The History of Juktas

DeletedUser

Mount Juktas
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A mountain in north-central Crete, Mount Juktas (Greek: Γιούχτας), also spelled Iuktas, Iouktas, or Ioukhtas, was an important religious site for the Minoan civilization.[1] Located a few kilometers from the palaces of Knossos and Fourni and the megaron at Vathypetro, Mount Juktas was the site of an important peak sanctuary in the Minoan world. At the base of Juktas, at Anemospilia, is a site that has suggested to some that the Minoans practiced human sacrifice, but the evidence is currently somewhat in question.

Peak Sanctuary
Mt. Juktas seen from Iraklion in 1977. Legend says it is the face of Zeus.
Mount Juktas is the site of one of the most important peak sanctuaries in the Minoan world, and probably the first of them. Archaeologists have studied the site over an extensive period, examining fragments of pottery, remains of walls, and some unique kinds of stone that must have been hauled up the mountain because they do not otherwise occur there.
The mountain remains important in the religious life of the people of the area to this day - a Greek Orthodox chapel is located about a kilometer south of the sanctuary along the ridge of the mountain. Every year, people from towns down in the plains below Mount Juktas bring flowers in procession to the chapel.
Archaeology.

Juktas was first excavated in 1909 by Sir Arthur Evans. It can be regarded as an adjunct archaeological site to the important Knossos site a few kilometres distant. Among the finds at the Juktas Minoan peak sanctuary were clay human and animal figurines, stone horns, stone altars, bronze double axes, and both bowls and tables with Linear A inscriptions. See references for a more comprehensive inventory. Pottery sherds from the site date back as far as Middle Minoan IA.
References

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Juktas

DeletedUser5088

Way to literally copy me man.

At least I used my own words since I actually knew about the subject

Juktas:

Mount Juktas was a sacred mountain in Crete. The Minoan people built a peak sanctuary at the top which served as part of the palace in Knossos, the capital city of Crete. Archaeologist have found many artifacts at the top of Mount Juktas including pottery. These clues give Archaeologist key information about the Minoan People.

This program was brought to you by Charl's History Facts

DeletedUser4951

For some added fun people should keep track of game history here. Always nice to have nostalgia a year from now.

DeletedUser

It's just some background info on this world...just a little sneak peak : there will be more stone islands than wood islands and many silver islands as well