Honor, Integrity and Cheating Within the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I know many of us on the US server have come over from the EN servers. We've played for quite a while. We know the ins and outs of this game to the point where we can know what an adversary is going to do before they even put their plans into action.

But, what I want to express is the things I've seen when it comes to the lacking of honor and integrity within this game. This is a war game and for some that means no holds barred. You do whatever you must to win. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but still within a game there should be some form of honesty and integrity. We have spies provided for us in game...yet so many think to have others infiltrate other alliances in order to gain information rather than playing the game as it was meant to be played.

Then you have others who feel they have to get ahead by cheating. You know who you are...as does the rest of the world on which you are playing. This reputation will follow you wherever you go, whether or not you are caught by the mods and techs who check every day, every hour for discrepancies in the scripts.

How to detect a cheater? Oh, there are many ways. The easiest, perhaps, are the multi-accounters, though usually those are caught pretty quickly. Then there are those who have to use bots and scripts which not only farm for them every five minutes, but can enlist militia, warn a player if they are being attacked and other things as well. When you find an alliance or player that always seems to be online, no matter the time when you launch an attack; when they seem to have an endless supply of resources; can cast certain spells requiring high favor that exceed the favor limit within an hour or two (such as casting wisdom 4 to 5 times in an hour when wisdom's cost is 140; who can suddenly build up 100 biremes within a few hours (possible with gold, but not so much when it comes to resources), then your best bet is to submit a ticket to Support.

Most likely at that point, you've found someone who hasn't yet been caught. We can't expect the mods and techs to find everything. They are only human after all. But what we can do to keep honor and integrity in this game, to keep the playing field fair, is to help them by reporting such incidents when we find them.

People need to remember that this is a game. What does cheating, sending player spies to other alliances in the hopes of sabotaging/besting that alliance serve when it's not going to make much of a difference in your real life? Bragging rights? Oh yes...win by cheating. That's a lot to brag about, isn't it? Or, perhaps, it's a simple matter of a person not having the skill to win at this game and they know this so they have to resort to such underhanded tactics? In some cases, as with a few I've seen recently, it's more a childish tactic than anything else. Or a matter of wanting to save their own hides.

The EN servers are filled with those who cheat, perform every underhanded tactic they can in order to win. The sad thing of this is that they brag of doing such things, especially when their sabotage causes an alliance to disband. But this is the US server. It would be nice to show the world that the US does still hold to such things as honor, no matter what it is we are doing or who we are dealing with, even if it's just a game we play online. Show respect to others, no matter their country or culture. Treat them with decency, even if in this game they are your adversary. And when you find those who are breaking the rules...submit the ticket and during the interim where the mods are looking into the possibility of someone's cheating, make sure that those using underhanded tactics remember that this is a game...and cheating isn't going to be tolerated.

DeletedUser

I would encourage anyone who thinks that someone is cheating to please submit a support ticket and we will investigate. By cheating I do mean things that are against the rules. I get tickets occasionally from people telling me that someone is spying. While some might see spying as unethical, it is not against the rules. But multiaccounting, illegal scripts, illegal bots, phishing, RL threats, and things of that sort are not tolerated and I take a very harsh stance on these things.

DeletedUser

Well said!

Ive played on many worlds, and whilst I love a challenge, and alliance filled with cheating is not a challenge. Its a steamroller. It saps the enjoyment out the game, you do not pit your skill against anothers, but your pitting your skill against the inexhaustable resources of another saps all the enjoyment out of what is, otherwise, a great game.

DeletedUser

Well said!

Ive played on many worlds, and whilst I love a challenge, and alliance filled with cheating is not a challenge. Its a steamroller. It saps the enjoyment out the game, you do not pit your skill against anothers, but your pitting your skill against the inexhaustable resources of another saps all the enjoyment out of what is, otherwise, a great game.

Hi newb, welcome to Grepolis.

DeletedUser

I did not sleep last night I was connected with all my friends all night, we played so well that we were able to sink them all. but the thing that helped us and that between the last attack and the last but there were always at least 6 seconds, and the thing in my opinion is very serious, and it was too easy to place the biremes. I think to attack 3 hours, as you can think of to pass? I do not know what level you're used to but I'm used to do better. should not sometimes confuse their inability organizational blaming the non correctness of their opponents. You will see that if you do better, you too can take a city and so we'll have even more without us not blame the spies or other fantasies.

DeletedUser

I did not sleep last night I was connected with all my friends all night, we played so well that we were able to sink them all. but the thing that helped us and that between the last attack and the last but there were always at least 6 seconds, and the thing in my opinion is very serious, and it was too easy to place the biremes. I think to attack 3 hours, as you can think of to pass? I do not know what level you're used to but I'm used to do better. should not sometimes confuse their inability organizational blaming the non correctness of their opponents. You will see that if you do better, you too can take a city and so we'll have even more without us not blame the spies or other fantasies.

