Grepolis alliances (concerns)

DeletedUser

I would like to start out by saying I am fairly new to Grepolis and thoroughly enjoy the game thus far. I understand the concept of warring and conquesting and truly enjoy that type of game play.

My main concern is how alliances usually recruit and work in Grepolis generally. I know there are a lot of MRA that just grab everyone they can for some points and rank. I also understand those that fight their way to the top being selective.

I started Grepolis about a month ago and brought a few gamer friends from another game that we were burnt out on. We then started to work towards CSs and centering ourselves together so that we could enjoy the game more.

The game, especially on Chi, is now ruined for us. I received a letter from what seemed to be a fairly nice guy in a rank 7 alliance. I assume he is the founder by the way he talks. We exchanged a few emails about him wanting me to join and so forth. I discussed it with my group and we decided that we wanted to stay just us for the time being. I letter3d the guy back politely declining the invite and explaining that we wanted to stay just our core group and enjoy the game to ourselves eventually conquesting other closely ranked alliances.

Within minutes I received a hateful reply and the attacks started to roll in. I messaged him back saying I thought it was poor tactics and wondered why a ranked 7 alliance was trying to tear a ranked 60 something alliance apart or why we even posed a threat. The reply was "I just want you to join us" in so many words.

So I either have the option of joining a bullying alliance and losing my core repoir with my group or leaving the game due to being harassed by a much higher ranked alliance due to number of members.

My question boils down to this, is this the way things work in Grepolis? Are bigger alliances known for bullying smaller lower ranked alliances around just to gain members and rank? I would think they would want a better reputation than that. Thoughts?

DeletedUser2341

a lot of idiot alliance leaders have the same "join or die" mindset. just build troops and learn the fundamentals of how to defend, counter and attack. dont let their way of running their weak alliance discourage you from learning how to play this game. just remember that the fact they are in the top 10 alliances with that kind of "i just want you to join us" point of view tells you that most likely 90% of their members are beginners just like you and yours, but your advantage is that you have a handful of active committed players ... and i value 10 noob active committed players over 50 semi-active noobs lead by other moronic noobs any day.

basically, dont let these fools get you down... and read up here http://grepolis-pro.blogspot.com/ ... tons of good info on everything about this game... good luck!

DeletedUser

First off I want to say that this is a war game. The first time I played this game i joined the first alliance that invite me. About 3 weeks later i was attacked and conquered. The second time I played the game, I lasted much longer and enjoyed it quite a lot. For the record I am the one who was just called an idiot moron justa mminute ago. I started an mra and yes it is a pain to run, but I have invested a lot of time and patience doing timing drills with people that are brand new to the game and we have a lot of fun. In a war game like this, there is a strategy in positioning and battle points. If everyone does not attack someone because they are new then this would not be a war game. I have spent a lot of time and money on this game. I really enjoy it very much and you can't expect to have a flawless victory the first time you ever play grepolis there is a concept in this game that i truly love. If you don't battle you don't grow. If you start a small alliance up 2 months after the game starts then you will almost assuredly be on a part of the map that someone wants. I would recommend that you and your buddies start a world in grepolis as soon as it opens up so you will have had the same amount of time to grow that every one else has had. I don't mean to spoil your fun, but I intend to make my alliance as powerful as possible. This game does have a feeling of loss when you spend all your time building up just to have it taken and it can also be expensive. ...I know because it has happened to me 3 times. Good luck and happy hunting.

DeletedUser2341

hey man, no offense was meant aside from the basic "if you have an alliance that has the policy of join or die youre prolly a moron" but basically, in my opinion if your alliance policy is "join or die" youre prolly a moron... regardless of your grepo experience. all im saying is dont fear the fools who tell you to join or die, because most of the time they are a group of idiots filled with players under the impression that if they dont join, they will die. and usually... if you dont join these groups, you will last longer then if you do.

basically, talk is cheap. troops win battles. good groups will find good players... weak groups will lose them. as is grepo.

