Bridging the Gap

DeletedUser1111

Definition of taunt...

taunt
tônt/
noun
  1. 1.
    a remark made in order to anger, wound, or provoke someone.
    synonyms: jeer, jibe, sneer, insult, barb, catcall; More

verb
  1. 1.
    provoke or challenge (someone) with insulting remarks.
    "students began taunting her about her weight"
    synonyms: jeer at, sneer at, scoff at, poke fun at, make fun of, get at, insult, tease, chaff, torment, goad, ridicule, deride, mock, heckle, ride; More

A "respectful taunt" is an oxymoron. The concept is so flawed that it is impossible to fairly use in enforcement of this rule.

DeletedUser14769

Calling another player a noob is doing nothing but demeaning them. Calling them a noob is putting another player down. BigDragon also makes a good point.

DeletedUser11502

Yes he does but I disagree. Let me ask this: since we obviously can't get away from players taunting each other and there has to be limits applied to comments or the 'family oriented content" would be quickly left behind in the dust, how do we manage it?

For us, it's all in the wording. Yes, calling someone a noob can somewhat demeaning, however, the context of the comment is sometimes more important than the 'label' being applied. This is one of those areas that is subjective in regards to rule violations and Moderators have to walk a fine line to determine what is acceptable and what is not, mainly due to the subtleties of the English language. Simply put there are no cut and dry rules or solutions to this.

Can a taunt be respectful? Yes it can, it's all in how you word it. For example:

A respectful taunt could be "Hey Noob, crappy defense, you can do better!", while a disrespectful taunt could be "Hey Noob, you're a(n) (insert derogatory term here)!"

DeletedUser14770

I gotta ask why the night time bonus is a thing , that is so weak , punnishing players that are willing to sacrafice some sleep to get some good kills at night in favour of the lazy people that need their cuddely night time sleep ,... please is this is gonna be a thing in all servers from now on or just the ZACK server ? question for Mods!

DeletedUser836

I gotta ask why the night time bonus is a thing , that is so weak , punnishing players that are willing to sacrafice some sleep to get some good kills at night in favour of the lazy people that need their cuddely night time sleep ,... please is this is gonna be a thing in all servers from now on or just the ZACK server ? question for Mods!
We are testing out the night bonus due to requests from many players. We may or may not have it in future worlds depending on what happens in Zacynthus.

DeletedUser14770

Its just that this takes away the whole element of supprise from the game .. ot has basicly necome a city builder imstead of a war game , it provides you with no benefitts for innvesting more time in the game than ur opponent becouse he will kmow exactly when the attacks are comming ... i just find it really weird..

I can understand that some servers for the players that dont have much time or are new to the game this can be good but for the player that kiiiinda like the war part of the game, this will be a killer , (no more night time ops , ls nuke kills etc )

DeletedUser11502

As Figtree mentioned, they are testing it. Will this affect strategy... yes. Will players adapt ... they do. What we will be looking for is feedback from the players afterwards in the usual forum locations on the pro's and cons after they use it multiple times.

DeletedUser11720

Again only testing by popular demand. Night bonus gives many players whom have families and lives other than grep that otherwise truly enjoy the game and the brother and sisterhood of some tight knit alliances a chance to breath and get rest. I know most of you have had nights under heavy attack that just wish they could hit insta-VM and get some sleep.

Until now, only vacation mode was a safe haven for players needing a break. Does this favor the defender? Of course, but only during those hours. Not every player will be able to defend even with the bonus as there is a time limit unlike moral. We all need sleep. Just as every change implemented, we "the community" are an intuitive and adaptive crowd and we always find a way to adapt to these changes "others exploit them", but that's not a discussion for this thread.

All I can say is try it out, we know that many players that are not native to the US will not be keen, but there are other servers and markets that better suit these players. We will not be using this in all worlds but don't knock it until you try it.

DeletedUser6798

A respectful taunt could be "Hey Noob, crappy defense, you can do better!"

We can say crappy now? Sorry.. Ive gotten in trouble for less so I am a bit confused.. Highly doubt it though..

So can I say, "Hey Antz, crappy example, mod noob."

DeletedUser11502

We can say crappy now? Sorry.. Ive gotten in trouble for less so I am a bit confused.. Highly doubt it though..

So can I say, "Hey Antz, crappy example, mod noob."

I personally do not see an issue in that particular case. It basically falls to the context in how you use it.

Also, hopefully I am not a noob... most noobs don't have this on their walls.

BIIaJfR.png

DeletedUser6798

Lol that in defending or attacking? If you killed them bravo. If its from defending than there must be a reason they like hitting you so much ;) All about context like you said haha

But I dont think you are a noob Antz. Was just an example to straighten out my confusion

But this though...

I personally do not see an issue in that particular case. It basically falls to the context in how you use it.

To bring my post back on topic. As a mod you have a personal opinion (which is allowed i think) but another mod may simply look at the word "crappy" and decide to give the player an attackable ban.

You cant say with certainty that this wouldnt happen because rules are so soft and open to interpretation. What you willingly use on the forums could be see as vulgar language by someone else. Especially if that person is under attack by you and tries to use the mod as a for of defensive strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser11502

First any bans resulting from violations in private messages will result in attackable bans.

In regards to determination of violations, there are guidelines, however, considering the English language's numerous definitions for each word or phrase, plus the never ending new slang terms, it is nearly impossible to keep a "word list" that is states what is on one side of the line or the other. Considering this, there will always be leeway in determining whether a word or phrase is allowable or not.

In regards for the above... I am one of my alliances snipers.

DeletedUser6798

Words having different definitions is an entirely concept than how each person perceives a single way the word was used.

You are referencing how a word like "crappy" could be ok in some instances but not ok in others. I understand that.

What I am talking about is the fact that two people can react (and issue different punishments) for the same exact instance. If someone reported me for saying, "hey, crappy defense!" it would be luck of the draw if I got you (who would seemingly dismiss it) or someone else (who could issue a warning or worse). That discrepancy is where the disconnect partially stems.

For some reason I have not come across mod that would openly acknowledge this. I dont understand why. The denial of this inherently subjective issue just prolongs any change. It also infuriates to player base.

DeletedUser11502

That is possible, that is why we have guidelines and standards to make that process as clear as possible for the Moderators. These guidelines and standards are based on the posted rules.

Is this process perfect, no however considering what we need to deal with, what system is. Most times it is clear when someone is in violation of the rules or not, however, there are many issues that we deal with on a daily basis that affect a player's comments which contributes to how a Moderators interpretation of the comment:

1. Something as simple as the placement of a comma, or other punctuation, can completely change the meaning or intent of a sentence.

2. Being an international game, we have players using English which is not their first language, so we need to occasionally 'interpret' what the player is attempting to say (this also applies to some players with English as their first language). Sometimes we actually need to fully translate messages when they are not in English and then determine if violations occur. NOTE: We don't judge the players... just their comments

3. Players that may be inebriated, upset, angry, depressed, among other states of being, while playing, which affects how and what they write. Again we don't judge the players... just their comments.

4. Players come from a variety of racial/ethnic backgrounds. This affects how THEY may feel about certain comments whereas others may use the same comment commonly. Example - a player maybe from a country where comment "X" maybe a profound insult or slur, while in an other country "X" is commonly used slang.

5. Players that range from 10 to 70+ years of age. (something we cannot determine from our standpoint but will affect their how they write)

And those are just 5 of the many variables that came to mind that may affect if a comment is against the rules. While the determination and enforcement still needs to be uniform, sometimes getting to that determination may not be as easy as you would think.

DeletedUser4951

IMHO just wing it and say the most insulting thing you can think of. It usually works out.