PnP "Bayaz and the troll he pitied"

DeletedUser

The first of the Magi is waiting in silence now.

He recalled the last days. He found a home. Fleeing from a far away land, he finally reached his destination. He crossed a vast ocean and on a small island he meet a man who named himself Paul. Paul told him about a land far to the west, called pella. He gave him a recommendation to seek out two of his best friends, an awe inspiring dragon and a wolf, a most ferocious fighter against anyone outside of his pack.

Pella was a strange country, it was comprised of many forts surrounded by many cities, scattered across the land and it had a common inn which went by the name Forum Grepolis in his center. After entering the inn he immediately stumbled upon the dragon. The Dragon, seeing the weary look on the face of the first of the Magi, immediately took him to the fort of the creators and charged him with the position of the mayor of one of their cities. His fellow creators accepted him with open arms. It felt very good.

"At last", Bayaz thought. "Can it be for real? A place still inhabited by decent people?" He fled because the number of decent people in his homeland was decreasing for quite some time now. Being unable to enjoy the many changes the Gods of Innosoft forced upon the many worlds of creations they, one by one, ended their existences never to be heard of again. This went hand in hand with a mayor invasion on the Inns he knew in his homeworlds by trolls. Legions of trolls.

After seeing for the basic needs of his citizens and employing a few men to fight for his cause, he entered the common inn to pass a little time. He heard the wolf and the dragon claiming, they were about to troll around a bit. He knew them a bit by then,and he started to smile. They had never meet the real trolls. Trolls so vicious he could still hear their voices , from time to time, before he woke up screaming in his bed.

The inn was a very cozy and pleasant place to stay. There were disputes of course, but since that being normal for every inn he visited in his whole life, he enjoyed it. He was always the quiet type in pubs.He never said much, but listened to all the talk there, to just enjoy.

The world was still very young and there was no fighting between the inhabitants of Pella yet. But after the days of beginning there came the days to clashing and researching. Bayaz recalled two events best from that time. He sent out his freshly mustered men against a fellow who goes by the name of BigJack. This BigJack was a very unpleasant and rude fellow, insulting Bayaz and talking about war, on the very first hour after the beginning ended. Bayaz decided to just ignore him. BigJack clearly was no match for his skill. Bayaz knew 9 ways to try to time his full support from one city without the assistance of a hero. But it reminded him of the world, he just fled. Where things like that were most common, instead of being the exception.

But a player who goes by the name of Gope more than made up for that. When Bayaz sent out his troops, Gope just dodged the attack. He made no proud boost or claims, he just kept silence and retaliated a few hours later. Bayaz who had employed quite a lot of troops during the days of beginning destroyed the attacker completely but approached him afterwards. They had a pleasant little chat and Bayaz is really looking forward to clash with him again.

The first of the magi is waiting in silence now.

Then disaster struck the inn and pella. A rowdy named CLINTAURUS entered the peaceful world of pella and took up residence in the inn at almost no time. After hearing the first few of the trolls proud boosts and insults, Bayaz thought about just letting it pass. The troll obviously was a child and in time would grow up so the problem would just evaporate into oblivion. But trolls are persisting. And if you do not oppose them, they normally start to multiply until a world is doomed. The troll scouted the room and immediately laid his eyes upon Childress. Childress and Bayaz had had no contact, but the quiet and humble Bayaz agreed with almost anything that the decent-seeming Childress ever had to contribute to the heatet discussions in the once so cozy inn. How poor Bayaz cursed himself then. He should be more active in the Inn, but his city needed so much attention still. He should have stood up to confront the troll right then. Grief is a good friend of him. Hit him, kick him or insult him, he doesn`t care. He endured worse for sure. But Bayaz knew another thing: Talk is nowhere cheaper than in an inn . Only action counted for sure. But what to do? They were still in the beginning and no one had the military strength to really hurt another player, except a few from the mysterious race named wallet warriors. But you can still test the defenses of your foes for sure.

If Pella were a normal world, Bayaz would look for two places now, where he would settle to solidify his positions. But after hearing more and more of the trolls speeches, he could only control himself with the greatest of efforts. He wanted to shout out: "Punctation marks are NO pack animals" or "Mr. CapsLock should be no friend of yours." And the troll did other very strange things on pella. While taking a walk through the market district he stumbled about an offer:

dgwrdurp43.jpg

Had Bayaz been hit by a spell, without him noticing? Making him sleep for a whole week or two? Many Days needed to pass before someone should make such an offer in earnest. Weren`t they still in the time of clashing and researching, were everybody needed to raise the funds to unveil the secret of conquest, and while doing that, maybe went for battering ram and phalanx too? When silver was the most sought after resource in all of Pella? That set it for Bayaz. He needed to test the troll to see if he was a foolish child like he thought or maybe a genius in disguise, whose cleverness just could not be grasped by a mere human.

He set his mind to this matter. He seemed to recall an repeating absence of his antagonist during the hours of 7 AM and 4 PM. Why not take a closer look during those hours. So he assembled a small but dedicated fleet of Lightships and sent a few of his freshly commissioned slingers along with them. Poor slingers. They all knew, that there was only a very slim chance for even a few of them to survive this endeavor. But all of them were most eager to give their very lives for a just cause. It would take the fleet five and a half hours to reach their destination. Was that to long a voyage? Then he remembered what a good friend always told him:

"Better to do it than live with the fear of it"

He ordered the attack!

The fleet set sail to the nefarious town called 55- NETBREAKER. There he was again. Mr. CAPSLOCK. Bayaz started to shiver again. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. He was a foreigner, but putting a little effort in your writing, greatly increases the reading experience for everyone. It was not that hard a task. Setting his mind back to the matters at hand, he start wondering again, what the final outcome of his little endeavor could be. Would he hit the city scarcely defended and the troll might finally learn the lesson that everything he claimed in his proud boosts gave his enemy hints they could exploit in the upcoming battles? That it would be far wiser to maybe be a little more quiet in the inn?

