Creating Gold Free Worlds

That's never going to happen unless they're also pay to play... but a 10k gold buy-in with no gold in the world could be a lot of fun... I'd also like to see a world where all bots are legal... since a number of folks use them all the time and then most of us don't... a level playing field would be kind of awesome

Ichigoshollow

Newcomer
Never say never. Those servers would have way more people playing in them versus their pay to win servers.

No amount of limit usage on gold would ever make a world fun. They should create worlds where gold is used and worlds where gold isn't allowed. They can make it a 3 to 1 ratio if need be.

The only bot I could see that would be beneficial is for farms on your island.

NateAwesome

Citizen
I don't even think a buy-in world would cover the costs to make it beneficial. New world resource purchasing and events are what drive the money. Maybe a $50 (or more) buy-in depending on the demand.

At this point, they should make farming villages a multiplier or additive on your resource collection. Lots of people have scripts that do it automatically. The trouble with that is how do you reconcile the troop demand action?

Same with advisors, I would just add the bonuses people get from them to the base. Although that is also another revenue (even if small).

NateAwesome

Citizen
I don't even think a buy-in world would cover the costs to make it beneficial. New world resource purchasing and events are what drive the money. Maybe a $50 (or more) buy-in depending on the demand.

At this point, they should make farming villages a multiplier or additive on your resource collection. Lots of people have scripts that do it automatically. The trouble with that is how do you reconcile the troop demand action?

Same with advisors, I would just add the bonuses people get from them to the base. Although that is also another revenue (even if small).
And also, Grepolis is probably one of the last things on Inno's mind considering their other apps make more money, no reason to spend time on research and development to change it.

Bawla

Citizen

First things first, bring active mods who really have knowledge on the game (e.g., timing).

cjh92101

Senior Citizen
I think what everyone wants to see is some type of competitive rebalancing. I dont think that gold is THE problem as so many are quick to blame, but it definitely isnt helping. I agree that activity negates gold, but only for so long; if a cs is sniped and the player golds another and another every ten minutes and the 7th cs lands, then whats the point? The most active players without gold will run out of troops before the heavy golder. Inno has bills to pay, so gold isnt going away, but there could be a better way.

A buy in world is interesting but everyone golds in their own way, so are we saying it costs $50 to play the world and everyone gets 50,000 gold and thats all they get? Or $50 to play and you get all the advisors the entire world and set packages and everyone is on the same level?
Maybe have a vegas style no limit world for those that want to play that way? There should be a table for the nickel slots players and the no limit peeps.

Maybe we could have a limit or a cool down period on gold. After buying one recruitment of the que, you have to wait an hour to gold the next; or treat it like the events, where it doubles every time you instant finish, but then reset the next day. Not a cap, but perhaps a regulator.

As for the mods, maybe just put out some basic FAQs. Whats the difference between spamming and gold locking? I know there's Youtube videos that show that yes you can land all attacks and supports within 1 sec of the cs, so yes it can happen and how but what are the other issues and how can you get everyone on the same page

Shock

Philosopher
I think what everyone wants to see is some type of competitive rebalancing. I dont think that gold is THE problem as so many are quick to blame, but it definitely isnt helping. I agree that activity negates gold, but only for so long; if a cs is sniped and the player golds another and another every ten minutes and the 7th cs lands, then whats the point? The most active players without gold will run out of troops before the heavy golder. Inno has bills to pay, so gold isnt going away, but there could be a better way.

A buy in world is interesting but everyone golds in their own way, so are we saying it costs $50 to play the world and everyone gets 50,000 gold and thats all they get? Or $50 to play and you get all the advisors the entire world and set packages and everyone is on the same level?
Maybe have a vegas style no limit world for those that want to play that way? There should be a table for the nickel slots players and the no limit peeps.

Maybe we could have a limit or a cool down period on gold. After buying one recruitment of the que, you have to wait an hour to gold the next; or treat it like the events, where it doubles every time you instant finish, but then reset the next day. Not a cap, but perhaps a regulator.

