Alliance Entrance Exam

DeletedUser

10/10. You should ask what troop ratios make the best defense and stuff. Any noob can make a 10/10 on that quiz. ;)

DeletedUser5088

I got a 9/10 o.o

must be the fireships one, never use them :p

DeletedUser

Sorry I've been away. Life issues. I will try to add some more advanced questions. The goal of the test though was to test people before allowing them to enter an alliance. So, usually the basic questions weed people out.

DeletedUser

Yea, any way to display wrong answers? Also the wiki is a guide, a well placed/built 1500 pt city is much better than a trash 2k+ city in a trash location :p

(Edit so not double post)

Some more challenging questions, i hope all you noobs know the answers ;) :

- When is it viable to use fireships ingame on an ongoing basis?
- What is a scorched earth policy?
- What advantages does an Oligarchy have over traditional alliances?
- In what situations is social engineering a very valid tactic ingame?

No one has tried to answer these? :p Hahahaha shows my age

DeletedUser

I am sorry Sicotic, I meant to reply to you earlier, had to go to work. I would like the test to show wrong answers, but I would have to purchase an upgrade to the WordPress testing plugin that I am using on my website that is hosting the test. I just don't feel the need to purchase the full upgrade at this time.

As for the 2K city recommendation you are correct. A 2k city does not mean that it is a good city. The question that this refers to however is not so much designed to make sure that a player knows to take over cities larger than 2K. Instead, it is designed to see if the potential alliance member is actually reading the wiki for the basic information that is provided there. It is right now, after over 80 test takers, the most missed question on the test. Almost everyone misses this question which shows how few people are actually taking the time to read the wiki.

As to your other questions they are very advanced and more related to tactics than game mechanics or basic game information that a player needs to prevent making costly mistakes. For instance,

"What advantages does an Oligarchy have over traditional alliances?"

This question cannot be answered. Why? It is because in practice all governmental systems are oligarchies. In practice, every form of government is ruled or controlled by a small majority of people. See link:

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Oligarchy

This question as well, has little bearing on the game: "What is a scorched earth policy?"

The essential tactic of scorched earth is to simply attack anything of use to the enemy, even if it is of a non military nature. In the game though, this tactic cannot be employed. There is only one target in this game, an enemy players city. You cannot attack supplies, troops on the move, civilians, manufacturing or any other non military targets. So, scorched earth would not apply. The game equivalent is constant farming or attacking of players cities repeatedly, which is not scorched earth, but instead a harassment activity.

Another question that does not relate to the game well is this one, "In what situations is social engineering a very valid tactic in game?"

Social Engineering is a security term and not a warfare term. It is in the realm of manipulating people to give away passwords and account information, not spy intel. Social engineering involves Phishing and baiting schemes to get a target to divulge credit card, social security numbers, or password information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28security%29

Psychological Warfare on the other hand is a valid game tactic that may use shock and awe military tactics, propaganda, subversion, disinformation, and many other warfare tactics.

The last remaining question that you have asked was, "When is it viable to use fireships ingame on an ongoing basis?". The answer as I see it, is, never. I have never seen a situation where fireships were needed on an ongoing basis. Many players make a few just for added defense, but they are a unit that limits the abilities of the players who use them because they can only be used in defense and do not attack transports, so, to use them in an ongoing basis would only be done so from a purely defensive strategy. Since (like life) the game favors the attacker and not the defender, being an ongoing defensive player is a losing game. As General Patton said, "Fixed fortifications are monuments to fools". So, asking a player to know purely defensive turtle tactics is a defeatist strategy and would not be appropriate for an alliance entrance exam.

But thank you for submitting questions to be asked.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I've read / I read the wiki, though there's too much information for me to be able to remember it all. Unfortunately, I don't have an eidetic memory like Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory.

DeletedUser10222

I've read / I read the wiki, though there's too much information for me to be able to remember it all. Unfortunately, I don't have an eidetic memory like Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory.

Don't know many people who do. :p

DeletedUser11708

New to the game. Got a 7 out of 10. Hopefully I get 10/10 next time. ;)

DeletedUser5973

I saw a couple things I would change.

1. A mixed nuke is technically not even a nuke. A nuke is all of the same unit, you are far better off sending in 3 full nukes of each unit than 3 mixed attacks with a combination of each.

2. There is more than one way to do a harbor check

DeletedUser10039

I saw a couple things I would change.

1. A mixed nuke is technically not even a nuke. A nuke is all of the same unit, you are far better off sending in 3 full nukes of each unit than 3 mixed attacks with a combination of each.

2. There is more than one way to do a harbor check

not sure i agree, the original term nuke was derived from nuke bomb and its a devistating force

also mixed nukes are always better to attack with all attacks work better with cats so all attacks should be mixed also on blind attacks mixed nukes spread risk and give better returns

overall the major problem with the test is its based on the info in grepo wiki

wiki is a beginers guide bit like cobblemixes guide

people need to look deaper to get better not follow like sheep wiki's and guides. still they are definatly a great starting place to grow from

DeletedUser6398

Man this thread could become SNAKE BAIT for revealing tactical.. LOL ...and an excellent education for noobs. ...Brilliant!
Some things you may want to add:

1) Trip wires
2) Which GOD best for noobs
3) Five minute loots vs. sacking a farm..
4) What to look for when picking Islands to occupy
5) Stacking
6) Dodging..
...etc, etc, etc

Man this "entrance exam" could get serious and serve as a basic training tool for noobs.. WELL DONE! (Hope to see it develop it into a page that demands "all noobs who do not visit are worthy of destruction" LMAO! Could save us alotta time weeding out the boneheads in training Academies lol ...don't visit the page, you DIE! hahahaha

..will check back here for progress. ...you may remind me something I forgot hahaha