The cost in Gold

DeletedUser12518

Grepolis has been steadily increasing the cost of Gold spending on events, builds, rss etc. This current event for example, a re-spin is 100 Gold! There is not one reward worth a 100 Gold on that board. They seem to be making less money and less money, so what do they do? Raise the cost on things. This has been the downfall of companies, empires, governments, etc, for the past millennia, yet others still repeat this over and over to their own demise.

For example: I wont spent any Gold on this event. Are you serious? A measly 12 Biremes for 100 Gold!! 140 Hoplites for 100 Gold!! Totally ridiculous!! That's like buying a Taco for 30 bucks!! It should be more like 25 Gold for a re-spin. And I am not just talking about the events. It needs to be more of a bargain to create volume, I personally would likely spend 500 to 1000 Gold on this event, but I am not buying anything that high priced. And what about the little rewards at the start of each world? Seriously, only 5 Gold per reward? Wow you can almost extend 2 advisers for 14 days once you get them all done!

Most people are like me, they wont buy a $30 Taco period. But they might buy many Taco's over time at $3

So I ask Grepolis/Innogames, what will sell more Gold? Raising prices, or selling volume?

Grepolis, you should really think about this. I know some Gold spending issues can not not be changed much to keep the game competitive, so find a way make it worth while and move volume, you are in a business...

Respectfully

AD

DeletedUser5524

Awful post. The increased gold scaling is to stop mass golding during events or at least make it more costly. You probably aren't too much of an active player if this is an issue you are finding with the game :)

ps: Tokens get better as you grow in size so the scale you are talking I assume you are low size

DeletedUser12518

Awful post. The increased gold scaling is to stop mass golding during events or at least make it more costly. You probably aren't too much of an active player if this is an issue you are finding with the game :)

ps: Tokens get better as you grow in size so the scale you are talking I assume you are low size
Look Zeek, it all depends on how you look at this. This has nothing to do with my current size or me in general, I can afford all the gold I want. If Inno made it so the non gold spenders/buyers could get more gold on certain rewards and such, it might offset the imbalance a bit, and the reduced cost will help them to be able to afford more spending on events and in game perks.. The guys who buy gold and spend it now, likely wont buy much or any more than usual.

Inno also screwed up the gold trade more so to try and make it so less gold was traded so more gold was purchased. It was not bout the game play, it was all about inno. Big mistake. Obviously this has backfired on the as well. This made it worse for the guys who do not have the coin to spend on lots of gold making the imbalance worse than ever.

I keep reading that US Grepolis is a dying server, well, and I personally have seen less and less veteran players return. If this is the case, this is one reason why...
And ZEEK, you really should not judge someone you dont know or have no idea about based on one post, that's pretty low in my book. I could be more active than you with more city's, and most certainly have been on past servers.

DeletedUser5524

I am not judging you, I am saying you opinion seems a bit uneducated and I informed you on why your outlook is wrong. People do not return because of gold abuse and you are wanting more gold abuse. The tokens in the event are busted the larger player size you are. If you are saying having even more event flyers or instabought stuff will bring the game back to life, you do not know what the majority of the games population feels.

DeletedUser12518

I am not proposing they bring it back the way it was or increasing GOLD ABUSE. Just pointing out some of the obvious cost issues, but not to be confused with flooding items that make the game more unbalanced. When it comes down to it, many decisions grepo / Inno have made have been based more on what they believe will benefit themselves, but short term the most because they are thinking and going about it the wrong way and not looking long term, being too short sighted. The gold trade change was a prime example, they took away the free market and competition instead of just putting a limit on daily mass trade, now your lucky to even be able to get any resources in to sell let alone setting your own price and creating a competitive market. This is how most of the players who cant always afford gold was getting their gold, either by their own accord or by team donations. This greatly helped offset the gold imbalance in the game. But now this can no longer be done. Greppo/Inno needs to renew the free trade but limit the amount of resources any one player can buy in a certain period of time.

