The problem and why so many players who enjoyed this game have left.

How many would like to go back to playing without instant complete. Keeping the heroes of course?

• Keep instant complete

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Remove and go back to 25 percent reduction to even the playing field for ALL players.

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser4586

It used to be so very challenging to play ...back in the day. That is, back in the day when Grep was the MMO of the year. The gathering of resources and the gathering of gold has gotten so easy over the last 11 years that if you're good at it (and most of the remaining players are very good at it) newer players don't stand a chance coming out of BP, and this is compounded by the small alliance size and groups of friends that move from each new world to the next effectively blocking any chance the new folks can learn squat before being steam-rolled. Old school players like myself move on organically, and the game gets smaller and smaller.

Heck, I started in 2009 and quit because it was TOO hard (using horses to farm the villages? So much fun but terribly time-consuming). Rejoined a few years later and now play only occasionally and half-heartedly. I don't know many players anymore, so I join alliances of hopeful newbies, try my best to solidify them, and get splattered within days.

What's the answer? No idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

BubbaBlu

Messenger
Making Grepolis Great Again

Ok though i agree on most if not all of the topics here.... Let me tell you... the game can still be fun. WE THE PLAYERS have to take it back.

Problem is everyone has their own ideas on strategies, no one is LOYAL anymore, and no one wants to do ops/timed cses/attacks/support.

So anyone that is willing to give loyalty a go please reach out as we are building an alliance for future servers...

1 - you can beat any defense bot with proper cs packages
2 - You can beat the heavy golders with activity and Navy snipes/breaks
3 - Numbers and coordination win.. its a matter of coordination and keeping it interesting

jgeisler98

Newcomer
Ive been on EN servers until now, I've played here and there for several years. I do not have a group of people I go from server to server with nor do I really want that. It seems kind of boring always playing with the same people. It is fun to make new allies and find ones that work together well. One of the frustrating parts for me is that I do not want to join a world where people have weeks to months of a head start. One of the other things that I think is an extreme negative is that on the browser version of grepolis players can see the exact time beginners protection drops. I just got back into grepolis and my first world back I had a guy ranked top 50 in the server putting me in revolt within an hour of my shield dropping. There's only so much you can do to protect yourself at that point and potential enemies knowing exactly when that shield will disappear is extremely disheartening.

Another thought that could seriously improve grepolis is to make everything faster paced. In the past I have often not stuck around very long in many worlds. I think the truth is I just get bored. It takes days to weeks to build up a decent fighting force if you don't gold. The point of the game is to have battles back and forth, see what a real war looks like on a large scale. If Grepolis made a server where everything from building speed to unit speed was much faster, I feel that it would be more exciting. At some point even trying to get BP for culture points can make me question if the game is worth the time I have to put into it. I do think an offline version or a version where you have 50 players in an alliance playing against AI opponents that are a bunch of different alliances would be exciting. You could even do one where its just a single player playing against AI opponents. This would be much better for newcomers and returning players because they could figure out all the important controls and the most effective ways to go about the game.

Another suggestion and some of you may disagree with this, is to optimize the Gods and favor system. I think its a really unhelpful situation because mythical units are so powerful but you most likely can't support your allies with them. For example, if you did 2000 pop of Hydra and 200 pop of any other ship, Hydra are about 20,000 attack or defense points higher, Hydra are more effective fighters per population than any other unit but its not worth it to build them because you can't use them to work as a team very much. I suppose if you wanted to clear a ton of enemy biremes Hydra with a 10% attack boosts would be a great way to go. I also think that each city that worships a specific God should have its own favor system. If I have two cities both worshipping Hera for example it doesnt make any sense to me that they are connected. Such as their favor goes into the same favor pool, if you were to switch Gods in one of those cities youd lose all your favor in the other as well. The mythical units and favor system could be the thing that saves grepolis and makes it fresh and different from other games but currently they are a negative aspect.

