dead world

When you get the only sistered up ally trying to pact top two Alliances is how these worlds stay dead!!.. Like all pacted up who are warlords going to fight? Its the mentality of this and of leaders picking only the cream of the crop that ensures that teams will up and ghost as why bother..
Its down to the maturity of the leaders to ask if napping the world will give them a game or a walk in the park. Many of us play to fight and have fun after all thats what the games about, Winning of course is always great too.. but pacting the server lol.. Not sure why they think thats a great idea.
It will be a right shame to kill this server like the last..

Lord Corny

Artisan
your right on princess K . hell with less then 400 players way does anyone need a pact with anyone i can see maybe a temp nap and then only a temp nap but a damn pact come on guys this is a war game after all .

Joys of great leadership, I play also in a world where pacts were begged for and the leaders of the ally I am in declined them all for one reason, "Why kill the server?"... this they knew would give them, "no one to fight", therefore boring.. Hence "maturity of leadership", any leader with any experience would know this.. thats where I am going with this...

DeletedUser16479

So youre saying I shouldnt join to gold.... Got it.. Ill wait for another revolt server to open. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
how about server 101 when kiddie kill the server by taking all the top players from VENDETTA

The loser’s lament of every world since the dawn of Grepolis. Sometimes there’s some truth to it, other times not so much…

In this case, nothing killed US-101 Carystus because the world was already dead as soon as it dropped. But if there were things that DID kill Carystus, surely at the top of the list would be VENDETTA folding within 24 hours of the first operation Kiddie Pool ran on them, lol. Can’t have a competitive world when everyone abandons ship the first time they’re punched in the mouth!

Apparently you guys are trying a different tactic this time? Hugging it out with everybody but the top alliance, and then whining in the external forums about pacts? Interesting. Good luck with that!

DeletedUser16471

And the winner of every world laments that the enemy had X problem and therefore couldn't put up a good fight.

In reality the winners in 90% of these dead/non competitive servers are decided in the recruiting phase. There is a large imbalance of dedicated, skilled, and experienced players between the teams and when people begin to realize that cracks begin to form within the weaker team. When or whether the 'losers' decide to give up has absolutely no impact on which group wins and only changes how long the fighting goes on. People might argue that it is more fun that way, but 'competitive' definitely isn't the word I would use.

And the winner of every world laments that the enemy had X problem and therefore couldn't put up a good fight.

Really? You think the winners are lamenting? Not so sure about that… I think you’re missing the not-so-subtle overtones in these post mortem exchanges.

The rest of your post is equally difficult to square. Did you even play US 101? Not sure where you’re going with your post. To the extent you’re suggesting that Kiddie Pool was superior to VENDETTA independent of the four players that defected after the Op, I agree. (Not to diminish those four players’ value, as all four are solid contributors.) That fact was plainly borne out by the results of the single day of fighting that put the kaibosh on V once and for all.

Generalizing “these dead/non competitive worlds” and how they resolve is not something I agree with. For instance, Meg the Poodle, BigJ “mr superior” Richmond, and the rest of their gang who just won US-99 will swear (at the risk of paraphrasing) that my team recruited itself to a loss, and that their method of coming in with a pre-made group is the winning strategy.

I’d say every world is different. No doubt there’s a pronounced, unhealthy trend of players abandoning worlds earlier and the “winners” simming out the string longer. But the reasons cannot be reduced to a winners’ formula of recruiting “the most dedicated, skilled, and experienced players.” While today’s worlds certainly seem to lack the nuances and depth of yesteryear, I’d say winning is still a bit more complicated than recruiting the “best” players.

I will concede, however, that when worlds are super-small like they are becoming on US servers, a genuine talent gap between alliances is probably very difficult to overcome. But what is “talent” in Grepolis? I’m not so sure that it’s easy to define.

DeletedUser16471

Really? You think the winners are lamenting? Not so sure about that…

Perhaps ‘lamenting’ was a generalization on my part. If the winners in US 101 and other worlds are satisfied winning worlds that are non competitive after the first OP then power to them.

I didn’t play US 101 so I don’t know whether it fits into my narrative (maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t), however you didn’t mention anything about 101 that contradicts me. Maybe I didn’t make this clear enough, but my point isn’t that you recruit good players and then the tooth fairy magically puts the win under your pillow. My point is that once people realize a large difference in ability between the groups (through playing the game) they often lose motivation and other problems begin to occur (which sounds almost exactly like what you said happened after the first OP).

As for "But the reasons cannot be reduced to a winners’ formula of recruiting “the most dedicated, skilled, and experienced players.”", this is close, but not really my point. My point is that having a large imbalance of the “the most dedicated, skilled, and experienced” players is what does it. And I’m not trying to say it is the only reason, but a large one and that many other reasons are downstream from it (lack of motivation for example).

What I’m trying to say is that it seems odd to blame the losers in 101 for the world being non competitive when everyone knows that the group that has the ability to recruit ‘the four players that defected after the Op’ is almost always the one that holds most of the cards.

Also I’m nitpicking, but I specifically avoided the use of the word talent in my original post because obviously the word itself is hard to define with regards to Grep. I think there are a variety of factors that can contribute to someone being a ‘talented’ Grep player including: dedication, skill, and experience (which is why I used those words).

Meg TheBeagle

Philosopher
Generalizing “these dead/non competitive worlds” and how they resolve is not something I agree with. For instance, Meg the Poodle, BigJ “mr superior” Richmond, and the rest of their gang who just won US-99 will swear (at the risk of paraphrasing) that my team recruited itself to a loss, and that their method of coming in with a pre-made group is the winning strategy.

We came into the world NOT as #1. We had several alliances against us. We were not a huge pre-made but have a solid core of players and leaders that just play the game without drama. Maybe it's the lack of drama that draws players to us and they stay.

Doesn't seem to be the case for all leadership in 99

I won't apologize for the win on 99 because, well, we dominated through planning and teamwork. I have to say, though, that it got real boring when you all VMed or ghosted. Guess you took your ball and just went home mad.

Brajanz0r

Artisan
Honestly I wouldn't blame any players/leaders because of this. Yes it was dead before it even started because we are not providing a massive feedback Inno obviously expects. 10-20 people fighting on one side is not nearly enough as it is, and I really tried to get people to register and post here. Can't force them though.

All I know is that we gave our best as players and leaders to make this world right but we failed as a community.

Almost none of you are aware of this, but while we were trying to get better speed and settings for this world, leaders from Total Domination, Vendetta and former Golden Horde made an internal arrangement.
Meg and I accepted many unknown players and rookies while having a decent core group lined up, while Vendetta and TD were recruiting the ones that wanted to play and were in their closest vicinity, no matter how skilled they are. This is where we as GH promised that we won't bring any more good players and we'll recruit rookies only. No sister alliances, no academies, no poaching, no transfers. Some players wanted to mingle and jump in and out of alliances but we didn't allow it.
The idea was to have 3 decent teams that would have an equal chance to compete. We were basically playing Big brothers. Then OMERTA popped up as a 4th contestant and we couldn't be happier.

However, lack of Inno's interest in changing/bending some rules about speed and morale drove many players away. That was the only active world where you can compete at the point so people expected something better. Unfortunately it didn't happen so players folded, waiting for a better setting. We all folded as well eventually, some of you stayed because, let's face it, there's no other world to play.

This world is a collateral damage of US101. Perfect CQ settings, fast world and no one showed up? Wake up Inno, start listening to your community, mingle a bit, send your admins/mods incognito to see the real picture. Here's an idea - work on in-game polls. You'll get the best quality feedback.

Also - advertise. No one even knows about servers being open, sending emails is obviously not enough. Keep US worlds alive because you have a great community here, it's currently small (shrinking with time) but still valuable. Don't go against us, try to work with us more so we can make a better experience for new players.

Have to agree with you there Brajanzor, you did post and did appeal to Inno to alter settings etc and they paid you no mind..

With such small worlds maybe inno should decrease the alliance caps and then take away pacts/naps to make it even more competitive, that would be interesting then .

When you have 120 active players in a world and 50 of them are "elite", (or close to it), 50 are learners or not actually so dedicated or invested in playing and then another 60 trying to win against a elite team its impossibly boring. Sure its good to have a great fight and in Carys we had a few good ones, but its also tiresome. You can only beat a mixed team of experienced and in experienced for so long as we all know, so kill the server Kiddies did.. That of course was their option and so be it, I have no hard feelings about it, even if some do, (why you would when your the victors of albeit a boring world, I dont know, especially when you contributed to making it like that).. but surely you didnt expect Omerta to stay put so we could be your punching bag while your members sent gloating messages.. lol. Of course we wouldnt. We left yous to win as you surely would, without having fun at our expense.

"Apparently you guys are trying a different tactic this time? Hugging it out with everybody but the top alliance, and then whining in the external forums about pacts? Interesting. Good luck with that! "
Not quite sure where or what story you have heard, but what ever floats your boat I suppose Mega..

"Keep US worlds alive because you have a great community here, it's currently small (shrinking with time) but still valuable"
Best sentence in this whole thread.. Coming from playing mainly En Servers since I started this game, I honestly do think the us community is a "great community".. Lets hope Inno start taking note or they ultimately will lose out on the gold that these servers produce for their fine pockets.

DeletedUser4951

I definitely respect the small community aspect of US. It (and nostalgia) is what keeps me checking US forums despite not playing US anymore. But I think one thing people miss is that US has always comparatively been dead. I remember playing in Gythium and myself, as well as many other EN players, quitting because being top 10 meant that you were eating 70% morale hits just by attacking top 100 players in the early mid game. Which was, and still is, a completely foreign concept to most large map players. Bear in mind that this was in 2014 which was the US’ prime more or less. That said, a lot of the community itself, especially on the conquest side of things, was incredibly toxic on US. You had AD telling people to kill themselves and claiming it was a joke, you had Jeremy telling people to kill themselves and ghosting other people's accounts, cheating has always been a problem here. That doesn't exactly make people want to play. Especially when there's a older, larger, more active, and generally less toxic community that also speaks the same language.

The other issue that I’ve noticed is that there isn’t a ton of competition. Even in fuller worlds there’s generally been one dominant team and then the rest. Other teams tend to break down quickly when pressured. There’s exceptions of course. But generally speaking once a group goes up by a respectable amount the other group tends to fold and move to the next world. There's only been a few exceptions to that rule as well. Mainly the world Actium. Diplomacy really isn't necessary to win these worlds. Compare this to large maps where you could be kicking everybody's teeth in but still lose the world.

Management has also been a major issue. Crimsonblue was probably the best Coma between US/EN getting the first speed 4 servers on English speaking servers. When he retired Medic couldn't figure out how to promote US GPC to the actual GPC so she just claimed nobody won. The new Coma seems pretty hands off, though in their defense, they inherited a largely dead server so it can't take much time to manage.

Bradonthedestroyer

Philosopher
I definitely respect the small community aspect of US. It (and nostalgia) is what keeps me checking US forums despite not playing US anymore. But I think one thing people miss is that US has always comparatively been dead. I remember playing in Gythium and myself, as well as many other EN players, quitting because being top 10 meant that you were eating 70% morale hits just by attacking top 100 players in the early mid game. Which was, and still is, a completely foreign concept to most large map players. Bear in mind that this was in 2014 which was the US’ prime more or less. That said, a lot of the community itself, especially on the conquest side of things, was incredibly toxic on US. You had AD telling people to kill themselves and claiming it was a joke, you had Jeremy telling people to kill themselves and ghosting other people's accounts, cheating has always been a problem here. That doesn't exactly make people want to play. Especially when there's a older, larger, more active, and generally less toxic community that also speaks the same language.

The other issue that I’ve noticed is that there isn’t a ton of competition. Even in fuller worlds there’s generally been one dominant team and then the rest. Other teams tend to break down quickly when pressured. There’s exceptions of course. But generally speaking once a group goes up by a respectable amount the other group tends to fold and move to the next world. There's only been a few exceptions to that rule as well. Mainly the world Actium. Diplomacy really isn't necessary to win these worlds. Compare this to large maps where you could be kicking everybody's teeth in but still lose the world.

Management has also been a major issue. Crimsonblue was probably the best Coma between US/EN getting the first speed 4 servers on English speaking servers. When he retired Medic couldn't figure out how to promote US GPC to the actual GPC so she just claimed nobody won. The new Coma seems pretty hands off, though in their defense, they inherited a largely dead server so it can't take much time to manage.
Go Back to the EN forums :p