New player to Grepolis and Alpha1

DeletedUser240

Just started playing yesterday, glad I stumbled across this game. Is this the correct forum for the Alpha1 world? (Not too many threads so point me to the right destination if I am in the wrong place).

Took a cruise through most of the wiki info before jumping in, so far so good, expecting things to be a bit tough once the beginners protection comes off as I am currently more of a lover than a fighter and don't usually seek to ruffle feathers. Since this is a game about domination I suppose I will have to adapt or die. Resistance is futile and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser39

This indeed is the Alpha-server forum, so you're un the right place. The .us Grepolis hasn't existed for a very long time so far, so it wouldn't be too hard to end up in the right forum now (compared to fora like the .en).

It's a wargame, indeed, so at some point you'll have to fight instead of 'Love you all'. As deffender, you have advantages though; First off, the wall, of course, which will boost your deffence bonus. Second off, you have your farm, which, per farm level, grants 10 militia (15 if you research 'City Guard', something I'd recommend to anyone wanting to play this game seriously. These can be turned on if you see an incomming attack, and will help you deffend. Last but not least, you can hide all your resources but either investing them in buildings, units, or spend your excess resources in expanding your farming villages. The ammount of resources you can hide is very easy to calculate; Multiple your warehouse level with 100, and you'll have it. Warhouse level 5 holds 500 resources hidden, warhouse 14 holds 1400 resources hidden, and so on.

If you have any further questions regarding the game, feel free to post here or contact me in-game

Regards, Acupuncture

DeletedUser240

Thanks for the response. Just want to make sure I don't make a bad choice now that will hurt me later. For instance I have my academy and researched slingers on level 1 (so I can get my 4th farming village) but it looks like you will not have enough research points to research everything. Which of the lower level research items should I skip to save points for later on?

DeletedUser

What you research depends on your style of play. There are certain researches everyone should get in every city, such as Plow, Ram, and Phalanx, but otherwise it depends on what type of city you're building up, and what type of player you are. I myself usually skip Diplomacy, as I like to trade with the farms, Espionage, as I don't mind waiting an extra couple minutes, Meteorology, as land attacks aren't that common except really early game, Crane, as my building queue usually isn't full, Chariots, Fire Ships, Triremes, as I dislike those units especially in revolt worlds. That's what I usually skip for each city, although sometimes I may research Diplomacy, Meteorology or Espionage if I have the extra research points or if they're beneficial to me. That's just me though, for others it's likely different.

Oh, and welcome!

DeletedUser

Another new guy to conquer! :)

I am just kidding. Welcome to the forums and the game!

If you ever need any help just PM me! I have been playing for about 3 years now! Since day 1 of grepolis!

My name is the same as my in-game name! Happy Hunting

DeletedUser

Man I wish more new players were as active you. The ones coming in are just not active enough. It seems as though what we have now is what we will have for awhile. I hate when players come in and then just leave...there are like a hundred worthless 175pts cities around me just taking up space.

Well...besides my ranting, I wish you luck here. This is one of the best browser strategy games out right now and just a good game in general. You will have much fun......and much raging lol.

DeletedUser

Welcome Menes, this is my first time playing grepo as well, and im rank 27 right now, so I can't be doing too bad xD

(No, I'm not pointwhoring :p)

DeletedUser240

Ok, 2 days until the protection comes off, trying to make sure I don't end up a victim, lol.

Thought things would get easier with the resource collection but apparently have to farm 24/7 to keep the pipeline going. Very sad to see how expensive and long the levels are for Academy. Will be some time before I'm off conquering another city, level 22 Academy for Colony ship, whew.

Do I need to be concerned with Attacks from other Oceans or are the only people I should really watch out for in my own ocean?

Sorry for lots of questions, the guides are great for information but no so much on strategy.

DeletedUser

I'm basing this on YOUR location. You should not worry about attacks from other oceans until ocean 75 fills up a bit more with good players.

DeletedUser240

Yeah, discovering that just because you hit one level someplace it very well will just reveal you aren't high enough somewhere else. Thought I could build horsemen after researching them only to discover I had to jack up the barracks and of course couldn't figure out why I could build any more troops when my farm was full, etc. etc.

Making progress though, even made my first attack. One question, can someone tell me the significance of the number in my browser tab? It seems to be changing but I can't really tie it to anything in the game. Right now it says 'Grepolis (158 ) - Old Seattle.' Of course Old Seattle is my city name but what is the 158?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. The number in the browser tab is how many notifications I had.