DeletedUser

I find the name calling out of place. I am new to Grepolis but a long time CIV player. As in any strategy game there are many strategies for playing. Following one strategy or another does not make one an idiot or moron. Play your game and may the best strategy win

DeletedUser

I agree with Dead "Join or die" is a noob strategy, and I find that most people who join under such conditions go inactive in the long run because they aren't happy in the alliance they were forced to join. Some Unhappy people reach out to the alliances enemies and start feeding them information from their own forums. This approach is somewhat an MRA move instead of asking people to join you should stick to the 10 or 20 members you originally began with and kill everyone else in your area, if someone messages you themselves than interview them. If your happy with the conversation take them in, but by all means let them come to you. If no 1 is coming to you it's because you aren't as impressive as you believe you are.

Alot of Alliances wonder why they have spies and it's honestly because of MRA tactics such as these. The want of power is overwhelming, the want to climb the leaderboards as well. But those leaderboards often deceive many a player, and recruiting someone you should have rimmed is not a power play at all.

As for the Original poster for future reference there is no shame in joining a "join or die" alliance with the single goal of taking them out internally. Ruin all their conquests attempts, Find out who their leaders are and conquer them while they are offline. Preferably with a city right next to theirs, it is easy to get close when you are in, preferably with help from 1 of their enemies ;)

and hey ker-plunk now that I got ya on the forums, just wanna say this was pretty Hilarious, I'm sure everyone in 44 got one, So now I say should you of all ppl be asking if this is the way grepolis works? Oh the Irony

thisisgrepolis

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The irony is hilarious
The reality is, is we didnt say join or die, we asked them to join and they respectively said no. Ther r several ways we could have treated it, we could hav waited and as they gained more experience and learned wat grepointel was they wud understand they had no choice to join, and we wud hav had more active players... ooops. That was a mistake on our part. But on the other hand. We cant let them grow into something huge to challenge us.. and we dont want to pact with an alliance less than 20, at tht point we r security guards. It is they're folly that yhey didnt join. If we let everyone b happy and thrive around us then this isnt a war gane anymore, it's barney and friends. So no, we did not let them flourish, we didnt say join or die, but n reality that is wat it was, soon as they declined we boosted our points . It would hav been much better to have them with us tho. Grepointel. .. loook at it noob. Trust me. Ive been taken trying to start my own alliance. You hav to make changes, sometimes your alliance isnt going to b the winner, u hav to merge... hell my alliance may merge... depends on my situation and wats best for my alliance.

DeletedUser

I agree with Dead "Join or die" is a noob strategy, and I find that most people who join under such conditions go inactive in the long run because they aren't happy in the alliance they were forced to join. Some Unhappy people reach out to the alliances enemies and start feeding them information from their own forums. This approach is somewhat an MRA move instead of asking people to join you should stick to the 10 or 20 members you originally began with and kill everyone else in your area, if someone messages you themselves than interview them. If your happy with the conversation take them in, but by all means let them come to you. If no 1 is coming to you it's because you aren't as impressive as you believe you are.

Alot of Alliances wonder why they have spies and it's honestly because of MRA tactics such as these. The want of power is overwhelming, the want to climb the leaderboards as well. But those leaderboards often deceive many a player, and recruiting someone you should have rimmed is not a power play at all.

As for the Original poster for future reference there is no shame in joining a "join or die" alliance with the single goal of taking them out internally. Ruin all their conquests attempts, Find out who their leaders are and conquer them while they are offline. Preferably with a city right next to theirs, it is easy to get close when you are in, preferably with help from 1 of their enemies ;)

and hey ker-plunk now that I got ya on the forums, just wanna say this was pretty Hilarious, I'm sure everyone in 44 got one, So now I say should you of all ppl be asking if this is the way grepolis works? Oh the Irony

thisisgrepolis
The ONLY reason that guy was attacked like that was for the names he called me. I honestly thought he was inactive because his city did not change for about two weeks. I then sent a small attack in and he commenced to calling me every name in the book. Im not quite sure how to load SSs from mobile or I would but would fear I'd get forum banned for posting his language.

I do appreciate the reply and the info though. Dually noted.

The irony is hilarious
The reality is, is we didnt say join or die, we asked them to join and they respectively said no. Ther r several ways we could have treated it, we could hav waited and as they gained more experience and learned wat grepointel was they wud understand they had no choice to join, and we wud hav had more active players... ooops. That was a mistake on our part. But on the other hand. We cant let them grow into something huge to challenge us.. and we dont want to pact with an alliance less than 20, at tht point we r security guards. It is they're folly that yhey didnt join. If we let everyone b happy and thrive around us then this isnt a war gane anymore, it's barney and friends. So no, we did not let them flourish, we didnt say join or die, but n reality that is wat it was, soon as they declined we boosted our points . It would hav been much better to have them with us tho. Grepointel. .. loook at it noob. Trust me. Ive been taken trying to start my own alliance. You hav to make changes, sometimes your alliance isnt going to b the winner, u hav to merge... hell my alliance may merge... depends on my situation and wats best for my alliance.

