Advice on choosing an alliance

DeletedUser

Hey folks,

Does anyone have some personal tips on how to choose an alliance?

I am new to Grepolis, but have played a similar war game in the past. I am thinking that the same basic logic applies, but would be grateful to hear opinions on what attributes to look for, red flags, etc..

Thank you in advance!

DeletedUser7429

I would choose either an alliance that is strong in your ocean, or an alliance that some of the best players on your island or around your island are in.

DeletedUser5088

Maybe "Oceania Republic"?
It's hard because it looks like you are on the rim

DeletedUser7429

sadly no and i think he meant you are right in between two oceans (57 and 56)

DeletedUser

Ah, I see. So, if I was randomly put in 57 but I am not able to move anywhere else....what do you recommend? Are there other options?

DeletedUser7429

your ocean is pretty new so either join an alliance that can help you out in 57 or 56 that is near you, or try your luck founding an alliance. Or what i recommend is to not join any alliance until everyone on your island has lost there beginners protection.

DeletedUser

I appreciate the advice, davey. I played Evony for a few years, so I suppose my brain is trying to draw comparisons since I already know the tips and tricks of that game.

Can you tell me the difference between 'alliance/player' and 'ocean alliance/player'? Would an ocean alliance never have cause to meet up with a regular alliance? Is one a stepping stone of sorts to the other?

If I were to take cities on other islands at some point, could I abandon the previous one(s) and eventually make my out into the more inhabited part of the world? Surely I am not meant to stay put in my random little ocean for eternity? :\

DeletedUser7429

well alliances and ocean alliances are the same thing kind of, in grepolis there are 100 oceans i think, only 44, 45, 46, 54, 55, 56, 57 i think are too big right now, but if you join an alliance and that alliance has 20 members in your ocean and 40 members in total, then you would have 20 members in your ocean alliance ranking and 40 members in the alliance rankings. Another thing when you are conquering you can conquer any city in the game. So you can conquer into new oceans, and when you conquer you will keep your first city where it is and the new city will be where you conquered it. I am sorry this sounds confusing im not the best at explaining. :p

DeletedUser6486

The ocean alliances tab is just the ranking for the alliances in the specific ocean that is selected same with ocean players

DeletedUser

Alliance/Player is your world rankings for both your alliance and yourself. Ocean Alliance/Player represents your rank in a specific ocean for your alliance and yourself.

You can't abandon your previous cities unless they are conquered or you quit the game, but you can conquer cities on other islands to expand yourself.

Hope this helps :)

DeletedUser

Perfect explanations, all of them - including davey's. :p

I have a better understanding of it now, thank you all. I hope you will bear with me while I get acclimated to the rules. The wiki is awesome, so well written and very helpful. I'll try not to bother the forums with too many noob questions.

I am not sure if I am moving up in the game at the right pace or not, but we'll see, lol. I took some of the advice given and have held off joining any alliance just yet. It seems that there is a prominent one in my area and most of the active players in my area are joining it.

DeletedUser7429

Well I dont think you are doing bad, you are ninth in your ocean xD

DeletedUser

just don't forget to build troops early so you dont have to worry, and dont bother about the questions everyone here was once a noob even though we dont like to admit it :-D

DeletedUser

Well I dont think you are doing bad, you are ninth in your ocean xD
Haha, I didn't realize that - I just saw my rank was in the 1600 area and that sounded really bad, lol. But, thanks for the encouragement. I think I only have a day+ in BP so hope I'm ready after that!

just don't forget to build troops early so you dont have to worry, and dont bother about the questions everyone here was once a noob even though we dont like to admit it :-D
Absolutely. I have only played one other war game and that was the first thing I learned, lol. I don't know that I will have enough, the wait time between hitting the NPCs is making me impatient, lol. However, I'll keep 'em cooking. :D

I played for about 3 years, so my mind tries to find the equivalent of every Grepo move I need to make. I guess it's just habit.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7429

And since you started so late its fine if your overall rankings stink, just look at your ocean ranking and then you can more accurately see how you are doing. How long ago did you start playing in this world?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The game gets easier as you play, and if you get in an alliance with some experienced players you will go up in the rankings even faster.