As for the mods, maybe just put out some basic FAQs. Whats the difference between spamming and gold locking? I know there's Youtube videos that show that yes you can land all attacks and supports within 1 sec of the cs, so yes it can happen and how but what are the other issues and how can you get everyone on the same page
If you're good enough it doesn't really matter how much is spent against you with the exception of endless stone hail being thrown your way

cjh92101

Senior Citizen
If you're good enough it doesn't really matter how much is spent against you with the exception of endless stone hail being thrown your way
not disagreeing but us mediocre players wouldnt mind having just a tad more balance.

I sniped 6 cs from the same city in two hours. I ran out of favor, I ran out of res then I ran out of birs. He golded a 7th cs and a ton of ls. Not sure how much better I need to get

Shock

Philosopher
not disagreeing but us mediocre players wouldnt mind having just a tad more balance.

I sniped 6 cs from the same city in two hours. I ran out of favor, I ran out of res then I ran out of birs. He golded a 7th cs and a ton of ls. Not sure how much better I need to get
I should’ve chosen my words a little more carefully …. With 1-2 cities there’s only so much you can do —sure — but on speed 3+ it’s definitely possible to have 4+ cities coming out of BP without spending much gold (just run a few OGs for slots and you’re golden - they’re cheap af, might cost you a couple hundred gold)
If you play CQ you can both front and backsnipe so obviously that gives you more opportunity to utilize all of your troops, not just some
If you play revolt, idk (I’m not a revolt player) but I’d probably go full defense the first few cities if I didn’t have a decent alliance to help me out

Ryvirath

Lochagos
Just wanted to pop in and say love the discussion around this topic :)
While I can't promise any actionables coming out of it, I'll certainly pass this along to our team to review. Feedback and discussions like this are super helpful when discussing new initiatives and features we want to develop.

cjh92101

Senior Citizen
I should’ve chosen my words a little more carefully …. With 1-2 cities there’s only so much you can do —sure — but on speed 3+ it’s definitely possible to have 4+ cities coming out of BP without spending much gold (just run a few OGs for slots and you’re golden - they’re cheap af, might cost you a couple hundred gold)
If you play CQ you can both front and backsnipe so obviously that gives you more opportunity to utilize all of your troops, not just some
If you play revolt, idk (I’m not a revolt player) but I’d probably go full defense the first few cities if I didn’t have a decent alliance to help me out
Shock, no need to choose your words different, I knew what you were saying and I agree, the expectation leaving bp should be 3-4 cities, but some have a 10k city on day one, three on day two and are leaving bp with 10 cities. Sniping isn’t the problem, activity isn’t the problem, running out of resources and troops going against someone who will use an unlimited amount of gold makes the game…. Not sure the right word here, not unfair, not unbearable, but just makes the game suck.

Respectfully, I’m not sure you understand where I’m coming from. I don’t think you understand how much gold is being thrown around. Just because they don’t attack you that way, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. The example I gave was a speed 4 revolt world I had about 10 cities, he had about 30 at the time. But don’t take that as a lone example, and I don’t want everyone to think I’m trying to abolish gold, just asking for a level playing field.

Second example would be that I was hit in a speed 6 conquest with 3000 slingers twice a day for about a week. Dodge every time, lost no res or favor, but eventually enough being enough I got the wall up to 25 (yes a cq no-no) and stacked it with swords, slingers dead, problem solved. 30 min later 4000 slingers. 30 min later another 4000 slingers. So I attack back and land every 5 min to lock him out of golding the slingers and I get accused of spam. I could say look at that great bp I’m getting, and look at this sucker getting horrible bp ratio slamming into the wall, but when you start a world with 10 double bp tokens and can get another 10 double bp tokens any time you want just by swiping the credit card, there is no strategy to defeat obscene amounts of gold. You can dodge. You can hit back but that’s just feeding bp on a never ending double.

When you have a conquest and no matter how many dlu you stack, the red on the island can throw 15000 slingers at it from ONE city, then the next time you have to gold lock the player for 12 hours? It gets obsurd real quick when it’s the haves and the have nots. Yes defense builds faster, yes defense travels faster, but gold builds fastest. Alliances can help, but you shouldn’t need 30 against one and when the one still wins, gold is the reason, not skill.

I know people like to complain about gold, but there are real examples. Someone golds a 2nd CS and you missed it, then yeah, you suck; golds 7, not so sucky. 10 cities out of bp when most have 2 or 3? 8000 slingers from the same city in under an hour? Its too much.

So how about this: There's been talk for years about a draft world, I’d propose to Inno this; take the top 150 or 200 revenue generating players from all servers and make that the draft pool. 25 player alliances 1-6 or 8 are the captains and they draft from there. Everyone starts 50% from the center of the world and its King of the Hill style and you have to hold the one center island for 7 days

Better yet, how about a royal rumble no holds barred cage match. Find out who the best really is. Hundred bucks to play, everyone starts with 50k gold. Throw those 200 into a world, no (official) alliances-everyone for themselves. You get rimmed, you ghost, or you win. Only one wins. Go Highlander style and if you rim someone you get their gold. Sure you can team up with others, but eventually there can be only one. 3 starting cities so it isn’t lose one & done.

If players want to spend gold, by all means, its your money. I’ll use my fair share as well, But there are only 10-12 worlds a year on US servers, most aren't competitive after a month or two, and there will never be a “gold free” world (and this isn’t the first thread asking for it), so make an all in world, go full Vegas. Distract the golders for a bit so the rest of us can enjoy the game again at least for a little while. Hell most of us would love to watch that play out and would have our own pools & side bets & cheering sections just to watch that golder who taunted us get beat on the way we did.

Either way, I keep playing, but I understand why not everyone else does.

Shock

Philosopher
I don't know why you'd just assume that I don't know how much gold is used tbh -- last world I played, 10 days into the world (sp5 CQ, en146), our enemies had (after rank 3 player lost a city to us - cause it's the only early screenshot I could find to use):
Rank 1 player - 266k points, 27 cities
Rank 2 player - 161k points, 18 cities
Rank 3 player - 140k points, 15 cities

This is 3 days out of BP .... for reference, there was only 1 other player above 100k points at the time (also on their team)... so yeah, I think I know how much gold people spend out there

Did it actually matter in the end? No -- partially cause the rank 3 guy got permabanned that day for being one of the dumbest grep players of all time with the messages he chose to send, but after about 1 month we'd made the rank 1 and 2 players essentially permaVM (think they came back when we'd killed the rest of the world but didn't try then or anything)

Gold is great -- gets you a nice headstart, but in the end if you're good enough skill will win. Our alliance was majority f2p or spent under like $160 (2 $80 packages isn't really that much for a world tbh) and we beat these people that spent so so so much more than us.

Like I get it if you don't want to gold lock all day, but considering it's also by far the best way to counter anyone golding things, you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to win. Take shifts with your alliance if you have to, but if you aren't going to gold lock then of course they'll gold slingers into you for free BP.

And if they complain about gold lock being spam, I've seen people make tickets before they gold lock explaining why they're doing it (i.e. someone golding slingers at a siege, just explain the situation in a ticket and then ask them to let you know if the mods have any questions or concerns or anything) and after doing that I've not seen someone get banned, personally

One last note: 8k slingers in an hour is literally just 2 nukes if you have a city build that's pretty demolished you can easily fit 4k slingers in ...

Last edited:
I don't know why you'd just assume that I don't know how much gold is used tbh -- last world I played, 10 days into the world (sp5 CQ, en146), our enemies had (after rank 3 player lost a city to us - cause it's the only early screenshot I could find to use):
Rank 1 player - 266k points, 27 cities
Rank 2 player - 161k points, 18 cities
Rank 3 player - 140k points, 15 cities

This is 3 days out of BP .... for reference, there was only 1 other player above 100k points at the time (also on their team)... so yeah, I think I know how much gold people spend out there

Did it actually matter in the end? No -- partially cause the rank 3 guy got permabanned that day for being one of the dumbest grep players of all time with the messages he chose to send, but after about 1 month we'd made the rank 1 and 2 players essentially permaVM (think they came back when we'd killed the rest of the world but didn't try then or anything)

Gold is great -- gets you a nice headstart, but in the end if you're good enough skill will win. Our alliance was majority f2p or spent under like $160 (2 $80 packages isn't really that much for a world tbh) and we beat these people that spent so so so much more than us.