You are seriously worried about an alliance of friends much smaller than you? We would never be near your power on our little 18 man island here but ok. I like the style of this game but the tactics are un respectable. Is it really worth ruining someones game over? Flip the table. You wouldn't like the situation either. I didnt ask for a pact to have a bodyguard. I asked for a pact just so we could play but you totally missed that. We have a pact in effect with two other alliances but do you see us calling out for help against your bombardments? Thought so. Enjoy your bullying.

On another war note, I totally believe in war games and fighting to enjoy a game. The point is, fight for a reason and fight equally. With respect and the way I replied to you there should be no reason for this. War someone close to your power and rank. If we ever got up there then war us but I don't see it happening since, as I've pointed out before, we are a group of friends who prefer to stay that way in our initial core. Do something to be proud of. The point difference and rank difference between us and you is nothing to be proud of. As I've also said, you are managing to ruin the game for someone when you could go about your business. Its fine, we shall trek out again to find a game similar, hopefully without the tactics ive seen from your group.

DeletedUser

I hav been in ur situation, it wud be retarded not to merge. And in another world, I merged. Dude it's war, not everyone b happy and live peacefully . I see u r distraught. Try another world. They're new ones all the time. And wen u find urself in a situation wher it's u and a couple of friends surrounded by big alliances, I sughest u pick one

DeletedUser

personally i find mra to be a fail strat. its alright if you intend to train your noobs and move them to a new server once they have the swing of things but it wont win you your mra server.

if you have 18 people in your alliance and you have played before in games etc, you have a huge leg up on the rest. just look at chiguanas. my suggestion would be to dlu up a bit on your island, dodge with your olu, pull militia and support each other. keep that up till you and yours have a decent strike force, then snag the leaders of the alliance that "oppressed" you. fact is with mra if you cut the head off the snake the body fades away.

if you own one island thats a good start, keep your guys taking cities on the same islands so they are together and grow grow grow. points dont mean a blessed thing except how close someone is to conquest. 7k city hits no harder than a 4k...ok they prob have bigger farms..but thats not necessarily true either.

in any case i wish you luck, and hope oyu and yours dont give up on grepo. we need some better competition out there and it sounds like with a little work and knowledge you just might have what it takes. feel free to message me in game and i will send you several links that are useful for knowledge on gameplay as well as gaining intel on your enemies ;)

even though im just a lowly slave atm.. hehe

in all fairness to poop.. not hat i agree necessarily.. grepo isnt much to do with ranking and power in choosing your opponents. its about positioning.

if you were close to me i would prob take your city too. however i never would have sent the invite. i am in a similar situation. brought a group of friends over from a game we played a couple years. i have grepo experience but noone else did. i took them to server tau, trained them up a few months and when i thought they were ready to have an end game future/chance i brought them here. now our ranks are largely closed to recruits and its working out pretty well so far.

i suggest you do the same.

as i said if you would like tips etc shoot me a message

DeletedUser

Since they were new they didnt undersrand the severity of the situation. If we leave them there. They can b recruited by somone else, an enemy. No one is going to let them survive. Unless they r chihuana status. As far as I cud see thwy wer a liability. .. but u r right, I cud hav invested in them hoping they do join me later , or play another server together. Sorry I ruined the gane for u dude

DeletedUser

meh, hopefully they dont quit but rather take the lesson you have offered them and learn/grow from it.

frankly i may not have done any different, especially looking at their positioning etc. you let the wrong person grow in grepo and it could spell you doom down the road lol a Lot of people hate me just as much... they just dont use the externals to express it i guess hehe probably too noob to know its here.

