Lighthouse

DeletedUser1048

I think besides increasing the speed shouldn't it also increase the strength of ships by like 10%, if you think about it if the lighthouse is helping you see/navigate better so shouldn't that help with how well the ships fight in the battle.

DeletedUser2154

Yeah that would make sense and be a nice addition ;) the tower improves ground defense alone though so maybe the lighthouse only improves offensive forces by 10%?

DeletedUser2654

I think it should keep the thing of the speed increase and tell you what an enemies ships are when they have traveled 95% of their journey.

DeletedUser39

I think increasing the travelspeed won't make the building more attractive; having your ships arrive 20% faster at their location is still not in balance with 300 extra population (= more offensive force). I think the lighthouse should get an entirely new purpose (don't ask me, I don't know one), because at some point in the game (especially when world wonders are going to be built) having more units is far more important than having faster, but fewer, units.

Be realistic; if you plan on building a world wonder, are you going to send support in when you spot an attack (thus need to react fast -> lighthouse would come in handy), or do you stack up all cities with a lot of units before the attacker even has a chance to send his attack (thus want more units in there -> thermal baths come in handy). I think we can unanimously agree that the Thermal Baths are far more likely to be chosen in this scenario - which is the most important part of the whole server, as it decides wether you win or lose.

tl;dr: buffing the speed increase won't make the lighthouse more attractive, as speed is far less important than having more units to use.

DeletedUser

I think increasing the travelspeed won't make the building more attractive; having your ships arrive 20% faster at their location is still not in balance with 300 extra population (= more offensive force). I think the lighthouse should get an entirely new purpose (don't ask me, I don't know one), because at some point in the game (especially when world wonders are going to be built) having more units is far more important than having faster, but fewer, units.

Be realistic; if you plan on building a world wonder, are you going to send support in when you spot an attack (thus need to react fast -> lighthouse would come in handy), or do you stack up all cities with a lot of units before the attacker even has a chance to send his attack (thus want more units in there -> thermal baths come in handy). I think we can unanimously agree that the Thermal Baths are far more likely to be chosen in this scenario - which is the most important part of the whole server, as it decides wether you win or lose.

tl;dr: buffing the speed increase won't make the lighthouse more attractive, as speed is far less important than having more units to use.
I agree, I don't think they have created any building that comes close to the baths so far.

DeletedUser2039

I agree, I don't think they have created any building that comes close to the baths so far.
This is true...and they probably won't haha. Just a guess, but unless they decrease thermal baths, not much will change.

DeletedUser2395

I think it should keep the thing of the speed increase and tell you what an enemies ships are when they have traveled 95% of their journey.

the built in Owl would rock.

one thing people miss is that by increasing the speed you increase the distance you can travel... with a 48 hour limit you basically increase your travel limit to 52 hours... So to make the light house more in demand... let ships travel at the increased speed.... unlimited distances! now that first city you had in O55 can support the city you just conquered in O05 might take two days to arrive... but sending support from a 10k city to a newly conquered city in the midst of the battlefield would have huge advantages.

DeletedUser3157

I agree with this!
Being able to see the troops when they are 5% of the travel time away would give some usefulness to this building. But I still wouldn't use it unless I got a 25-30% boost in boat speed also. The only time I use this building is if it is in a brime only defensive support city. Sometimes getting those brimes there is very important... But the boost in speed is currently not fast enough...

-Vys

DeletedUser

Why not switch it from the left side to the right side? Make people decide on Tower for defense or Lighthouse for ship speed.

Kariella

Hoplite
I think the Lighthouse should basically remain as is with some changes...

1. take away the 15% speed increase
2. add a 25% time compression to travel time (maybe 50% with gold?)

The problem with increasing speed is that you can also increase the distance a ship can travel and this will unbalance the game in the same way that staging troops would... but by compressing time (aka warp speed? if I got that right kinda) you do not change the total distance that the ship can travel, you just get it there faster and since you are restricting distance you can now decrease the time to target without creating a huge inbalance...

I just had to send a CS on a 15 hour journey... now you all know damn well the reception that I got when I arrived giving them 15 hours to prepare ;)

But if I could have cut that to 11.25? hours or 7.5 hours (with gold) then properly timed that could have a dramatic effect on how much support a city could muster...

and as I am typing this I am thinking maybe forget the gold part I mentioned and make it a 25% increase on cities within 1-24 hours and a 50% increase on cities within 24-48 hours (no increase on travel to cities under 1 hour... its already fast enough.. can you say blood bath on same island wars)

Last edited: