Attacking for Dummies

DeletedUser

Ok, thanks. I was starting to think that is what it meant after your last comment, but figured I might as well make sure since I'm asking questions. Ha ha.

DeletedUser7629

Seriously, (since the OP was banned), can someone make a "Defense For Dummies" guide ? Also redo this "Attacking For Dummies" guide and make them both include ALL available troops/ships best for/against each other.

That would be great. And I'd think your cool if you did that. Maybe even give you a "thumbs up" ! :p

Seriously tho, could someone ?

DeletedUser

Seriously, (since the OP was banned), can someone make a "Defense For Dummies" guide ? Also redo this "Attacking For Dummies" guide and make them both include ALL available troops/ships best for/against each other.

That would be great. And I'd think your cool if you did that. Maybe even give you a "thumbs up" ! :p

Seriously tho, could someone ?

I'm too busy (and/or lazy) to do all of that. But ask me any question here and I'll answer it. Defense is typically easier to breakdown.

A bit about defense in grepo:

Units

Breakdown of troops - swordsmen defend against slingers, hoplites against horsemen, archers against hoplites.

The defense considered most well-rounded in grepolis is the 6:5:2 defense ratio of swords:hops:archers. Which leads to a final result of 600 swords, 500 hops and 200 archers. Either that or stack the city with chariots (I think around 400-500 end result).
The 6:5:2 defense is based on the premise that slingers and horses are the most used nukes. That's why you have mostly swords and hops.
It can be changed if you start getting attacked with hoplites more often.
The chariot defense does the same thing but it takes away from your versatility.
You also need at least 70-80 biremes in any defensible city.

Naval defense

Naval defense is a lot easier to calculate - put 100 horses to farm with, boats to support them and the rest is biremes. Overall around 250 biremes, give or take.
Do not build Light Ships in defensive cities.
Avoid building Colony Ships in defensive cities. A colony ship is useless if not supported by a nice bunch of Light Ships and offensive units.

Things to know about defending
1) Always use militia if you're online and see an attack coming. Even if completely certain that you can defend against it the militia will save you some troops and they cost nothing.
2) If you choose to fortify your city, a Tower is a must. It increases defense by 10%.

Researches you need for a defensive city

Hoplites
Archers
Trainer (faster rebuild of troops, nice to have in any city actually)
Bireme
Chariots (even if it's not a 100% chariot city you won't have a problem researching it, there are enough points)
Conscription (saves a bunch of resources)
Plow (additional 200 FS)
Phalanx and Battering Ram

Special Buildings

In a purely defensive city a Tower and Thermal Baths would probably be your best bet.
Tower - 10% more defense as mentioned above
Thermal Baths - 10% more population

Mythical Units and Gods

1) Zeus
- Useful Spells: Zeus' Rage - destroys 10-30% of land units.
- Mythical Unit for Def: Minotaur - well-rounded(675 blunt, 300 sharp, 560 distance), mostly strong against Slingers and Horses.

2) Poseidon
- Useful Spells: Sea Storm - destroys 10-30% of sea units.
- Mythical Unit for Def: Cyclops (1310 distance, 945 blunt def) and Hydra (715 def against navy) can both be used in def.

3) Hera
- Useful Spells: Desire - reduces attack of attacking units
- Mythical Unit for Def: Medusa (625 b, 435 s, 375 d)

4) Athena
- Useful Spells: Wisdom (you get a spy report on an enemy force) and City Protection (makes the city vulnerable towards spells) are useful when defending.
- Mythical Unit for Def: Pegasus (900 b, 250 s, 300 d)

5) Hades
- Useful Spells: N/A
- Mythical Unit for Def: Cerberus (825 b, 300 s, 1575 d) and Erinys (688 b, 688 s, 895 d)

The above mythical units are only mentioned because they have a certain amount of defense that might be useful. I in no way claim that you should always use them, it's up to you to choose in which city to use them and in which - not.

This is all I can think of for now.
Any further questions - let me know.

~Torgaddon

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7629

I'm too busy (and/or lazy) to do all of that. But ask me any question here and I'll answer it. Defense is typically easier to breakdown.

.....**edit..... see originating post#24**

This is all I can think of for now.
Any further questions - let me know.

