First City Strategy

DeletedUser

Hey all I was just curious about everyone's ideas on the first city build here on omicron. When I was on zeta I quickly built my empire where i was in the top 30 players and tbh I cant really remember how I designed my first city. I obviously on zeta used city specilization on each of my cities. However I was thinking about the strategy of just making my first city as the conquest city in Groms guide. With 150 Chariots 400 Hoplits with Tiremes CS obviously and Slow transports. But then I was thinking of trying a hybrid type city to begin with incase I come under attack quickly as my CS city probably wouldnt be the best for defense. Any suggestions is appreciated.

DeletedUser

All depends on what island you start on and go from there. Also, are there enemies/threats near your main city. All of these need to be taken into consideration when designing your city.

DeletedUser

Doesnt everyone have enemies around them at this stage? lol

DeletedUser

Depends on the size and aggressiveness of nearby players, considering you are in your own small alliance i'd suggest you have a good amount of defense as you'll be a prime target for nearby predators

DeletedUser

Doesnt everyone have enemies around them at this stage? lol

There are "enemies"-members of different alliances that should cause no real threat to you. This can be from their lack of experience or lack of leadership in their alliance.

Then Enemies- legit threat to your city.

As Mort said you are in a small alliance with aggressive players nearby, so I would look more towards defense. With that being said don't shy away from the offensive side.

DeletedUser

So let me rephrase this question then. How are you guys desiging your first city? I understand the variables you are saying about location and all that. I was really just curious to see how others are building there first city. I focused on getting my farming villages first so it has stunted my growth a bit. I have 7 of them and working on the 8th one right now. Also since i went for the farming villages and i farm alot i decided to max out warehouse first. Im gonna move along to academy next.

DeletedUser

ive been focusing on offensive units and getting conquest faster, been evenly dividing between warehouse, harbour, and acad, also my farm level is fairly high

DeletedUser

So because you focused on offensive units. When you attempt your first conquest what will you use to hold the siege? Im assuming you are gonna get the other players in your alliance to build defense first?

DeletedUser

i have enough base defense to hold off someone that isn't in the top 12 alliances, i usually look for victims that are in a moment of weakness as my first target. Also my alliance will be helping at least a little i'd assume. I wouldn't give away a detailed strat

DeletedUser4951

Hey all I was just curious about everyone's ideas on the first city build here on omicron. When I was on zeta I quickly built my empire where i was in the top 30 players and tbh I cant really remember how I designed my first city. I obviously on zeta used city specilization on each of my cities. However I was thinking about the strategy of just making my first city as the conquest city in Groms guide. With 150 Chariots 400 Hoplits with Tiremes CS obviously and Slow transports. But then I was thinking of trying a hybrid type city to begin with incase I come under attack quickly as my CS city probably wouldnt be the best for defense. Any suggestions is appreciated.

1. Mix up your units. Your first conquest is probably the toughest because everything has to be right. So have swords, archers, slingers, hoplites, horses, etc.

2. Never use triemes...Like ever. Don't by into the hybrid stuff they're not good and never will be. They're like the Cleveland Browns.

DeletedUser

1. Mix up your units. Your first conquest is probably the toughest because everything has to be right. So have swords, archers, slingers, hoplites, horses, etc.

2. Never use triemes...Like ever. Don't by into the hybrid stuff they're not good and never will be. They're like the Cleveland Browns

Thanks for your opinion but when you are sending a CS Tiremes are the best units to have. The reason tiremes suck is because of there speed but when you are sending them with your CS in a specialized Conquest city this negates that.

DeletedUser

No, honestly triremes aren't better :p its cheaper/more effecient to just send your ls & biremes on the same trip lol

DeletedUser271

No, honestly triremes aren't better :p its cheaper/more effecient to just send your ls & biremes on the same trip lol

Nope... What if there are a few biremes left in the harbor? That would mean a lot of biremes losses for you and plenty BP for your enemy and if he has several cities, it would make it easier to get the culture points to get a new cultural level and come and take your city(ies) ;-)

I agree with Nemesis4u, Triremes are good but only for a conquest world, they are completely useless on revolt worlds ^^ Plus, there will soon be the rebalancing and Triremes will go much faster so the argument stating that Triremes are too slow will soon be invalid :-D

DeletedUser

Triremes still lack the attack/defence to be of much use besides conquest but hey-ho there we go.

I personally am an aggressive player out of the gate although I always ensure to have some level of defences there for the siege of course. When it comes to my second city it all depends on what I need and what my alliance needs. For example on one world my alliance was very aggressive and so lacked defence. My second city therefore was a mixed bir/LDU city because that's what my alliance needed the most at that time. I can always change the build later so it's fine.

The difficult part isn't so much deciding what kind of city to build, but whether or not you'll be able to change it quickly should an enemy figure out what is built there.

W4RR10R

Chilliarch
Anywho, city building, keep it very well balanced, half n' half, offence and defence, naval and ground. Depending on your area, you might want to go more offensive, if you are surrounded by alliance mates, or if there is more red around you, or unknown alliances, you might favor defence more

DeletedUser

Posting off topic and/or offensive content is not allowed. I have cleaned up this thread so please do not make me have to start handing out infractions. Thank you.

DeletedUser4356

I like my cities to be defensive, attack with swords and archers and kill everything with Colony Ships. I think it is the best way to go. Colony Ships have the best attacks so far.

Last edited by a moderator: