Coalitions

Whitty

Citizen
This is a continuation of a conversation started in another thread, but I was asked to move it here, as it's more world appropriate.

Whitty

Citizen
Duck, That makes sense why you wouldn't know of early collation plans. Regardless, wheels were in motion and ultimate benefit was obtained from the joint efforts of Koopas, KOD, OB & Rational.

I'll give a little history here on our side of the story regarding coalitions:

In August 2015, we were asked to consider joining KOD, Koopas and Rational's new coalition to go after TBD, JG and possibly IA. This is when we were introduced to the "coalition concept" for Baris. We were also asked to consider joining this group in the wonder building phase. We really didn't want to go down that path and declined the offer, mostly because Rational took an action that broke our pact. And, there was concern of a 1/2 world merger attempt.

That was when our world view shifted. We were not interested in coalitions at that time; however, felt forced to join one to survive. It was not easy at all to make this transition or think about long-term committed alliance relationships - a foreign concept.

Ultimately, the partnership just worked out for us.

DeletedUser10354

It sounds like that came from rational. Knowing Oli I can assure you Koopas never entertained a coalition possibility.

When we were in wtf we were stuck in between koopas and kod nap'ed with both but no pacts. Eventually the coalition went after kod. Koopas told us to fight kod with them or they would break the nap basically cause our cities sat right in the middle of the two. Joining the coalition and gang tackling kod sounded boring so we went to war with Koopas. We eventually came to an agreement to join Koopas under the understanding that Koopas wouldn't be part of any big coalition. I'm glad we did as it was a lot of fun even though we fought the entire server grossly outnumbered.

Whitty

Citizen
So, it appears one side joined because the other side said they were forming one and the other joined for similar reasons.

However, once sides did form, out of necessity, it was 3 big alliances (KOD, Koopas, Rats) against 3 big alliances (TBA, JG & IA). Random mergers and such occurred during this time as well. So, there was a time when we had some tough wars, on all fronts. Rats just fell apart first and there was a trickle effect.

And, realistically, TBA, JG & IA really didn't fight together until after world wonders. We just weren't really organized for a long time.

For me, this is the funniest of all worlds, due to the diversity of the teams and our partnerships.

DeletedUser10354

It sounds like that came from rational. Knowing Oli I can assure you Koopas never entertained a coalition possibility.

When we were in wtf we were stuck in between koopas and kod nap'ed with both but no pacts. Eventually the coalition went after kod. Koopas told us to fight kod with them or they would break the nap. Joining the coalition and gang tackling kod sounded boring so we went to war with Koopas. We eventually came to an agreement to join Koopas under the understanding that Koopas wouldn't be part of any big coalition. I'm glad we did as it was a lot of fun even though we fought the entire server grossly outnumbered.
So, it appears one side joined because the other side said they were forming one and the other joined for similar reasons.

However, once sides did form, out of necessity, it was 3 big alliances (KOD, Koopas, Rats) against 3 big alliances (TBA, JG & IA). Random mergers and such occurred during this time as well. So, there was a time when we had some tough wars, on all fronts. Rats just fell apart first and there was a trickle effect.

And, realistically, TBA, JG & IA really didn't fight together until after world wonders. We just weren't really organized for a long time.

For me, this is the funniest of all worlds, due to the diversity of the teams and our partnerships.

Not really sure why you continue to assert a coalition of enemies was formed to counter your coalition but that narrative is false. If it makes you feel more justified in pacting the world so be it. It's your right to believe in unicorns and the tooth fairy as well but belief doesn't constitute truth.

Whitty

Citizen
Not really sure why you continue to assert a coalition of enemies was formed to counter your coalition but that narrative is false. If it makes you feel more justified in pacting the world so be it. It's your right to believe in unicorns and the tooth fairy as well but belief doesn't constitute truth.

I'm telling you that was our understanding from the beginning, as we were asked to join "it" and the reason we felt a strong need to create our own. Around that same time, our conversations with JG & IA were focused on building wonders together, as we were told that may be the plan for RATS/KOD/Koopas.

I'm very clear you claim a different experience.

Regardless, yes it was a good move for us and I am really happy with the overall team. And, I'm even more happy we believed "the story". Thanks to the RATS crew for that one.

DeletedUser10354

I'm telling you that was our understanding from the beginning, as we were asked to join "it" and the reason we felt a strong need to create our own. Around that same time, our conversations with JG & IA were focused on building wonders together, as we were told that may be the plan for RATS/KOD/Koopas.

I'm very clear you claim a different experience.

Regardless, yes it was a good move for us and I am really happy with the overall team. And, I'm even more happy we believed "the story". Thanks to the RATS crew for that one.

Well sorry you were duped into starting a coalition. Thankfully I've never been put in that position. In one previous world my alliance voted to join a mega coalition like yours and it sounded terribly boring so I just ghosted. Our crew hated it and as soon as wonders were over they ghosted as well. Sucks a lot of the fun out of the game and means that alliance caps don't mean anything. Maybe one day Inno will fix it.

