[Discussion] Special Buildings

DeletedUser5524

How about a Gold mine that produces say 10-20 gold per day? This would help smaller players a lot and ones that can't afford gold. I gotta say the prices of gold are kinda ridiculous especially when it takes so much to insta complete things or so much for the events
Like the idea but might be too high on paper

DeletedUser1048

This is a great idea^ Or even a limit to, say, 3 gold mines per account. Also, gold could be untradable, to prevent abuse.

The untradeable gold part is a good idea for sure. A cap would also be necessary if there is no square root formula for this building.

DeletedUser4460

How about a Gold mine that produces say 10-20 gold per day? This would help smaller players a lot and ones that can't afford gold. I gotta say the prices of gold are kinda ridiculous especially when it takes so much to insta complete things or so much for the events
sounds lovely

Also, gold could be untradable, to prevent abuse.
that's a must
could be still a abused if the player only used some servers for mining and spent the gold on another

That may be fine if it's some square root formula like the divine statue. If not it would be way too much. Some dude with 10 cities would get 100 gold a day, enough for 2 weeks of an advisor lol
like favor calculation? (divine statue counts as +5 temple levels)
based on mine levels, e.g. for higher gold production level up Timber camp, Silver mine and Quarry?

I'd suggest a daily gold mining limit which can be reached with max resources production + goldmine in all cities
2 x number of goldmines x square root of (average Timber camp level + average Silver mine level + average Quarry level) / city number
result: max 22gold per day - 3 advisors (max 8K untradeable gold per year)
  • only count that server where the maximum gold production was reached (prevents abuse)
  • force building up a city > force activity (further restrictions could be necessary, for example gold mining would require help of gods - minimum 6 cities)
  • this would rather help beginners and smaller players and not give extra gold for bigger accounts or for multiple worlds

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16157

• this would rather help beginners and smaller players and not give extra gold for bigger accounts or for multiple worlds
Your formula seems maybe a bit more complicated than it needs to be (like, there's probably a simpler way to achieve the same thing), but I definitely agree that this would be good.

Also, to even get one special building takes some time and effort, especially on slower worlds. If someone is willing to put in the time to get three cities up to gold-mine level on a world, I say they deserve to be able to spend it on a different one if they wish. Personally I don't see this as abuse. Could even convince gold trainers to stick around and sim for a while as they build up to 3 cities, rather than the massive dropoff in activity levels we see across worlds when BP ends.

DeletedUser836

Im sorry, but allowing everyone to have gold produced on a daily basis would be a terrible mistake. The same thing applies in the real world with US dollars. If you give people more pay or give away money, prices go up. The more money everyone has, the less valuable it becomes. So... if you give players in Grepolis gold, the value of gold will fall and prices will increase to compensate.

DeletedUser1048

Im sorry, but allowing everyone to have gold produced on a daily basis would be a terrible mistake. The same thing applies in the real world with US dollars. If you give people more pay or give away money, prices go up. The more money everyone has, the less valuable it becomes. So... if you give players in Grepolis gold, the value of gold will fall and prices will increase to compensate.

Value of gold should have already fallen with gold trading. If you gold trade you never need to spend a dime on this game. This building would never give enough to stop big gold users from buying.

DeletedUser836

Value of gold should have already fallen with gold trading. If you gold trade you never need to spend a dime on this game. This building would never give enough to stop big gold users from buying.
The new players in the game who are getting killed due to lack of knowledge and/or not having an alliance aren't the ones doing the gold trading. There are actually very few gold traders compared to the number of players at the start of the world. While I agree the value should have fallen somewhat, gold trading takes quite a bit of time and effort to do. That is most likely why prices didn't go up. An effortless source of gold income for EVERYONE will cause inflation. 10 gold per day would result in a single advisor being available for a whole month with an additional one for 2 weeks. 20 per day would mean 3 advisors for a whole month. That would cut into the profit margins for Grepolis from the people who buy little and medium quantities of gold. Prices would most likely adjust to account for the extra income (to try and make people buy gold) which would have little to no effect on the people buying gold and trading for gold.

DeletedUser16157

Would players who actually buy gold waste a special building slot on something like this though? I can't speak for others, but I certainly wouldn't. I tend to think that the people who would build something like this are the ones who don't buy gold anyways.

DeletedUser836

They would if they could get the gold for free. 10 cities with it would be 3000-6000 (if it is 10-20 per day) every month. Definitely worth building if one doesnt want to spend money in-game any longer.

DeletedUser16157

They would if they could get the gold for free. 10 cities with it would be 3000-6000 (if it is 10-20 per day) every month. Definitely worth building if one doesnt want to spend money in-game any longer.
Woah, woah! We never suggested that haha. The cap with either be 3 gold mines total and/or use a square root type formula as temples do. I agree I don't see it really being something the developers release, but then again, it shouldn't really hurt their profits.

DeletedUser11525

I can't see Inno effectively giving players a steady source of free gold. They used to provide 3rd party surveys that would pay in gold, and they stopped those.