Now I find this very interesting, actually. Especially as I wasn't pointing fingers, naming names or speaking of what took place yesterday. In fact, I was speaking more in a general way as it crossed my mind and was something I wished to discuss with others and get their opinions on such things.

That you have come forward, alcereno, and seem to want to defend last night's fiasco, makes me and perhaps others wonder as well if in fact you do so as the result of a guilty conscience? Only someone with a guilty conscience is going to come forward and seek to defend something or someone who wasn't at all the subject of discussion. It's as if you believe the post is directed at you and your alliance. Again...something that makes many people wonder.

As for the happenings from yesterday, which is not a topic of this thread but I will comment since you so graciously brought up the subject, commendations have to be given to 300 for their victories.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Who mentioned you or your, admittedly good, alliance? I did not, and Lady A certainly did not. Am I know saying that it was aimed at you and yours? certainly not. So, no need to get your knickers in a twist mate :p Unless you have a confession? haha, JK.

DeletedUser

I have to agree with the multi-accounting, but not with the spies.

People have used FAIR spies for as long as Grepolis has been here. Not dual-accounting ones, but ones that leave the alliance and join he other to gain information.

DeletedUser

Nobody has said that it was aimed at your supposedly "good" alliance. :p

But ... it seems interesting, to say the least, that you are denying something you weren't accused of but it does hint that you are hiding something but then again ... never mind. ;)

well all i can say the game has just began my friend thisisgrepolis

DeletedUser

It is sad to see that people need to cheat to feel good about themselves.
It is seen over and over again, and there have been so many people here banned for such things already.
Thank you Lady for this post. Hopefully an eye opener for many.

DeletedUser

sounds like some of us are missing all the action :( i have run across people who have multi accounts here as well and they are paying the price for it :) as far as spies,well nobody likes spies and i do everything possible to weed them out but you can never be 100% sure your alliance is clean.i did receive a msg out of the blue about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it said something about farming bots.and something else that i ignored like i do with all the spam i have been getting every couple of days :(

DeletedUser

sounds like some of us are missing all the action :( i have run across people who have multi accounts here as well and they are paying the price for it :) as far as spies,well nobody likes spies and i do everything possible to weed them out but you can never be 100% sure your alliance is clean.i did receive a msg out of the blue about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it said something about farming bots.and something else that i ignored like i do with all the spam i have been getting every couple of days :(

lol Robert, if you're anything like me once you find a spy in your alliance you don't just kick them out... You rim them so many times they finally give up. And then you go after the alliance they are spying for. The way I see it is this... If an alliance has to use spies other than those provided in the game, then they can't be a very good alliance. Seems to me alliances which do that are lacking not only in skill but in confidence as well.

DeletedUser

lol Robert, if you're anything like me once you find a spy in your alliance you don't just kick them out... You rim them so many times they finally give up. And then you go after the alliance they are spying for. The way I see it is this... If an alliance has to use spies other than those provided in the game, then they can't be a very good alliance. Seems to me alliances which do that are lacking not only in skill but in confidence as well.
i agree with you 100%.its funny as soon as i posted that i received a msg about farming bots i got this msg asking me to take a math quiz lol.weird but okay :)

DeletedUser1022

I agree. I have always hated alliance that used spies, but at least now most veteran leaders know how to get around them and how to fish them out by now. Sure, some ways may take a while, but it get's ride of them and it helps find out who they are. Then, like you said Arachne, you destroy them till there is no remains of them on a world. And the thing that makes that even better is all the hate mail that you get to post on forums for all to make fun of. lol. That is one of the greatest things, is watching people freak out over nothing.

DeletedUser

lol Hman, you are right on that. That's how so many alliances fall apart, too. The implementation of spies causes panic, disruption and a loss of trust between alliance members. There is more to warfare, even in a game, than just having numbers of troops and ships... Psychological warfare is also very effective.

Also, the captcha math questions... In the latest update, it was stated one of the changes would be the integration of a program to catch bot users more easily. I think that the captcha is part of that program. Though honestly, I hate math. Daedalus, if you're reading this, does it matter if we give the wrong answer? My eyes aren't that great and it's difficult to see the numbers at times. Add to that my horrific ability for math and I'm bound to put a wrong answer in there at some point.

DeletedUser1022

lol, just grab a calculator. Hopefully you wont get it wrong then.

DeletedUser

i got 1 wrong, had to do another one

don't get too many wrong otherwise the moderators will ban you permanently and not give you a reason why...it's like the NFL and Roger Goodell are running everything around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.