Athenian Republic

DeletedUser

PREMABLE OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE ATHENIAN REPUBLIC

We believe that the strongest alliance is the alliance with the most active members. The Athenian Republic is founded on the notion of creating a Constitution that encourages and compels participation. For while our Constitution is rooted in the game play of Grepolis, it incorporates the timeless principals of the greatest participatory democracy in history, the ancient city of Athenians itself.

For within the Athenian Republic, you will find an Assembly were the rule of the Demos "People" is Supreme, and a Court comprised of citizen jurors, were non participation is met with harsh punishment and participation is rewarded. Start as a lowly Altima "a person without honor" and without rights and rise thru the ranks to become a citizen and an elite councilor. Pursue a career in politics and become elected a Strategoi "General", Judge, Priest or Priestess, or a Spy Master in the secretive Security Counsel. Each Magistrate with the power and duty to enforce participation on the citizens in both war and peace, but cross the line of the Demos and you will find yourself at the mercy of its Court.

The Idea
A game within a game​

Join the Athenian Republic as we recreate ancient Athens and Rule the World.

The institutions of the ancient Greek city of Athens had created an empire through direct democracy that demanded that its citizens actively participate. The idea behind the Athenian Republic is to take those ancient ideas and institutions and recreate them within the Grepolis experience to encourage cooperation for rapid city development, joint espionage, and of course, warfare. In the Republic, the people rule and participation is the Law.

Membership is open to anyone who asks, but Citizenship must be granted by the People, and players who choose not to join in will find themselves called before its Court to face the People's judgment. So while membership is open, there is a built in weeding out system.

Experienced players are encouraged to join and seek election as a Magistrate. In the Republic, there are (4) major Magistrates as well as other minor magistrates:

Strategoi "Generals" that lead the military;

Priests that encourage participation and city growth and welfare;

Judges that preside over the Court; and

Spys that engage in spying on behalf of the Security Council.

Overview on the Institutions of the Republic

Just like ancient Athens, the Magistrates are elected by the Assembly of the Citizens, and once elected have the power to decree, fine and tax the citizens for the common good. For example, a General can decree a Citizen to attack an enemy city, or a Spy can impose a tax on elite citizens to cover the cost of spy reports.

If the Citizen refuses to comply with the Magistrate, the Magistrate is responsible to prosecute the Citizen for Insubordination in the Court, which is made up of Citizen Jurors. The Courts are run like they were in ancient Athens and have real power to punish offenders.

But on the flip side, should a Magistrate abuse his power, any Citizen can charge the Magistrate of Incompetence and prosecute him in Court.

The system is designed to create balance play that promotes greater cooperation and provide entertainment during the slow periods of Grepolis. Seriously, it is built on the historical institutions of ancient Athens. It is a game within a game....

- - - - - - - - - -

The Athenian Republic will be founded in the South West Quadrant. Players interested in joining should contact me, or check the Alliance page once the world starts. And good luck to everyone.

Themistocles Jones

DeletedUser

This is a excellent idea though it will be difficult to get a large enough member base. Good luck.

DeletedUser

This is a excellent idea though it will be difficult to get a large enough member base. Good luck.

This is my second try setting up an alliance based on a democratic system from two years ago. It takes about 10 players to start to function. Unfortunately, last time I tried I started far too late in the game. We were able to fend off a mega alliance and succeeded in causing it to collapse with covert diplomatic efforts with rival mega alliances. But in the end we folded too.

However, I learned a lot from the experience and the original model was not based on Athenian institutions. It is amazing what you can learn from Wikipedia. This system is streamed line for simpler operation and avoiding gridlock, while focusing more on encouraging participation. Besides while the start up can be slow, I try to make it up by keeping everyone entertained. Sort of like a dungeon master in dungeon and dragons. Thanks and good luck too.

Themistocles Jones

DeletedUser

I like the idea. I am a little worried about in fighting, but good luck.

DeletedUser1111

Omicron is a speed 3/3 conquest world with a 70 cap. The logistics and combat alone will be quite challenging. Your government idea is laudable but are you sure you will have the energy and people to make your idea viable and relevant? Grepolis is foremost a military endeavor - I have never seen a military run as a democracy. Please keep us posted on the progress of your experiment.

DeletedUser2039

Government always becomes corrupt. Just have one solid leader with an advisory council. Quick decisions, and always with the best interest of the alliance happening.