DeletedUser5973

Well sorry you were duped into starting a coalition. Thankfully I've never been put in that position. In one previous world my alliance voted to join a mega coalition like yours and it sounded terribly boring so I just ghosted. Our crew hated it and as soon as wonders were over they ghosted as well. Sucks a lot of the fun out of the game and means that alliance caps don't mean anything. Maybe one day Inno will fix it.
doing away with shared forums would be a good start

DeletedUser10354

doing away with shared forums would be a good start

ya many ways to accomplish it. Doing away with shared forums. No support to cities not in your own alliance. Only one alliance can crown in the same way as victor. Any of them would be a step in the right direction.

DeletedUser5973

couldn't really do away with the support. In revolt you sometimes send send support in cities you revolt to keep the enemy from taking it, inactives mainly. Conquest you have to send support to outside alliances

DeletedUser6798

Sorry.. i have to step in.. something about saying my name too many times while looking in a mirror..

Whitty.. I applaud the veracity with which you try to argue your point. Unfortunately, it couldnt be any further from the truth. I dont know what you were told or by whom, but it was either a ploy or just misinformation from some irrelevant player. Rational leaders for the most part were a joke. They werent the brightest players and certainly not the most trustworthy.

Suuuuuuuuuper brief summary of events..

TBD joins world... pacts with JG and NAP with APOC.. Koopas join 1 month later.. Pact with TBD and eventually NAP with Rational..

Once TBD starts beating up KOD... Koopas decide to break pact with TBD.. we then merge with WTF(ducks group) and pact with Rational. NO talks with KOD at all. If you want to say silent NAP fine.. but I never spoke with zimm until after wonders were built. No shared forums, no unified effort.

Then fast forward to wonders starting.. Koopas and Rational both agree to give wonders a shot separately.. (really bad diplo with really dense people here)..

When TBA was formed and JG didnt get a wonder thats when we figured coalition. Rat gave us their wonder when they finally came to their senses and we pacted with KOD. This wasnt until January/February 2016 at least.. Then when players fell is about when you finally saw the group become one and share wonders for victor.

Please also note that this doesnt even count the TBA/JG combination with IA or smaller alliances like GDI.

And also note.. that outside of players like Mazda who got so absurdly hurt over the split between Koopas and TBD.. the player in Baris I stand the least is zimm. The Koopa/KOD relationship was to prevent the world from going stale.. We never saw eye to eye and we never did anything for the benefit of the other.. heck at times I would of gladly handed over our wonders to TBA to spite zimm.. but that wasnt my call to make alone. So to say we were teaming up against you guys is absurd. We had a common enemy.. but it was never like the TBD/Apoc/JG love fest that was going on well before wonders even started.

Whitty

Citizen
Sorry.. i have to step in.. something about saying my name too many times while looking in a mirror..

Whitty.. I applaud the veracity with which you try to argue your point. Unfortunately, it couldnt be any further from the truth. I dont know what you were told or by whom, but it was either a ploy or just misinformation from some irrelevant player. Rational leaders for the most part were a joke. They werent the brightest players and certainly not the most trustworthy.

Suuuuuuuuuper brief summary of events..

TBD joins world... pacts with JG and NAP with APOC.. Koopas join 1 month later.. Pact with TBD and eventually NAP with Rational..

Once TBD starts beating up KOD... Koopas decide to break pact with TBD.. we then merge with WTF(ducks group) and pact with Rational. NO talks with KOD at all. If you want to say silent NAP fine.. but I never spoke with zimm until after wonders were built. No shared forums, no unified effort.

Then fast forward to wonders starting.. Koopas and Rational both agree to give wonders a shot separately.. (really bad diplo with really dense people here)..

When TBA was formed and JG didnt get a wonder thats when we figured coalition. Rat gave us their wonder when they finally came to their senses and we pacted with KOD. This wasnt until January/February 2016 at least.. Then when players fell is about when you finally saw the group become one and share wonders for victor.

Please also note that this doesnt even count the TBA/JG combination with IA or smaller alliances like GDI.

And also note.. that outside of players like Mazda who got so absurdly hurt over the split between Koopas and TBD.. the player in Baris I stand the least is zimm. The Koopa/KOD relationship was to prevent the world from going stale.. We never saw eye to eye and we never did anything for the benefit of the other.. heck at times I would of gladly handed over our wonders to TBA to spite zimm.. but that wasnt my call to make alone. So to say we were teaming up against you guys is absurd. We had a common enemy.. but it was never like the TBD/Apoc/JG love fest that was going on well before wonders even started.

I appreciate you sharing your story Oli.

Yes, it was three Rat leaders who told me "the plans", so it could have likely be their dream, but not the reality at the time. They were afraid of TBD moving into their neighborhood and were desperate to share wonders.

