Bring MODs Back Into the Game/Worlds - Proposal

• Thread starter DeletedUser15357
  • Start date

DeletedUser15357

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....

Not really. But a long time ago back during the days of Daedalus being the COMA (sorry if spelled wrong), and even during the reign of Crimson Blue for a time periodically, MODs were in each world to help regulate (not under MOD names of course) and ensure fair play as best as possible. Likewise, Forum Mods and "Gameplay" MODs were assigned to worlds as they opened. While this did allow a slower new world opening rate, this DID ensure that botters (especially botters) and other cheaters were dealt with and banned - regardless of how much money was spent on the game. REAL attackable bans of 5+ days (longest I saw was 10 days), and even permabans on IP addresses/accounts (which also needs to come back).

When this was going on, guess who complained? The cheaters themselves. The people who need to cheat in order to be any bit good or relevant at the game. But yet, the US community thrived. Worlds were filled, many people had a ton of fun playing. Even when the heroes, instabuild, and new deities were introduced along with more events. And eventually the cheaters went away. The forums were lively, worlds were actual competitions, and the hugatons and hand holding pacting was a rare thing.

However, sometime during Medic's reign as COMA, this all changed on a large scale. Bans went from being given to cheaters, to players the MODs didn't like (forums and in game). Cheaters got to use bots and thrive with them. And what happened? The US community collapsed. Many GOOD MODs left entirely or moved to a different server because of this leadership mindset. While thankfully, Medic was fired for a plethora of reasons including these, the "fair play" part was not brought back sadly.

Now, don't mistake my intentions here, I'm not trying to take a shot at @Ryvirath or anything like that. BUT, I would like to ask about the possibility of bringing MODs back into worlds like back in Old School Grepo and then actually uphold THE rules vs a "POV Rules" -> Many MODs have stated that "what I deem good, another MOD may not". For example, if the rules state "No botting/cheating" (which they do) and a player "accidentally" activates a bot but immediately shuts it off, and even if they report that it was an accident... BAN!!! NOT this "oh well they were honest and told us and had integrity to do so". No. You don't accidentally go look for a bot, get it, and hit the activate button. That's like saying I found Grepolis, made an account, confirmed my email, and played. For the past 10 years... By accident.... Rules are rules and are not subject to perspectives. IF perspectives can be allowed, then THEY ARE NOT RULES AND ARE GUIDELINES ONLY!!

If a cop pulls you over going 90 in a 35mph zone, is he going to let you go just because he felt bad for you because you're a new driver or have a clean record or because you're super nice? Chances are, no. You're getting a ticket. Because you broke the law. You defied the rules of the road. Now sure, MODs won't always get it 100% of the time, but they SURE as hell can beat the [seems to be] 5% that are caught cheating, if that nowadays. But, maybe I'm wrong and more bans do go out than I'm aware of?

However, I would also like to note that in today's US Grepo, the SAME PEOPLE keep botting/cheating. And have been for years now. I know of a few doing it since 2017, who have been reported many times since in multiple worlds, and yet they still do it and reign supreme in their cheating because of either the lack of integrity on the authorities part, or, and I hate to say this, the downright ignoring it - whether it's because of their money, or because or personal relationships, or whatever.

I WILL say, Grepo still does a fair (FAIR, not good) job at allowing non-cheaters (or even non-golders vs big golders) to be able to stand their ground fairly well IF they truly play. But, I do see that most new people to the game are decimated because the tutorial doesn't explain the game - just shows what to do - and since the lack of honest banning/rule upholding, many of the same people stay with the same group of people, making the same teams with the same strategies and etc. So, the new guy gets booted out before he/she can even understand what's going on, the vet doesn't want to teach the new guy/gal because they're trying to compete or stay relevant to the big golders or cheaters and therefore their focus is there, and the complaints, have skyrocketed - and are about one of a few things nowadays.

^^ Not a big golder complaint - though, #weaksauce to big golders.

I propose, that we go back to the older Grepo where MODs were in worlds to help regulate and maintain "Fair play". Continuously search for botters, cheaters, and the likes, and ban them. And even deal permabans if needed. Sure, new worlds will come out slower, but it'll allow for a better game experience and less work in the long run for MODs to do. And ultimately, start bringing back the US community to its "Glory Days" when the rim were oceans like 025 vs today where most worlds barely make it out of the Core 4...

What do you guys think?

DeletedUser15357

I also want to follow up here and add that last I play played - until now - was Eubea? Worlds still reached the outer oceans (like 025) but it was during this time we started seeing the decline. Anyways, I would be glad to hear any Mod's perspective to this or even Ryvirath's if available; Could this be a doable thing?

Shock

Peltast
I really think this would help a lot, I've played against lots of players using militia bots, and bots such as that that never get banned unfortunately.... having a mod see it firsthand would probably help a lot lol

*never got banned in the world(s) I saw them in, not to say the absolutely never do

Last edited: