Early thoughts?

DeletedUser8562

World seems a little empty... only 5,000 players...

Maybe they should've sent out emails / announced it ingame and on the forums :(

DeletedUser5973

I think I am going to send out a few MM to enemy alliaces in different worlds to spread the word, Or is that considered spam? Serious question

DeletedUser1048

I think I am going to send out a few MM to enemy alliaces in different worlds to spread the word, Or is that considered spam? Serious question

I think it will be considered spam. As I know Druvi on the EN tried messaging people about coming on the external forum and well that was considered spam.

DeletedUser1111

World seems a little empty... only 5,000 players...

Maybe they should've sent out emails / announced it ingame and on the forums :(

I got an email from Inno... Not sure why because I have ignored each notice since PHI. I guess it worked in part since I dropped by for old times sake.
Reminds me of a story...
I grew up in the Midwest in a small farming town. I got the hell out at sixteen and never looked back. I happened to be traveling thru on business and decided to drop by to see my hometown.
Wow... What a mistake. The "downtown" was dead and replaced with a Walmart and a strip mall out by the new PRISON they built on the edge of town. My childhood sweetheart looked like a toad... It was all vaguely familiar but utterly grotesque.

It is said that........You can can never go back.

This was one of the best online games I ever played... Back when the game was balanced and flush with new players eager to learn and compete. Back before Inno sold out to their investors and started to monetize the life out of the game with one gold grabbing mod after the other. Cashing in on a really great game until one by one the great players all got disgusted and disappeared. I have Grepolis skype rooms with hundreds of contacts... Maybe one or two are still playing.

I am amazed that 5000 showed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5088

I got an email from Inno... Not sure why because I have ignored each notice since PHI. I guess it worked in part since I dropped by for old times sake.
Reminds me of a story...
I grew up in the Midwest in a small farming town. I got the hell out at sixteen and never looked back. I happened to be traveling thru on business and decided to drop by to see my hometown.
Wow... What a mistake. The "downtown" was dead and replaced with a Walmart and a strip mall out by the new PRISON they built on the edge of town. My childhood sweetheart looked like a toad... It was all vaguely familiar but utterly grotesque.

It is said that........You can can never go back.

This was one of the best online games I ever played... Back when the game was balanced and flush with new players eager to learn and compete. Back before Inno sold out to their investors and started to monetize the life out of the game with one gold grabbing mod after the other. Cashing in on a really great game until one by one the great players all got disgusted and disappeared. I have Grepolis skype rooms with hundreds of contacts... Maybe one or two are still playing.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this feel. The premium features are to ensure that the game remains operating as the game costs money to maintain. Hopefully good players will come back into the game as I'm sure this world will be a lot of fun. I see a lot of great competitors despite the low overall numbers.

DeletedUser

I've played this game almost from it's inception and gold was a part of it when I began back in Alpha-EN. I played for about a week before I realized in order for ME to get the full enjoyment of the game I would need to purchase some gold and I've been playing with gold ever since and no way would I play without it. Like Swamp said, this game is a business, not just put out here to pay the server bill, it's no different than any other business. So why your (or anyone else) is up set because of gold players is beyond me.

I've played with and against some of the best to ever play this game and almost every one of them were golders, very few did not use gold. Every single world and server always has those that cry about gold users as if those that don't use gold should be entitled, or that may be just because gold is available we should not use it. That's like saying if some one in your neighborhood drives a Lamborghini either you should be able to have one or he shouldn't be allowed his because you refuse to buy one or can't afford one.

Gold does not produce skill, so if that's what your implying I invite you to hit the join button and show us what you got. And btw, the main reason for only being 5000 at this point is the world speed mainly, if this was a speed 1 it would have lots more.