DeletedUser

LOL ker plunk

thisisgrepolis

it doesnt matter why , all that matters is if they can!

if an alliance wants you to join or die than you must make that decision JOIN OR DIE lol... in history this has been put into practice alot and most the time they joined and didnt die and they got to keep their country and live... no matter how small you are or if your a threat now or later , if they want to say join or die and they CAN kill you just make the smart decisions obviously your not experienced enough why not join a alliance and learn ? its how we all learned i remember my first world my first alliance taught me everything and im grateful for it..

and

if you really dont wanna join and you dont wanna die , just join anywayz! im sure the alliance wont stick around long you and your friends can continue growing... sometimes you g2 put pride aside and just play smart in order to survive , ive seen too many people get rimmed and loose all their cities cause of pride, whats the point its a video game! survive and live to play another day...

DeletedUser

Since they were new they didnt undersrand the severity of the situation. If we leave them there. They can b recruited by somone else, an enemy. No one is going to let them survive. Unless they r chihuana status. As far as I cud see thwy wer a liability. .. but u r right, I cud hav invested in them hoping they do join me later , or play another server together. Sorry I ruined the gane for u dude

If you are sorry then why don't you quit? I fended off the CS and survived that but your group continues. You'll always be bigger and I'll never be a threat but you continue. Geeze just let us play a little bit.

LOL ker plunk

thisisgrepolis

it doesnt matter why , all that matters is if they can!

if an alliance wants you to join or die than you must make that decision JOIN OR DIE lol... in history this has been put into practice alot and most the time they joined and didnt die and they got to keep their country and live... no matter how small you are or if your a threat now or later , if they want to say join or die and they CAN kill you just make the smart decisions obviously your not experienced enough why not join a alliance and learn ? its how we all learned i remember my first world my first alliance taught me everything and im grateful for it..

and

if you really dont wanna join and you dont wanna die , just join anywayz! im sure the alliance wont stick around long you and your friends can continue growing... sometimes you g2 put pride aside and just play smart in order to survive , ive seen too many people get rimmed and loose all their cities cause of pride, whats the point its a video game! survive and live to play another day...

I appreciate the input. Its truly not about pride. We just prefer to stay 'us' is all. We would like to learn the game but would prefer to learn the right battle tactics instead of the thrown together to survive kind.

DeletedUser

I appreciate the input. Its truly not about pride. We just prefer to stay 'us' is all. We would like to learn the game but would prefer to learn the right battle tactics instead of the thrown together to survive kind.

he gave you an option though you must choose one , by not choosing one your really choosing one which is death... so JOIN !!! and continue doing your thing with ur boys and eventually something else will occur , small alliances get eaten up theres no way a small alliance can survive without experienced players... and threat or no threat for watever reason they wanna kill you guys, so again... JOIN OR DIE !!

or

maybe come back with an offer? maybe a Pact , and say we will never turn on you guys to assure them that you wont be a threat to them later on in the game

DeletedUser

In all honesty we did not give the ...join or die ultimatum. ..my council wanted to sneak attack and I told them that I would much rather recruit them instead of taking them out and kerplunk declined and was attacked. But I would never recruit someone join or die because of obvious reasons. ..loyalty to the alliance. If he would have joined by his own decisions. .then he would have had the morale and loyalty i was looking for.

DeletedUser

https://db.tt/FFmuYwsB

https://db.tt/c77CkeWi

https://db.tt/QA7xW6p8

That's not "join or die"?

Anyways, back to I thought you said you were sorry for trying to ruin our game. Is that why you are keeping up your nuisance attacks? Your guys are sloppy. They have wiped more of your own members ships than my groups. Back to the academy!!!

https://db.tt/FFmuYwsB

https://db.tt/c77CkeWi

https://db.tt/QA7xW6p8

That's not "join or die"?

Anyways, back to I thought you said you were sorry for trying to ruin our game. Is that why you are keeping up your nuisance attacks? Your guys are sloppy. They have wiped more of your own members ships than my groups. Back to the academy!!!

DeletedUser

LOL poop dolla it says it right there , IF YOUR NOT WITH US YOUR AGAINST US

and even if u didnt say that asking someone to join and they decline and u start killing them is the same thing as join or die lol

DeletedUser

yeah, i thought about joining you guys, glad I didn't, your totally an MRA, and an MRA actually trying to succeed in this world.. Join or die, how pathetic...
Good luck to ker-plunk and his alliance, you deserve this win. I remember a few times something similar happened when i first started, had a small not super skilled, but close com unity, and we got wiped by a strong alliance, though at least the did it like a good alliance rather than join or die.... lol.