The amount of gold would need to be enough to make the building sufficient to justify using a special building slot, but not so much that it completely swamps the game with gold (as if it isn't already). Maybe scaled so that 1 gold mine would cover 1 advisor every 2 weeks, but it would take 3 or 4 mines to cover 2 advisors, 7 or 8 for 3 advisors, etc. The people that are already heavy gold users probably wouldn't care for a small amount like this, and it would give light gold users a little cushion for the advisors, and a few instant completes, or a few bonus rounds in the weekly events.

I think a rebalancing of the existing special buildings is more likely.

And as clarification, my vision for the luxury residence for heros was more in lines with the award that comes up in various events - additional coins every day, although this could also lower the number of coins needed to level up. Improving healing time, improved travel time, etc should also be considered.

DeletedUser16157

As a sidenote, we would need to come up with a different name for the heroes building, as there is already a temporary boost called luxury residence. Could just be something similar like heroic residence or whatnot.

DeletedUser4460

Your formula seems maybe a bit more complicated than it needs to be (like, there's probably a simpler way to achieve the same thing), but I definitely agree that this would be good.
The building description could be like this:
Gold is a rare treasure, only hard-working and experienced miners can extract gold with help of gods.
Build goldmines in every city, develop your town and praise all gods for highest production!
Required:
Senate 24
Timber Camp, Silver mine, Quarry 15
Temple 15
Cultural level 6
(WIKI could explain the formula like for Temple.)

max ~20 gold per day per player if all cities had goldmine and not 20 gold per goldmine.

for example a 10 city player
who has all the 6 gods but only minimum requirements could mine: 13.4 gold daily equal to 400 gold per month (max 2 advisors)
with only 5 goldmines could mine 50%: 200 gold per month
with maxed Timber camp, Silver mine and Quarry could mine: 657 gold per month (max 3 advisors on the price of using a Special Building slot in every city)

a 100 city player who is very developed and is above any reasonable trial period would have to work lot harder for the maximum gold production, because
building a goldmine and maximizing Timber Camp, Silver mine, Quarry in every city is a bigger task / sacrifice on that level

A requirement of praising all gods would mean they'd had to reach 6th cultural level and maintain 6 cities - about when gold trade dried up. To reach 6th cultural level and maintain 6 cities on any world requires real activity unlike gold-trade when players usually build 1 city only, therefore it would help the world growth.
This would be a possibility for those non-premium players to experience advisors for a longer trial period who don't have income yet but in 1-2 years could become potential premium users.

DeletedUser836

Okay... it wouldnt have that big of an impact then. I just don't see this as being something that will get implemented.

DeletedUser9037

Quite a few great ideas here!

Lyceum - that sounds like a good one to add.

War Council - sounds like a great choice over Tower, but I think the numbers need to be different, either 5/5% boost on attack power/battle experience or 10% boost on one or the other, but a good selection to pick over tower if someone wanted it.

Library - I like the resetting points for free, but should have stipulations on being able to build it, like senate must be level 25, and it takes quite a bit longer to build, days even. I am saying days because what it would do is something that would normally cost you CP, so no matter how long it takes to build, it is still worth it to get it, just for a brief moment.

Lighthouse - I like the 25% speed boost recommended for it.

Theater - either lower the time it takes to run, or make it longer and double the CP you get for it.

Statue - a bigger temple boost would be a nice upgrade for this one.

Gold Mine - Not real keen on this idea, because it gives free gold. I think if it is going to do that, there has to be stipulations to getting it, like resources must be put into the gold mine daily, meaning you have to check in daily to the game in order to get it, and kind of leaning more towards it being a once weekly collection instead of a daily collection, where if you miss a day, you lose it and have to start over.

Oracle/Thermal Baths - don't really see much that needs to be changed on them

Merchant Shop - maybe put a speed boost on the resources sent from that city to others, but otherwise I think it is fine.

I feel like i missed some, but I do not think we need to add anymore items that would increase population of the city. If there were to be more than one of these, then I feel you should only be able to pick one of them per city to use.

Some of the ideas put out there, why could they not be additions to what is currently in the game?

Aqueducts/Cellar/Diplomatic Center/Acropolis/etc. could be add ons to existing buildings, I think, with a bonus attached to them, and a limit on how many add ons you can put on per building would be your limitation.

DeletedUser5576

Just another idea for statue and/or a new wonder: Turn it into a "divine shrine" devoted to all the gods. This allows you to support a city with any mythical units, regardless of the god worshiped in the city.

Also, if you are looking to add a third wonder in the game, it can be worked into the city on the right of the market place.

DeletedUser16157

Just another idea for statue and/or a new wonder: Turn it into a "divine shrine" devoted to all the gods. This allows you to support a city with any mythical units, regardless of the god worshiped in the city.
I suggested this word for word a few posts above. So of course, I think it is a great idea! :D

This would be enough to make it a viable alternative for the tower in frontline cities, mainly on revolt. The only way I see the tower being useful on conquest worlds is if it were to no longer aid in the defense of a siege.