DeletedUser13955

Also not to mention baris still has so many alliances that still have a somewhat shot so not many will be jumping in and i also know Many are just waiting to not be in the core oceans

DeletedUser1111

You misunderstand... I have a long and deep association with this game and much sentimental affection. I wear a crown and occupy a spot in the Hall of Fame. I don't hate the game. Mostly I feel a great sadness for what was lost and pity for those of you who missed the old game.
Some history is in order...
Many years ago my squad went looking for a browser game that was not just a "business" as you state. We found Grepolis...
The founders, Eike and Hendrik Klindworth, two young German brothers were gamers and not businessmen. You could tell because the game had not been monetized yet. There were rate caps on critical resources that acted as de facto limits on spending. Of course you still needed to spend gold to be competitive (and support the company)... but the amount was reasonable and it was not purely pay-to-win.
I would spend thousands on a world... Half of it went to my teammates who had absolutely no money. A few hundred here and there let them play in the top 100 and truly experience the thrill and complexity of an competitive account. We all had a blast... It was the center of my social existence and truly worth my time and attention.
So what happened?
Well.... In 2010 Inno switched directions. A mobile game called Clash of Clans made hundreds of millions of dollars off the backs of its players (CoC made over one billion last year). Greed took over in the company board rooms. I call it "The Great Freemium Gold Rush" Inno got new investors... venture capital partners. What does a venture capitalist know about gaming you ask.... Nothing. But they understand monetization and profit. Soon the Grepolis devs were under enormous pressure to patch the game to make more profits. Not to keep the game running... But to boost the revenue and pay off the investors. Who knows... Maybe the German brothers decided it was time to become multimillionaires.

So slowly... inexorably, the game lost its spending caps. Now I must add a zero to what I once spent to remain competitive. Do any of you think this is just a coincidence? Gold trading... Gold events... Increased buff costs... Instant buy... All in the last few years.
The worlds got smaller and shorter and came out more often... to maximize the starting revenue
Look here... $2000 a game is reasonable but not $20000.
If you do not understand what I am relating, then you are either a new player or you don't pay attention.
Do any of you seriously believe that these changes were needed to keep this popular game open?

What followed was sad... my friends who loved the game were not dummies. They are top notch gamers... Stubborn, intelligent, analytical. They saw what was happening... And said goodbye. Three years ago I could field a hundred players... maybe two or three are left now.

This decay and decline is industry wide. The Freemium Gold Rush is playing out. The players have seen what has happened and stay away from overly monetized games like Grepolis. So sad. It would be fun to play the old Grepolis... I guess $2000 wasn't enough for Inno... So you will get NOTHING from me instead of $20000. We all lose... which is the endpoint of greed. A hard lesson.

DeletedUser11560

Newspaper coming soon, I may release it earlier than i expected.

DeletedUser1048

So slowly... inexorably, the game lost its spending caps. Now I must add a zero to what I once spent to remain competitive. Do any of you think this is just a coincidence? Gold trading... Gold events... Increased buff costs... Instant buy... All in the last few years.
The worlds got smaller and shorter and came out more often... to maximize the starting revenue
Look here... $2000 a game is reasonable but not $20000.
If you do not understand what I am relating, then you are either a new player or you don't pay attention.
Do any of you seriously believe that these changes were needed to keep this popular game open?

Gold trading is really bad now. The minimum offer of gold is 50 and the max resources you can give is like 2k. So now the feature is a tease, it looks like it was made for the big gold users. Like instant buy and everything else. It's sad to see the game on such a decline. If players like me weren't addicted this game would have even less people. These features have done nothing but scare everyone away. And they don't listen, now there is a starting booster that you can buy with gold when you first join a world. It's a miracle they ever listened about warfare packages, as they ignored everyone with just about every other premium feature lol

DeletedUser5973

It's really sad that someone can have a manti nuke before BP ends. I thought usually when worlds started, events did not appear until a few weeks into the world

DeletedUser2654

It,s really sad that someone can have a manti nuke before BP ends. I thought usually when worlds started, events did not appear until a few weeks into the world

That's true, but its not the same case for seasonal events.

DeletedUser5088

It's really sad that someone can have a manti nuke before BP ends. I thought usually when worlds started, events did not appear until a few weeks into the world

it's pretty crazy I gotta admit

DeletedUser1048

In my experience they open a new world almost every time they have a new event. Whether its here or on the EN. But yeah this halloween event is bad, it is way to easy to make the good spells.