*NEW* - Name That Deity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser5484

Ul1Lpui.png

Salutations fellow Grepolicians!

This is the first in a series of contests which will require some research skills or lucky guessing! - Unless you are able to conjure some cunning spells to aid you in the challenge to identify which Ancient Greek God we are looking for?
Failing that, get your thinking caps on and join the race to be the first to correctly Guess the God!

Each day a minimum of one clue will be posted, a hint to which God we are looking for.

The rules are simple:

Each player may send in five answers in total - but only one answer per hint.
If you answer right away, you must wait until a new hint has been added.
Your answer has to be sent to the user "The Prize Giver" here on the forum via private message.
Anyone posting the answer in the thread will be disqualified and the post deleted.
The winning answer is the first correct answer to be submitted to this forum account.
PRIZE: 100 gold.

Once the winner has been identified, it will announced in this thread.
Do not expect a reply to your submission.

Guess the God - Round ONE :

Here's the first hint on who we are looking for:

• The image of this Goddess was to be found on vases and stones alongside demons.

hint 2:

• This goddess was terrifying, however the meaning of her name does not suggest so.
  • The goddess whose name we are looking for is a Cretan goddess believed to have preceded Artemis

WINNER : eejit.

Success is dependent on effort. - Sophocles

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5484

Thank you for the responses so far. However in over 500 responses No-one has correctly guessed the goddess we are looking for!

Hint 2 has been added to the first post.

Good Luck!

DeletedUser5484

Hint 3 has now been added to the first post. First correct answer wins 100 gold!

Good Luck!

DeletedUser5484

Congratulations the first person to submit the correct answer was eejit.

After 752 submissions. The answer is :

Hammerknight-Britomartis-the-Huntress.png

Further information on her can be found here.

Thank you all for your entries and well done to our Winner - Your Gold has been added to your account!!

DeletedUser

Congrats eejit!

The Prize Giver will be posting the next god and clue next week!

DeletedUser

you need to check over your rules a little bit..it says to identity the ancient Greek god..Britomartis is primarily a Cretan or Minoan Goddess..

DeletedUser

you need to check over your rules a little bit..it says to identity the ancient Greek god..Britomartis is primarily a Cretan or Minoan Goddess..

Yeah, that confused me a bit as well. I was looking for greek Godesses and it turned out the godess wasn't greek at all.

DeletedUser5199

Thats why I didnt pick this one as well. GOLD for everyone I say!

DeletedUser5088

I got it right but too late :(. I wish it was greek gods too.

DeletedUser

Yeah, that confused me a bit as well. I was looking for greek Godesses and it turned out the godess wasn't greek at all.

I Agree with these two. this goddess is primarily Minoan, and isn't even recognized as a greek goddess in any of the many sources I looked in. If you had picked one of the old titans, I would have understood, as they were Greek and technically still "gods", but the one you picked was Minoan.

maybe stick to gods who are primaraly greek next time?

DeletedUser

The Goddess selected was Cretan as described in the third clue.
The initial description was intended to be vague, so as to make the question more difficult, so the person finally getting the answer deserved it. It isn't much fun if the God is guessed in the first post. However next time we'll bear this in mind and try to be ambiguous without being misleading.
It proved to be very well responded to and the winner thoroughly deserved the gold. Well done!
The next competition will start next week. Good Luck!

DeletedUser298

Maybe not neccasarily make it completly greek gods as that would be too easy, but next time just please at least tell us that it isn't a greek god so we aren't killing ourselves looking at the same stuff over and over again :)

DeletedUser

Your answer is WRONG...I sent you the correct answer...
the goddess HEKATE (or Hecate) She was the only child of the Titanes Perses and Asteria from whom she received her power over heaven, earth, and sea. Often depicted on vases along side demons because she Persephone's minister and companion in Haides.

You said GREEK...not CRETAN...you owe me gold...

DeletedUser

You are owed nothing, and since the rules and interpretation of such are left to the Community Manager, I will not accept your answer. Not to mention that fact that hundreds guessed Hecate before you so you would not be the winner anyway.

In the next round I will open it up to all gods, regardless of Greek or any other religious view we might choose.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.