[Discussion] Event

DeletedUser4460

Please share your feedback / ideas about events here that you want to bring into Player Council's attention!

DeletedUser9037

I agree on spacing them out, way too many in a row. I don't and can't even go through the ones from a prior event before a new event starts half the time. The events used to be something that people looked forward to as a bonus part of the game, now it seems like people too lazy to actually build just say 'oh there will be an event in a couple weeks, I can load up on manti boosts then and that will get me through until the next event'. I would like to see WAY LESS events during the year, I think when we had them 3-4 times a year I spent more gold on them, now I don't have to spend as much on them since I never run out of manti boosts in my inventory!

Meg TheBeagle

Philosopher
I really like the events with a community goal such as the event in progress right now. It gives a little competition between alliances to win the "perk" such as enhanced attacks. I will gold or not depending on the prizes offered. As an example, I find it ridiculous to spend gold on a 3 manti boost but will spend if it means earning an exclusive hero.

Just my two cents

DeletedUser4460

I enjoyed grepolis way more before events became minigames, it is more and more like grepolis is the minigame and events are the real thing...
By the current average event duration (~14 days) and frequency (every month) the effect of events cover the whole year and often 2 sometimes 3 events overlap because of the inventory capacity. The event peaks create huge disbalance in the game that normally takes weeks to overcome, but usually there is another event by the time we regenerated.

In practice during events we convert / gamble our game currency to another game currency, get some free bonuses and forget how much we originally paid when we purchased gold in the first place.

We get a daily free gift and buy tokens from a shop that is open ~50% of our game time wrapped in a fairy tail. The real event feeling is gone, every day is special...

My idea is to differentiate events from shop.
  • Remove the temporary event currency (laurels, shards...) and base everything on gold. Let players decide what they want to do with their daily dose of event gold, purchase tokens, gamble it or put it in their piggy bank. Wheel and recipe events are less confusing but too long.
  • Let players trade tokens for gold.
  • Set the activity required on world / player level to participate in events. (This can be a continuation of gold trading, more players may stay longer on a world.)
  • Events should be global bonus effects or alliance competitions, without the possibility that temporary alliance changes affect the result.
  • Average max 10 days event duration and max 1 event per month.
  • Shops could be open every weekend and during events with various offers, special event offers, including war packages (limit the number of WP per month / renew offer on a higher price).

Overview of events:
2010 - 2
2011 - 4
2012 - 6
2013 - 4
2014 - 6
2015 - 7
2016 - 9
2017 - 11
2018 - 6 (until end of June)

This year so far: 83 days event / 180 days
Winter Grepolympia - 12 days
Spartan Assassins - 18 days
Valentine’s Day - 1 day
Mythical Hen - 16 days
Nature's Wheel of Time 2018 - 24 days
Grepolympia - The Greek Cup -12 days

Selectron

Citizen
I really like the events with a community goal such as the event in progress right now. It gives a little competition between alliances to win the "perk" such as enhanced attacks. I will gold or not depending on the prizes offered. As an example, I find it ridiculous to spend gold on a 3 manti boost but will spend if it means earning an exclusive hero.

Just my two cents
Well said. I will gold (or not) depending on the value of the prize or perk offered. I also like events with community goals.

To be fair, Grepolis exists to make a profit. So Inno is trying to find ways where players will spend the most money, while still claiming the events can be played without using gold.

Last edited:

DeletedUser11525

Just my two cents
I like the community events as well. My favorite was Persian Conquest which was completely alliance based.

But it's probably hard to monetize an event like that. Inno needs to make money. But lately, between the monthly events, and the frequent gold specials to feed the events, it feels more like they are only interested in making as much as they can without worrying about the impact on the balance of play.

DeletedUser4460

Summary of event (future) changes

as you sure experienced the events constantly change and improve:
- rebalancing of rewards
- event shop removed / optional
- less pay to win advantage
- higher activity required and rewarded
- end goals of events became reachable without gold
- Mobile App availability for some events
- own units are no longer required for events

Developers shared with us their vision about future changes:

• Instead of changing the frequency of the events the power of rewards will be reduced slowly.
  • It would take long time until all events could be fully-playable on app and the current focus is on other improvements.
  • Divine Senses will no longer be part of the event rewards - it will continue to exist as a special reward though. Heightened Senses will be still available but more limited than before.
  • It's under consideration whether rewards should not be affected by progression especially myths for fair competition (currently an old / big player gets more units than a new / small player for same boost - it would be same population).

The last Pandora's Box and the current Sparta vs Hades events already reflect some of these efforts of following community requests.
Please share your feedback about the goals and changes so far regarding events in general!

This is a quote from a guy about the current Halloween event and what he's killed myth wise from a single alliance.
c590de42f43699e538fec755d4f8d571.png

Swissarian

Messenger
I hope the frequency of events stays high. Playing in a speed 1 world, where everything takes FOREVER to build, the events help a ton. Plus they're fun and something more to do when things are dull