Like I get it if you don't want to gold lock all day, but considering it's also by far the best way to counter anyone golding things, you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to win. Take shifts with your alliance if you have to, but if you aren't going to gold lock then of course they'll gold slingers into you for free BP.

And if they complain about gold lock being spam, I've seen people make tickets before they gold lock explaining why they're doing it (i.e. someone golding slingers at a siege, just explain the situation in a ticket and then ask them to let you know if the mods have any questions or concerns or anything) and after doing that I've not seen someone get banned, personally

One last note: 8k slingers in an hour is literally just 2 nukes if you have a city build that's pretty demolished you can easily fit 4k slingers in ...
I think it's all relative Shock... I've not come close to spending $160 in all of my worlds combined... at least partially because I don't want to spend $10k on a divorce attorney... $160 in a world would give me a massive advantage, not over somebody like you, but over my own personal skill level... the difference gold make is not person vs. a different person, but you vs. yourself.

Murser

Newcomer
There should be a community pole. 2 f2p (free to play) world a year 1 revolt 1 conquest. speed 3 no night bonus domination or WW 40-60 alliance cap. throw a couple p-mods on there if you're worried about botting. allow administrators that's it for gold buying. maybe just maybe if the community agreed they could do a package for a few bucks that has a couple BP boosters or something to cover server cost. nothing that allows building speed or troops tokens or resources speed increase. If grepolis is smart they would listen to the community this would benefit us and them. Honestly its a great marketing scheme. Would bring back lots of old players lets be real the retaining rate of playing that world continuing on to playing a new one would be at least 30-40%. may even see a 3-5k player world again. Honestly if they invested a little bit in the streaming/YouTube community this game wouldn't feel like its dying out hell give them 10-15% off code for gold purchase to give to viewer..... that retaining rate would then bring players to the new world who would then be gaolable to buy the golds. not rocket science just listen to the people

Shock

Philosopher
There should be a community pole. 2 f2p (free to play) world a year 1 revolt 1 conquest. speed 3 no night bonus domination or WW 40-60 alliance cap. throw a couple p-mods on there if you're worried about botting. allow administrators that's it for gold buying. maybe just maybe if the community agreed they could do a package for a few bucks that has a couple BP boosters or something to cover server cost. nothing that allows building speed or troops tokens or resources speed increase. If grepolis is smart they would listen to the community this would benefit us and them. Honestly its a great marketing scheme. Would bring back lots of old players lets be real the retaining rate of playing that world continuing on to playing a new one would be at least 30-40%. may even see a 3-5k player world again. Honestly if they invested a little bit in the streaming/YouTube community this game wouldn't feel like its dying out hell give them 10-15% off code for gold purchase to give to viewer..... that retaining rate would then bring players to the new world who would then be gaolable to buy the golds. not rocket science just listen to the people
why would you do speed 3, won't get any good players playing it lmao

Corwin36

Artisan
I think some folks miss the point of Grepolis, its a business for Inno, they would have to change to some kind of advertising scheme where you have to watch a ad instead of gold all the time to pay for it. Personally, I do not want to spend my life watching advertising , the same one OVER and OVER again. People that complain about golders miss the point that without them the game would be gone

patels2020

Messenger
I think some folks miss the point of Grepolis, its a business for Inno, they would have to change to some kind of advertising scheme where you have to watch a ad instead of gold all the time to pay for it. Personally, I do not want to spend my life watching advertising , the same one OVER and OVER again. People that complain about golders miss the point that without them the game would be gone
Coming from your position this makes sense, specfically in Chania. But for the rest of us we are trying to find enjoyment in the game that hooked us years ago. Hate seeing my teammates quit due to frustration from players who seems to have unlimited gold, or own a mattress company and have nothing better to do.
Business and profits can come from different avenues, they just need better marketing and decision planning. Would you rather make a profit for 3 years with 500 players or miss profits 2 years but have 1000 active players within 5 years.