~Torgaddon

Wow dude, thanks a lot. That sure is a lot of information for someone thats too busy or supposedly lazy ! Haha ! I'd say you helped a lot.

This is my first city, I am trying to build up to be able to get other cities, but to do that, it doesn't seem like this current (first) city can be "Specialized". I do hear that word a lot and advice that its best for cities to be specialized, but man, I keep getting spied on, and attacked... and I want to attack to get a city, so it seems I need this first city to be "Well Rounded" ? No ? This will allow me to get my feet off the ground.

In any case, I do thank you for your help and I appreciate the time you took to write all that. I also appreciate your offer to allow me to ask you things. I may take you up on that.

Thanks again !

DeletedUser

Wow dude, thanks a lot. That sure is a lot of information for someone thats too busy or supposedly lazy ! Haha ! I'd say you helped a lot.

This is my first city, I am trying to build up to be able to get other cities, but to do that, it doesn't seem like this current (first) city can be "Specialized". I do hear that word a lot and advice that its best for cities to be specialized, but man, I keep getting spied on, and attacked... and I want to attack to get a city, so it seems I need this first city to be "Well Rounded" ? No ? This will allow me to get my feet off the ground.

In any case, I do thank you for your help and I appreciate the time you took to write all that. I also appreciate your offer to allow me to ask you things. I may take you up on that.

Thanks again !

Well, it really depends. I actually specialize even my first city, maybe a little defense units just to make sure but typically it's an offensive city. When it comes to navy - you can't specialize your first city. It has got to have both LS and Birs cuz you're gonna be conquesting and because you'll need the defense. But yeah, you can either go mostly offense and then some defense with a mixed navy or go 50:50 offense and defense. It's up to you. I find that offense is the best defense but different people have different playstyles.

You're welcome! ;)

~T.

DeletedUser7629

Well, it really depends. I actually specialize even my first city, maybe a little defense units just to make sure but typically it's an offensive city. When it comes to navy - you can't specialize your first city. It has got to have both LS and Birs cuz you're gonna be conquesting and because you'll need the defense. But yeah, you can either go mostly offense and then some defense with a mixed navy or go 50:50 offense and defense. It's up to you. I find that offense is the best defense but different people have different playstyles.

You're welcome! ;)

~T.

Ok, then what is the best rounded Offense build of troops and ships for a "first City" wanting to do a take overs look like ? As in, if Defense is 6:5:2, what is the Offense version of this ?

DeletedUser

I was going to say the same thing. That was a lot of great info for someone that was too lazy. Can't imagine what you would crank out if you were motivated. :) I also want to thank you for the extra info.

DeletedUser

Ok, then what is the best rounded Offense build of troops and ships for a "first City" wanting to do a take overs look like ? As in, if Defense is 6:5:2, what is the Offense version of this ?

Well, it's tough to calculate that since it's a mixed city and everyone has their own preference so I'll separate it into 3 categories.

1) More Offense, Less Defense (my usual preference):
In this version you'll be focusing mostly on Slingers/Horses and Light Ships. By the end of BP (Beginner's Protection) you should be able to dish out 300-500 slingers + some horses (50-100). When time goes by you should have a final nuke of around 800-1000 slingers and some horses OR 400-500 horses, no slingers. Those numbers are of course hard to reach as you will probably be attacking with your armies and have losses. The higher amounts of troops will be reached once you start have 2-3-4+ cities. Having enough transport ships right out of BP isn't necessary because you'll first be attacking your own island. Light Ships should be in the 20-30 range out of BP and more should be built constantly until you get around 80.
As far as defensive troops go - you can have a little bit of swords, hoplites and archers (100sw, 100h, 50a) and biremes at around 20-30. You can even have less land defense than that. Biremes shouldn't be less than 15 (10 for quest + 5 reward), so at least do the quest.

2) Evenly Offense and Defense:
Although I do not recommend this you can evenly spread out both defense and offense. I don't recommend it because you're not gonna be great at offense and not gonna be great at defense either. You can follow the 6:5:2 defense ratio to build up your defense and then build some horses or slingers. In this case I wouldn't recommend both because you'll have too little of each. Either go for around 150 horses or go for around 300+ slingers.
Bireme and LS numbers don't change - around 15-30 of each at the end of BP, and around 70-80 of each overall.

