Academy Alliances?

DeletedUser3157

Do you think they serve a purpose? Or are just a waste of time to organize?

-Vys

DeletedUser2039

They are worth it in the beginning (1-4 monthsish) of the game, but should then be dropped once you weed out what players are worth keeping. It may be useful again later in the game if one alliance loses a leader and you are taking them in. Overall, I don't think so, and if you are in an academy, you are being held back. Get out.

DeletedUser

It depends on the alliance cap of the world imo. If its small (30-60) they serve a purpose. Anything more than that and I consider the alliance a MRA.

DeletedUser2039

It depends on the alliance cap of the world imo. If its small (30-60) they serve a purpose. Anything more than that and I consider the alliance a MRA.
Even on a 30-60 player world, I can't say they always help. You have to look at world activity too. Eta for example doesn't have a large player base anymore, and the academies in that world are only feeding simmers and alliances that are afraid to kick players.

DeletedUser

Even on a 30-60 player world, I can't say they always help. You have to look at world activity too. Eta for example doesn't have a large player base anymore, and the academies in that world are only feeding simmers and alliances that are afraid to kick players.

Agreed. On the other hand helorus has a lot of active players still and many academy alliances.

W4RR10R

Chilliarch
Academy alliances are just a way around the alliance cap, they are effectively cheating, unless they are actually 'training' players up

DeletedUser2039

Academy alliances are just a way around the alliance cap, they are effectively cheating, unless they are actually 'training' players up
Not really cheating per say. I would say most are circumventing the alliance cap, but they aren't against the rules either. Many can help players progress though regardless. Others just encourage simming.

W4RR10R

Chilliarch
Well, I'd say technically it is, because the cap is there and the academy is skipping around it

DeletedUser2039

Cheating is doing something against the rules. Academies are not against the rules.:p

DeletedUser3157

Well the only use I see for them is if the alliance cap is rly rly small like 30-60 or they are training players up into a understanding of the gameplay. Otherwise only one alliance can build a wonder...

W4RR10R

Chilliarch
To be honest, a smaller cap is better, it encourages eliter alliances, forces players to rely on skill rather than numbers, and makes MRA's go poof, unless they use academies :mad:

DeletedUser

well, many academy alliances are when an alliance comes from a world with a large alliance cap, to a world with a smaller alliance cap, so they don't want to get rid of any of their players and make an academy alliance.

Another way some academy alliances are made is when an alliance defeats another in war, then, it is more of a sister alliance, because many players want to stay in their alliance because there is a feeling of family.

Academies work in certain situations, such as the first I mentioned, but when they try to train noobs, it doesn't work that great, because the elite players are in a different alliance trying to train them, while all the noobs are put in another alliance. Doesn't exactly work, huh?

I much prefer Sister/Brother alliances, where nobody "moves up" if they meet a certain requirement, there are just different alliances that share the same forums, and are basically a way around the alliance cap. They usually work out much better, for instance on the EN worlds, in Phi(I believe) there were some "FORTRESS" alliances that had the top 5 ranks for a bit. They pretty much dominated, but if one had been an academy, I don't think it would have worked as well.

Then, there are the instances where the academy turns on the main alliance and demolishes them (happened on an EN world, Eta maybe?).

But usually, academies are failures if they are actually "academies" but if they are sister/brother alliances, they are(most times) pretty good. As long as there aren't like 50 FORTRESS I(FORTRESS II, FORTRESS III, FORTRESS IV, FORTRESS V, FORTRESS VI...etc)

Kariella

Hoplite
there really is no use for an academy... since they are not physically linked together... they cannot both win the server only one can... so really all it is, is a self imposed pact where one alliance agrees to be in servitude (wow I can believe spell check didn't nail me on that) to another... for whatever the reason...

I just feel bad for the sucker alliances that agree to it... they lose a big edge in the early game... imho

DeletedUser3732

thank you i find that in eta there are way to many academy's and they just use them to start wars