The gold and the cost of items should be a reasonable cost no matter what the item. If we have a problem with flooding the game with event items or instabuild items, then limit the items to only so many per day or half day etc, or at that point have an increase cost that is reasonable and still have a limit so the small gold buyers and players can also still compete. Right now it's still only a rich man's game for gold with the costs they now have set. You can not just Cater to the rich and survive the long term. So make it more affordable to buy gold in the first place so everyone can afford it. Make it a game for all financial classes of players. Give the players who never buy gold an incentive or donation every so often with deal on gold purchase to give them a taste of what they can really do with it. Some players would buy more gold if it, and item costs were more reasonable, no matter if those items were limited numbers per day. This would in turn create more volume, by increasing the individual purchase and spending of all players across the board and not just the rich, therefore increasing overall volume for Grepolis/Inno. Anyone who can not see this must need bifocals. Its a strategy that works for all players, reduces or even eliminates gold abuse, and keeps Grepo in the green.

It's simple long term economics.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser262

The gold trade change was a prime example, they took away the free market and competition instead of just putting a limit on daily mass trade, now your lucky to even be able to get any resources in to sell let alone setting your own price and creating a competitive market.
Lol, I mean LMFAO. That isn't how it worked ever. There was no free market or competition, because the resource/gold rate was fixed. Instead pay to win players bought all their resources from within their own alliance when they needed them so the gold went to a player they were allied with. It completely monopolized gold trading, which is the complete opposite of a free market. Now it is first come first serve when selling gold, no longer do players have to join alliances with heavy golders in order to sell resources. I played both inside pay to win alliances and outside of them, and inside I could sell a sizable portion of resources almost every day, outside, I had trades sit for days without being taken.

You can not just Cater to the rich and survive the long term.
You are full of jokes. You are complaining about this now? It has been like this for years. Setting lower prices doesn't help, small time golders can't compete with literal millionaires regardless of what the entry point is. Of course it is terrible for long term sustainability, but that doesn't matter if the player turnover is high enough. Purchase caps would be good, but it is far too late. You are complaining years after when such a complaint would have been important. The game is all but dead. Newer, better designed TW clones are already out there. Not to mention this post is like 8 down on the list on a main topic, and your post is already 9 months old. Inno killed the game the moment they made it pay to win, it is just taking a while to catch up to them.

I mean I only pop in once a year or so to casually fool around and farm more gold, because farming gold is funner then actually playing the game now. I have amassed over 10k and haven't played the game seriously in years. Because there is no point trying to compete with millionaires in a pay to win game.

DeletedUser16631

Lol, I mean LMFAO. That isn't how it worked ever. There was no free market or competition, because the resource/gold rate was fixed. Instead pay to win players bought all their resources from within their own alliance when they needed them so the gold went to a player they were allied with. It completely monopolized gold trading, which is the complete opposite of a free market. Now it is first come first serve when selling gold, no longer do players have to join alliances with heavy golders in order to sell resources. I played both inside pay to win alliances and outside of them, and inside I could sell a sizable portion of resources almost every day, outside, I had trades sit for days without being taken.

You are full of jokes. You are complaining about this now? It has been like this for years. Setting lower prices doesn't help, small time golders can't compete with literal millionaires regardless of what the entry point is. Of course it is terrible for long term sustainability, but that doesn't matter if the player turnover is high enough. Purchase caps would be good, but it is far too late. You are complaining years after when such a complaint would have been important. The game is all but dead. Newer, better designed TW clones are already out there. Not to mention this post is like 8 down on the list on a main topic, and your post is already 9 months old. Inno killed the game the moment they made it pay to win, it is just taking a while to catch up to them.

I mean I only pop in once a year or so to casually fool around and farm more gold, because farming gold is funner then actually playing the game now. I have amassed over 10k and haven't played the game seriously in years. Because there is no point trying to compete with millionaires in a pay to win game.
Dude...you are responding to a post that is nearly a year old...

DeletedUser16648

I am not proposing they bring it back the way it was or increasing GOLD ABUSE. Just pointing out some of the obvious cost issues, but not to be confused with flooding items that make the game more unbalanced. When it comes down to it, many decisions grepo / Inno have made have been based more on what they believe will benefit themselves, but short term the most because they are thinking and going about it the wrong way and not looking long term, being too short sighted. The gold trade change was a prime example, they took away the free market and competition instead of just putting a limit on daily mass trade, now your lucky to even be able to get any resources in to sell let alone setting your own price and creating a competitive market. This is how most of the players who cant always afford gold was getting their gold, either by their own accord or by team donations. This greatly helped offset the gold imbalance in the game. But now this can no longer be done. Greppo/Inno needs to renew the free trade but limit the amount of resources any one player can buy in a certain period of time.

The gold and the cost of items should be a reasonable cost no matter what the item. If we have a problem with flooding the game with event items or instabuild items, then limit the items to only so many per day or half day etc, or at that point have an increase cost that is reasonable and still have a limit so the small gold buyers and players can also still compete. Right now it's still only a rich man's game for gold with the costs they now have set. You can not just Cater to the rich and survive the long term. So make it more affordable to buy gold in the first place so everyone can afford it. Make it a game for all financial classes of players. Give the players who never buy gold an incentive or donation every so often with deal on gold purchase to give them a taste of what they can really do with it. Some players would buy more gold if it, and item costs were more reasonable, no matter if those items were limited numbers per day. This would in turn create more volume, by increasing the individual purchase and spending of all players across the board and not just the rich, therefore increasing overall volume for Grepolis/Inno. Anyone who can not see this must need bifocals. Its a strategy that works for all players, reduces or even eliminates gold abuse, and keeps Grepo in the green.

It's simple long term economics.
Yes actually that is how most games in general do survive long term by catering to the rich and / or those that buy gold . They have cost associated with keeping the game running and bringing new content . They have employees that they pay such as graphic designers and such for mere artwork .
What the average player that can not afford to pay for gold does not realize or want to accept , not to imply that you personally can not afford the gold . I'm talking more in a generalized sense . That every aspect of the game is not necessarily something they have to take part in such as gold spending events .
They can still play for free , they don't have to pay to access the forums like other brands make the player's do . I've played games where just to come on the forum to get help it would cost $ 10 to $ 20 a month for that mere privilege .
Really in my opinion the only real problem is the conquering cities issue , because regardless if they start you out on the edge of the city and all that nonsense your main city that can actually do any significant damage or help is 8 to 12 hours away in travel . So by the time your troops arrive you are like 5 hours to late a majority of the time . Such as sending troops to break a siege . By the time they arrive your team mate has already broke the siege and you are just attacking his / her troops .
Spending only advances your over all rank in the game which is the least important item in the game . If you are playing to have fun .
Most of gameplay is strategizing ahead and then proceeding like when the open quest requires you to have 325 biremes in one city after you have loaded it up with 125 fast transports . Or it asks for 260 light ships which is basically your farm to level 45 and no other troops what so ever with the thermal bath built .
But what will happen is a small group of non spenders will want the game to be pvp only and no walls built and constantly building conquest ships to reconquer cities . Then when they get their cities taken they get mad .

DeletedUser16648

Really what kills game like these is when the spenders are driven away mainly by the game creators when their spending is no longer appreciated I guess is the best way to put it . Like when they spend 100's of dollars on a game item for example . Then lets say two months later " for the sake of a level playing field . They give all player's that item for free . Then the spender's item is now pretty much useless . I've personally played games where that has happened . So it becomes a non stop game of spend for an advantage , then if you want to reobtain the advantage you just paid for . You have to spend again just to get back to zero to plus one range . Keeping in mind that most player's won't play that spending game like that . Then the company has no money to pay employees and they close the game .

DeletedUser16648

The best way to describe it I suppose is like in the game of monopoly . Why do most people buy boardwalk and park place then put motels on them ? It could not possibly be to win could it ? But same thing here it would be like in the middle of a monopoly game someone scratches out the utilities for example and adds another boardwalk and park place so that everyone can have a boardwalk and park place .