All we saw was the "fulfilled dream" of sharing wonders between three alliances, possibly four with OB; therefore, their story was validated for us in that sense. It's always interesting to find new information at the end of a world, lol.

And, yes, we have built a close friendship with our partner alliances. It wasn't easy divorcing some and marrying others, but we have made it work and genuinely enjoy spending our days together.

We are officially qualified to create our own tv show or movie now. Possible themes/titles:

G. Survivor
G. Flatliners
G. Ghost
Honey, I Shrunk the Alliance
Grepo McGuire (Show me the money!!!)
G. Inside Out
True Lies
The Spy Who Loved Me
Traitor (The Truth is Complicated)
The Grep Incredibles
G. Monster's Incorporated
Mr. & Mrs. Grepo

DeletedUser6798

Based on everything that has taken place in this world.. id prefer one of the following names:

As Grepolis Turns
The Coalition and the Restless
All My Alliances

DeletedUser

JG and IAs arrangements were set before the Wonder Age - they have confirmed it and it made sense especially for IA as it put 35 in a better position.
Was a bit strange to have one of the IA leaders come on here to lie and say KOD broke the NAP though :p
It is what it is now- seen this taken way too seriously by some and I'm sure we have all seen really bad moves made that killed reputations in other worlds which hasn't applied here.
Coalitions were all over EN and it killed worlds - I feel players who missed the times before that have really missed out.
EN Chi - what a world that was.

Whitty

Citizen
I have been in 5 worlds, along with several different game platforms and, in my experience, it is atypical to find alliances/large groups that can actually work together for long periods of time. Mix different leadership styles, personalities, egos, alternative goals, power struggles, differing methodologies, side deals, changes, betrayals, spies, alliance dissolutions, angry players, errors, bans, game changes, exhaustion/fatigue, real life issues, significant others hating the game, lol, etc. ====> Really tough to pull off a coalition! This is the first world where we have been able to actually get along and work together for a common cause. So, KUDOS to all of the partner leaders and players for making this work. It's been a pleasure to play this game with you all! Simply amazing if you really think about the challenges!

Last edited:

DeletedUser

5 Worlds mean you are an infant in my eyes ;) - only kidding.
What does it actually require though to have a successful coaltion, I would suggest;
A common goal
One alliance recognised as dominant so will get the rewards first - prevents any disputes
A shared def tab
A shared op tab
A lot of high fiving.
Trust - or no other option.
Curbing leaders egos so they can be respectful.

But compare this to my beloved Chi (we didn't win).
20 established alliances across 23 to 76
15 went for the Wonders on their own
The 4th biggest alliance won.
When an alliance fell it was a massive shock - too often now they have simply gone for an easier option and started a new world, back then an alliance fought to the very end. It was tough.

I played in one world where the alliance had the greatest talent in one group of 60 that I have ever seen - there are great players that weren't in there but in terms of of the set up, there wasn't a single weakness - many players were ranked 1 in previous worlds . However we came against Eviction Notices' Erik who basically set up a 1000 player coalition within 3 months. 60 V 1000 lol

Maybe I have played for too long and players new to the game who have only known coalitions think this is how it should be - I think you have missed out if coalitions are the norm.

DeletedUser5238

Murph!! Hiya Bro, This world is Goofy so very very goofy

DeletedUser12518

JG and IAs arrangements were set before the Wonder Age - they have confirmed it and it made sense especially for IA as it put 35 in a better position.
Was a bit strange to have one of the IA leaders come on here to lie and say KOD broke the NAP though :p
It is what it is now- seen this taken way too seriously by some and I'm sure we have all seen really bad moves made that killed reputations in other worlds which hasn't applied here.
Coalitions were all over EN and it killed worlds - I feel players who missed the times before that have really missed out.
EN Chi - what a world that was.
Funny how people forget... JG and IA never had any arrangement before WW. JG and IA were competing for a WW, how and why would we have any arrangement. It was directly after this. Unless you call a temp cease fire an arrangement... Not hardly...

And who lied? I dont take well to players calling me a liar...... It was KOD who broke the NAP by attacking one of our allies we had set at the first of this world and KoD knew this, yet instead of trying to help them with us, they began taking them out systematically against our wishes. Ask packp, KB, and Vertox if you want to confirm this, we only waited for the right moment to finally (officially) drop the NAP in KoD's eyes to work in our favor, and nothing wrong with that. We had decided to drop it long before that. And also, KoD never lifted a finger to help us when JG drove us out of NE 45/SE 43, so I wonder why would we ever think KoD was a real ally in the first place? We knew they were only using us as a buffer against JG, and planned to absorb us or what cities were left anyway, but they never expected us to make the move to 34/35 and hang on and come back like we did.... So, get your story strait before you rattle off what you only assume. If anyone is lying, it's KoD/VB....