Sportsmanship

Noncryptic

Newcomer
Being new to this game, I'm wondering if sportsmanship exists in it.

Are people nice to new people, generally? (Like helping them and giving them tips)

Or.. Do people constantly attack newer, weaker people for no reason and take their cities?

Asking for a friend

DeletedUser9851

If you belong to an alliance, then you have lot's of players that are more than willing to teach the basics, as well as some very helpful tips. They will also protect you. However, each new player must make an effort to learn, and stay active with good communication. Otherwise you become a burden on the alliance, and they will not hesitate to take your cities to protect the alliance itself.

Noncryptic

Newcomer
If you belong to an alliance, then you have lot's of players that are more than willing to teach the basics, as well as some very helpful tips. They will also protect you. However, each new player must make an effort to learn, and stay active with good communication. Otherwise you become a burden on the alliance, and they will not hesitate to take your cities to protect the alliance itself.
I do belong to an alliance; however I am barely two weeks into the game. I definitely will contribute, help, and repay my debts. Right now I am not in the best position to do so.

Thank you for your input.

DeletedUser15403

Enemies won't wait for you to learn - your team will though. Key thing is communication and not getting upset at city losses - losing cities in this game is just .. well part of the game.

Key is maintaining momentum and personal morale for the game. If you're not on a good team yet just keep learning and somewhere along the ilne be it this world or the next a good team will recognize your worth ( usually activity and communication are the two most important things leaders look for, they can teach you the game from their ) and pick you up.

Just remain active, and communicate - and eventually you'll get it. Good luck with the game Non- if you ever need advice don't hesitate to ask

Shock

Peltast

Are people nice to new people, generally? (Like helping them and giving them tips)
Depends on the player - some players are nice and will help you out, some will troll you (ngl I've been guilty of that a time or two)

Or.. Do people constantly attack newer, weaker people for no reason and take their cities?
Attacking people, especially smaller players often has its advantages sadly, taking resources, and favor and occasionally using them as battle point farms... taking cities almost always is for a reason, whether it may seem like it to you or not lol

DeletedUser16631

Asking for a friend
Most of the players in the top alliances have played together for years...I know because I recognize many of the names from 2013. They pretty much move from world to world in premade alliances, and begin with a huge advantage over the newcomers & uninitiated to Grepolis. They'll let you build your city up to around 5k or so, & then move in on you with their members in a joint attack, take your city, and gift it to one of their friends within the alliance. This is a cutthroat game, not about how good you are, but more so about who you know.

Noncryptic

Newcomer
Most of the players in the top alliances have played together for years...I know because I recognize many of the names from 2013. They pretty much move from world to world in premade alliances, and begin with a huge advantage over the newcomers & uninitiated to Grepolis. They'll let you build your city up to around 5k or so, & then move in on you with their members in a joint attack, take your city, and gift it to one of their friends within the alliance. This is a cutthroat game, not about how good you are, but more so about who you know.
Yikes..

DeletedUser262

As long as who you know is paying to win. It doesn't help to know a lot of free to play players. I never pregroup, and have been parts of major alliances as well as new player alliances. I like being in new player alliances because otherwise the game is too easy, but it is a headache to get new players to communicate and work together. The honest truth is this game is incredibly pay to win. A lot of players who have been playing for years are terrible at the game. The last time I played seriously I had a single city on a hostile island that was almost all one major alliance, and one memorable night, I cleared every single one of their cities, racking up a huge bp count, catching myth nukes, LS fleets and CS's in harbors completely unprotected "because walls are for noobs". Then they counter attacked and ran into my Cerberus defense behind a maxed wall. Now eventually, they took that city from me, but it took them weeks, and I actually took a city from them on that island before they pried me off.

Anyways story time aside. You are not going to win against premade alliances in the long run unless you are in a premade alliance. Not because they are good players, but because they tend to be active, spend real money, and communicate reasonably well. I mean, in the above case where I took a city from the enemy, I had someone lined up to hand it off to immediately, only, somehow he used the CS for another city after saying he was ready to go, then had to get another slot, and build another CS, and I lost that city before he was ready to go again. It is that kind of poor teamwork that gets ironed out in premade alliances. People still suck at the game individually, but they can at least work together.

DeletedUser16631

As long as who you know is paying to win. It doesn't help to know a lot of free to play players...

The game isn't necessarily pay to win....but you definitely shouldn't expect to get very far without putting in an extreme amount of time into the game, and you as well as everyone in your alliance eat, crap, & breathe Grepolis.

DeletedUser16359

Asking for a friend
I didn't begin to learn until a much larger player took my city, after some messages he brought me into a competitive alliance where I learned the basic skills. Resilience, activity, and an open mind will take you a long way, but keep your alarm on at night.

It's outdated in a lot of ways but the principles are still relevant... http://grepolis-pro.blogspot.com/

DeletedUser11116

Being smart and putting up a legit fight against bigger players (and then not taking it personally, and even chatting with your enemy a little) is one of the best ways to get brought in to a good alliance and/or earn some respect. When I was playing a few years ago, I started in two different worlds without knowing folks and when I proved to be a real pain in the ass for one top alliance they simply asked me to join. lol