3) More Defense, Less Offense
I think by now you have a grasp of what to do. Follow the 6:5:2 ratio for defense and only use horses (around 50) for farming. This is the turtle mode, which I don't really recommend. If experienced players start attacking you, start saying your prayers because you'll have nothing to retaliate with and it's only a matter of time before your walls crumble. You will also have a hard time conquering. In turtle mode increasing the wall levels is also recommended.
Bireme and LS numbers don't change - around 15-30 of each at the end of BP, and around 70-80 of each overall.

Now, the above information is mostly for 4-5 days of BP. If you only have 3 days BP you might not be able to reach some of the numbers on there. Especially the LS numbers. Unless you use gold, of course. So, you should make those judgments for yourself when you start playing.
I hope this gives you enough information to know how to build your armies.
No one can really teach you what to do, you just have to try it out. :).

I was going to say the same thing. That was a lot of great info for someone that was too lazy. Can't imagine what you would crank out if you were motivated. I also want to thank you for the extra info.

If I were motivated I'd write you a several-page essay on attacking and defending in Grepolis. lol
But.. I won't. :D

~T.

DeletedUser

I had a question. I recently threw a bunch of attacking units and ships to go raid a ghost town, but when the report came back, it showed that all my forces were wiped out and i just showed a question mark for the oppositions forces. Can anyone tell me what happened?

thanks

DeletedUser6486

The ghost town you were attacking had left over troops in it that defeated your attacking force, since there were no surviving troops on your end, there was no one to report back the size of the opposing army

DeletedUser7629

....*edited, See original post#29 for details*......

Dude, seriously great advise and info there. Just wanted to thank you for this and your time. I will try this. I will go for the "More Offense/Less Defense" one for my main first city.

BTW, I took over my first city. Feel like a B.A. (nose sniffle, pulling up pants a bit with proud smirk on face) :D And so now I have 2 cities ! Oddly enough, my colony ship seems to have disappeared. So some jerk from another city must have ship jacked me. This aint GTS (Grand Theft Ship) so daaaymn..

Seriously though, its gone, don't know where it went, and now to get another city I must reconstruct another colony ship from my main first city cause its the only one that can make them right now.

That said, I now wanna get into some Specializing of my cities. Hence, this conversation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a question. I recently threw a bunch of attacking units and ships to go raid a ghost town, but when the report came back, it showed that all my forces were wiped out and i just showed a question mark for the oppositions forces. Can anyone tell me what happened?

thanks

The ghost town you were attacking had left over troops in it that defeated your attacking force, since there were no surviving troops on your end, there was no one to report back the size of the opposing army

I'm not laughing at your situation Todopijudo, and I actually feel for your loses, but this answer from decky66 was super funny. Especially this part:
there was no one to report back the size of the opposing army
LOL !! I had the whole thing visioned in my head the way it went down... Haha, no one returns, yea, so how would the emperor know what and who his troops were battling ?

Super funny ! Never thought of it that way. Poor guys. Usually, a real group of troops of the winning side allows one wounded soldier to run back and spread word of how powerful these guys are as a enemy and to not eff wit them. But not these guys from this no-named Ghost Town, no way.. They kill all and leave a mystery. LOL Wow...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The colony ship disappears when you conquer a city. 1 CS= 1 City. :)

DeletedUser7629

The colony ship disappears when you conquer a city. 1 CS= 1 City. :)

Got'cha. Thanks.

So (just asking), in the game worlds mind........ where does the CS go ? It just magically falls apart into drift wood once my people get off it ?

DeletedUser

Got'cha. Thanks.

So (just asking), in the game worlds mind........ where does the CS go ? It just magically falls apart into drift wood once my people get off it ?

All the people get off to colonize the city. Then the ship is taken apart and LS and Birs are built from it. :D

OR it's used as firewood during the night. :D

DeletedUser

Is it possible to cancel an attack once it is on it's way, if it hasn't arrived at the other city yet? A naval attack.

DeletedUser7629

Is it possible to cancel an attack once it is on it's way, if it hasn't arrived at the other city yet? A naval attack.

Yea, just click on the little red "x" in the "troop movement" window thing that pops up when you are hovering your mouse over it.

DeletedUser

Yea, just click on the little red "x" in the "troop movement" window thing that pops up when you are hovering your mouse over it.

You can cancel it in the first 5 minutes. After that the X disappears.