Or would his troops all die in the harbour without even scratching the city walls? He knew the rules by heart. The Gods of Innosoft designed their many worlds, strongly favoring the defender. Another quote from his friend came to his mind:

"You gotta be realistic"

He decided for himself that even if he lost all of his troops, as long as his men earned him half the amount of BP he would call it a victory.

To be continued............
ETA: 7 Minutes ;)

Edit:
fbtooqdf14.jpg

Obviously no one told the troll about the secret of dodging ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks, it is my first :D

Btw.: Bayaz is a character in the novels from Joe Abercrombie, he is the first of the Magi

DeletedUser

This is the thread of the year. It shows that everyone was correct that he is a noob and that he will be easy to kill later on.

DeletedUser

This is the thread of the year. It shows that everyone was correct that he is a noob and that he will be easy to kill later on.

Really?! You can base that off of a single attack? Or perhaps he wants you to think that, and lure you in? You are foolish to not consider all angles before making an assumption of that magnitude, even if you may be right...I'm not saying one way or the other. Just felt I should nit-pick all your lofty so-called "logic" and back-slapping.

Dumb.

DeletedUser8562

Really?! You can base that off of a single attack? Or perhaps he wants you to think that, and lure you in? You are foolish to not consider all angles before making an assumption of that magnitude, even if you may be right...I'm not saying one way or the other. Just felt I should nit-pick all your lofty so-called "logic" and back-slapping.

Dumb.

yea but its kinda stupid to just let your offense chill and be killed

doh >_<

DeletedUser

So nobody's ever considered he may have ulterior motives? Whether the defender's actions (or lack thereof) appear dumb or not, assuming someone is a noob based on the result of a single attack is foolish. If anything, it gave me more information about bayaz than it did Clint. Seeing attack reports always does.

DeletedUser8562

So nobody's ever considered he may have ulterior motives? Whether the defender's actions (or lack thereof) appear dumb or not, assuming someone is a noob based on the result of a single attack is foolish. If anything, it gave me more information about bayaz than it did Clint. Seeing attack reports always does.

really the slinger "nuke" in the beginning of the game tells nothing. clintaurus gains nothing from leaving his horsies there even if hes just pretending to be bad or something. grepointel says he has played before. so we know he's not entirely clueless...

DeletedUser

If he was trying to sucker people into attacking him though, comments like those made above would only help him and anyone supporting him. Also, bayaz only killed 316 FS of troops... and not. a. single. transport...

I may be reading more into it, but then again... I may not. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to attack him some more, huh?

DeletedUser8562

If he was trying to sucker people into attacking him though, comments like those made above would only help him and anyone supporting him. Also, bayaz only killed 316 FS of troops... and not. a. single. transport...

I may be reading more into it, but then again... I may not. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to attack him some more, huh?

that is true. but why not dodge the hero and horsemen if you are gonna dodge the trans?

DeletedUser

Thank you.

Why can not everybody discuss things like civiliced beings?

I do not enjoy reading suggestion, who is the sibling of whom, or who dates whom here like in other threads here.

DeletedUser

that is true. but why not dodge the hero and horsemen if you are gonna dodge the trans?

There is no reason to dodge with the hero, per the wiki.

Heroes that are shown as wounded will need 18 hours (divided by world's speed) until completely healed. During that time, you can still level up that hero and he/she will still provide his special ability to his town (if applicable). However, a wounded hero will not fight personally, neither in attack, nor in defense.
(The link)

As for the horsemen... who knows? I'm just pointing out holes in the logic that resulted in Childress' comment.

DeletedUser8562

(The link)

As for the horsemen... who knows? I'm just pointing out holes in the logic that resulted in Childress' comment.

there is 100% reason to dodge with the hero. When your hero dies i believe it takes 8 hrs or something to regenerate. That is 8 hrs without the positive effect on your resource production

DeletedUser

(The link)

Ohh i was joking around with my comment. I am a stratagist so i kind of have a general idea of what he could or might be doing. That being said, i would think throwing on militia and dodging troops would have been best at this time in the game. It takes more to rebuild troops now than later. And you also have your city you are working on trying to build.

DeletedUser

there is 100% reason to dodge with the hero. When your hero dies i believe it takes 8 hrs or something to regenerate. That is 8 hrs without the positive effect on your resource production

You didn't follow the link, did you? The positive effect(s) remain. The ones that don't are those that require being sent on an attack.

That little fact was pointed out to me a few hours ago, actually. I had completely glossed over that sentence when reading up on it the first time. And it's 9 hours, not 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8562

You didn't follow the link, did you? The positive effect(s) remain. The ones that don't are those that require being sent on an attack.

That little fact was pointed out to me a few hours ago, actually. I had completely glossed over that sentence when reading up on it the first time.

not before you posted this comment ^^^
now maybe im mistaken ive only played one world with heroes in it seriously... but

i read the link, and i saw "The special abilities of heroes can only unfold while being in a town"

DeletedUser8562

wait i found it

"Heroes that are shown as wounded will need 18 hours (divided by world's speed) until completely healed. During that time, you can still level up that hero and he/she will still provide his special ability to his town (if applicable). However, a wounded hero will not fight personally, neither in attack, nor in defense."

i guess its official: i am a hero newb

DeletedUser

That's how I understand it, and the "...being in a town..." bit meaning assigned. The hero may be in heal mode, but it is still assigned to that city. Thus, the positive effect would still be in place, provided it's only requirement is presence in the city ONLY. If it requires participation in an attack of any kind, its positive effect is of no affect.