My last suggestion is to get grepolis out of a browser based game. The vast majority of popular games that are similar to grepolis like Innos own game Forge of Empires isn't popular because it's a browser game. It's popular because it's a cool game that you can play on your phone. I use the app primarily to play Grepolis and it's very limiting on what features are available. I do not think it would be that difficult in the long run to shift Grepolis to more on an app than a web based game.

Last edited:
Simple the game does not change, meaning graphics same units, catering too much to gold buyers. Just little adjustments or tweaks could really make it better. Fair Play rule is here but the Mods cater to certain players (inventories being moved, while others get turned down) nothing gets done no enforcement.
If the aesthetics get changed it would help overall, oh and revamp the gods and actually make units that help the game. Such as a Defensive god who helps on sieges, A myth unit that can be in any siege this will offset the obscene golding, then a myth for the navy that can do the same.

When I started playing this game in early 2011, I fell in love with the gameplay. I started on Gamma (English server). In the early days, we played for the love of the game. Since then, gold buying has polluted the love and has driven people away. The playing field needs to be leveled. If not using gold is going to be hard on regular players, using gold should have some restrictions too. I went on hiatus before the gold craze started and I'm starting to wish I had stayed on hiatus. This insta-complete is the worst idea Grepo has ever had.

The old system of taking a percentage off the time was a check on players who would have otherwise abused the ability to buy gold. If money is all the devs care about, why not make this a "pay to play" game. get rid of the free playing aspect. Otherwise we need to go back to the days where premium, while having its perks, didn't make a player OP to the hilt. Currently I'm dealing with either an illegal scripter or a millionaire golder on my island. Even some of the most skilled and powerful golders are having a problem taking the player down. They keep sending forces and the player turns right around and automagically trains hundreds of soldiers and ships.

Look, I'm not the kind of guy that usually complains. I usually could care less about what a business does. However, when I am seeing what is being done to loyal players, that they are being discarded for enjoying the game but not paying to enjoy it, I tend to lose my cherub like demeanor. Those that abuse the gold system steal the enjoyment from other players. They become OP to the extreme and wipe out all the players who can't afford the cost of gold. If the devs don't place checks and balances, they won't have to worry about having a game anymore. When new players start to realize it is essentially a "pay to play" game already and get farmed hardcore, they will ghost the game. When I rejoined a week ago after my long hiatus, every member on the island was active. Now, their towns lay empty; obviously they didn't find some aspect of the game fun. Even longtime players, like myself, are returning to the game after hiatus only to find that this game is no longer fun.

The devs can keep catering to gold buyers, by all means, but they will lose their loyal players. Yep, buying gold is fun, and the added appeal of being able to insta-complete everything under the sun is great, however after awhile that gets boring. When the game gets boring, players will move on and not come back. The loyal players, the ones who play for the love of the game, many of them don't spend money on the game or spend very rarely. They are the ones that should be catered to. Wanna make some real money, why not charge people $3.99 to download the app and market it only to premium players. Essentially that is what the servers have become. The reason why the devs don't want to do that is because they do recognize that the free players are often the most loyal...however because loyal players aren't golding to the hilt like others, we get tossed aside while they grovel at the feet of those who will throw dollars and dimes at them.

So, to the devs that read these forums...Stop hiding behind the dollar signs and creating excuses. You know that the system you have created goes against the fair play rules, but because it is paying customers breaking the rules you are willing to look the other way and pretend its not happening. You can do that, you can look away...but your loyal players see what you are doing. If they all decide to up and leave, all you will have is a bunch of empty servers with a couple of wealthy players left. Without us free players, you don't have a game. Largely golders will stay because they want to conquer all the islands left empty, but even they too will leave eventually...it becomes a boring game when you have driven out every last player....

Messenger
Gold is not the reason the game is dying.

The game is dying because 99% of experienced players would rather eat new players for cities than teach them how to play and help them have an enjoyable experience.

I'm guilty of this, I think we pretty much all are.

US server - let's do better :)