Keeping your City and Units Safe while Offline

DeletedUser

I am new to this game, though not new to real-time strategy games. What is confusing me is that I see no way to keep things safe while I am offline. in other games I can send my units off on a task, set to return when I get back online. They can even carry me resources with them (though overnight production I can do nothing about).

My question is, how can I do something similar here? I do not want to wake up every day and find I have been attacked overnight, or while I was at work.

DeletedUser

You can send out your troops to attack a village while offline- find an inactive player farther away and send all your troops. This can't really be done before getting transports, so if this is a big concern of yours, either take out the competition or get boats ASAP. If you have transports and whatnot, and know you will be offline for 8 hours, find a village 4 hours away. Bam. All set. ;)

DeletedUser

Support a strong player, and if you are online, call it back!

DeletedUser

Will that save you from someone that wants to conquer you in the middle of the night? How do you defend against that?

DeletedUser39

Will that save you from someone that wants to conquer you in the middle of the night? How do you defend against that?

There is not much you can do against someone that puts you under conquest (Starts a revolt for revolt worlds) during the night. Your best guess would be to leave a lot of biremes in your harbour, or highten your city wall fast at the start of the server, and play defensive; making yourself a difficult target might safe you quite a few cities, as some players aren't willing to lose troops over a few cities (Which, in my opinion, are players that shouldn't play a war game).

Anyhow, the only real way to prevent yourself being conquered, is having yourself prepared when time is due. If you are still playing SimCity style, you can expect an overnight attack, because undefended large cities are target nr. 1

DeletedUser

Well this is what happened to me, I was trying to build up and got smashed to the ground. Now my new city is out in the middle of nowhere. I'd like to build up defensively before anything else.. what kind of walls should I shoot for? 10? 20? 100? Do a lot of troops around town matter? or is it more about biremes in the harbor? And why biremes? what about fire ships or other things?

DeletedUser

Walls max out at 25. I tend to keep them at 10-15 until I get conquest.

Swords are awesome, because slingers are awesome. Put simply, you tend to see a lot of slingers and horsemen, and not a lot of hoplites. A few archers will be good later, but swordsmen should be priority, as militia can provide fairly decent sharp defense.

The higher the wall, the better your land defenses are. If your wall isn't too high, it's smarter to rely heavier on biremes. Regardless, it's always good to have a few biremes in the harbor, as if you win the naval battle against enemy ships, you can take out some of their transports as well, thus taking out troops before they even land. Fire ships don't do that, but they're better at taking out the light ships your attacker will undoubtedly send at you. I still prefer biremes though.