians Apologize to Fans
The Cleveland Indians have issued an apology to fans who attended Friday night's game with Tampa Bay that had nearly five hours of rain delays and ended at 2:53 a.m.

Indians president Mark Shapiro met with reporters before Saturday's game and said the team feels "terrible" about what took place Friday and will reach out to fans to show that.

Friday's game, scheduled to start at 7:05 p.m., was delayed three times before finally resuming at 12:13 a.m. -- 2 hours, 39 minutes after the third and longest delay. The teams were delayed a total of 4:49 before the Rays emerged with a 9-2 win.

International Draft?
Major League Baseball has abandoned its attempt to start an international draft of amateur players next year, likely pushing the matter back to collective bargaining for the labor contract that will start in 2017.

Under the five-year labor deal agreed to in November 2011, the sides held discussions about a draft and MLB had the right to inform the union by Saturday if it planned to start one next year. If MLB had given that notification, the union would have had until June 15 to veto it.

The sides said Friday that talks had ended.

"At this time, the players are not prepared to accept an international draft," union head Michael Weiner said in a statement. "The MLBPA will continue to discuss with players and the commissioner's office the many issues facing its international members."

MLB began restraints on international signings last summer.

Since there will be no draft, the system of a signing bonus pool with penalties for exceeding thresholds will remain in place. For the period that began last July 2 and ends June 15, the threshold was $2.9 million.

For 2013-14, the thresholds are based on reverse order of winning percentage in 2012. The Houston Astros have the highest pool at $4,943,700 and the Washington Nationals the lowest at $1,846,900, resulting in overall less money available for international players without teams incurring penalties.

For both 2012-13 and 2013-14, a team's six-highest signing bonuses up to $50,000 will not count toward its pool, and bonuses below $7,500 will not be included.

Only players from the U.S., Canada and U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico are eligible for the current amateur draft, which started in 1965.

MLB said the parties couldn't agree "on some of the mechanics and procedures related to such a draft."

"The parties intend to continue to discuss international amateur talent issues," it said in a statement.

*Sports Articles are from ESPN.

Cartoons

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

[SPR] [/SPR]

Sudoku
[SPR] [/SPR]

Answers:
[SPR] [/SPR]

Written By: The Twister

Good info info info