Gods: Worshiping Them Efficiently

DeletedUser

So I wrote this for my alliance in Epsilon and put it in our Tips/Guides section for newer players or for players who weren't experienced with myth units. I figured it may be worth value in the forums and decided to post it. As a disclaimer I haven't done any editing so it is simply copied/pasted from the alliance forum to here. I'd like a little feedback on it as I haven't gotten much from Epsilon. I know it is a little bit wall-of-text-ish but I think it contains some value. My thanks in advance.

-xMalevolent

So there are guides to this on the wiki, but the few I've read talk more about the usefulness of divine units and ways to use god powers, but they don't ever focus on resource use like the normal guides do with unit production (i.e., Bir factories are best used on islands with +Wood -Silver production, Offensive land units are most efficiently produced on islands with high rock (or silver for horsemen/hops) and low wood production). Bottom line is I theory crafted it a little bit and essentially once you've more than 5 cities (have access to all the gods) it's worthwhile to strategically worship certain gods on certain islands.

THIS DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ISLANDS THAT HAVE HIGHER LEVEL TEMPLES OR A DIVINE STATUE!!!
(So if you worship Hera at a city w/ a level 25 temple and a divine statue because you want to be able to spam Happiness and Population Growth don't move her to a different city just because her resource efficiency isn't ideal -- favor is more important.)

That being said, here's the deal: (Mathematics tech. isn't factored into the costs.)

Poseidon: +Wood -Silver (Bir factories)
-- Hydras: Expensive across the board but they are wood heavy (5400). At first glance this seemingly doesn't make sense because Hydras cost more silver (3800) than they do rock (2800) but the important note here is this: You should have excess silver at these cities (once they're fully built) because you won't be using it for production. (Birs only cost 180 silver WITHOUT Mathematics.)
-- Cyclops: EDITED When I originally wrote this I wrote it as Cyclops were an offensive unit. It turns out I was mistaken and they are best used in defense. They provide the third best ranged defense per farm space and fourth best blunt D/FS in the game and as such can be used to defend against your common slinger and/or horse nuke. I will standby my belief that you shouldn't focus on building these, but if you have spare favor and silver to spend you certainly can make use of them. DODGE THEM IF THE ATTACKER IS HITTING WITH SHARP ATTACK UNITS (Manticores/Hoplites/Chariots/etc.) -- THEY WILL BE NEXT TO USELESS.

Zeus: +Silver -Rock (Horseman factories)
-- Minotaur's: Very similar resource cost ratio to horsemen (although they are much more costly in silver than horses are). EDIT: They DO provide the fifth best blunt defense in the game.
-- Manticore's: Wood heavy, but it should be made up for with the wood you're NOT using by building horsemen. Anyway, these guys are so costly in favor, it's not going to be your resources holding you back. They're mainly here because Zeus doesn't have an ideal fit AND you should have a nearly max level barracks anywhere you're pumping out horses.

Hades: +Rock -Wood (Chariots) OR +Silver -Wood (Hops) (Hybrid LU Production Islands)
-- Cerberus/Erinys: Both silver heavy (although Erinys require an equal amount of rock) and wood light. Both produced from barracks -- again, you should have a high level barracks.
EDIT: NOTE: Cerberus provide the third best blunt defense and second best range defense per farm space in the game. Erinys are a great offensive unit (I think?) but I don't have the numbers for them..

Hera: +Rock -Silver (Slinger) (Off. LU Production Islands)
-- Medusa: Rock heavy (like the slingers you'll be mass producing here) with similar wood and silver ratios. The excess silver she requires should be made up for by the silver you should be amassing while building slingers.
-- Harpies: Somewhat an inverse of slingers -- cheap in stone, most expensive in wood and silver. Because of the hindered silver production you're stores of silver and then of wood will fluctuate if you rotate building these in with your standard slinger production.
EDIT: NOTE: Fast. Fliers (no transports). Killing machines. Great carrying capacity.

Athena: +Wood -Rock (Def. LU/Light Ship Factories)
-- Centaur/Pegasus: Require vast amounts of wood with light amounts of silver/stone. All the excess stone you'll have on these islands will easily cover the cost required for these units; the biggest issue will likely be the silver in times of heavy production.
-- Athena doesn't really fit anywhere, this is simply her "better fit".
--Centaurs provide the best sharp defense per farm space; Pegasus provides the best blunt defense per farm space. My updated view of them is this: Light Ship factories double as DLU factories. They are a great launching point for LS clearing waves, but they should also be used in order to support allies and other cities defensively on the ground. As such, you can choose to produce Light Ships OR Swords and Archers OR Centaurs/Pegs OR a combination of the groupings. Pegs have the obvious advantage of not needing transports and quick travel. Great for supporting cities against horseman nukes. Combinations of Centaurs and Archers will provide the most efficient defense against Hoplite nukes (using archers to get rid of spare resources when you no longer have the favor to produce Centaurs).

The below information assumes that you are attacking or defending with/versus a naval force (the attacker/defender isn't on your island -- the calculations consider transports.)
Going to summarize WHICH myth units are worth building and how you should use them:

Unit:/Summary:/To build them or not:
Pegasus: BEST defensive unit in the game. WORST offensive unit in the game. YES
Centaur: 6th best defensive unit in the game; great in combination w/ Pegs. YES
Cerberus: 2nd best defensive unit; great in combo. w/ archers. YES
Erinyes: Just no. NO!
Medusa: 4th best atk. unit, 3rd best def. unit; 1st combined attack/defense. YES
Harpies: BEST blunt nuke in the game, WORST def. unit in the game YES
Hydras: (On this server, no) NO!
Cyclops: Situational, but theoretically yes.. YES
Minotaur: Just no. NO!
Manticore: Best sharp nuke in the game, but pathetic, awful defense. YES

This is where I got my information for the last section: http://grepolis-pro.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/mythical-units.html

DeletedUser

I guess this would be the place to ask this. Can I keep my units that are particular to one god if I switch. For example can I keep my Medusas if I switch to Hades or what have you. I'm not even far enough along to build monsters but I'm curious nonetheless.

DeletedUser2039

I guess this would be the place to ask this. Can I keep my units that are particular to one god if I switch. For example can I keep my Medusas if I switch to Hades or what have you. I'm not even far enough along to build monsters but I'm curious nonetheless.
No you can not.

DeletedUser

Losing Favor

So I wrote this for my alliance in Epsilon and put it in our Tips/Guides section for newer players or for players who weren't experienced with myth units. I figured it may be worth value in the forums and decided to post it. As a disclaimer I haven't done any editing so it is simply copied/pasted from the alliance forum to here. I'd like a little feedback on it as I haven't gotten much from Epsilon. I know it is a little bit wall-of-text-ish but I think it contains some value. My thanks in advance.

-xMalevolent

So there are guides to this on the wiki, but the few I've read talk more about the usefulness of divine units and ways to use god powers, but they don't ever focus on resource use like the normal guides do with unit production (i.e., Bir factories are best used on islands with +Wood -Silver production, Offensive land units are most efficiently produced on islands with high rock (or silver for horsemen/hops) and low wood production). Bottom line is I theory crafted it a little bit and essentially once you've more than 5 cities (have access to all the gods) it's worthwhile to strategically worship certain gods on certain islands.

THIS DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ISLANDS THAT HAVE HIGHER LEVEL TEMPLES OR A DIVINE STATUE!!!
(So if you worship Hera at a city w/ a level 25 temple and a divine statue because you want to be able to spam Happiness and Population Growth don't move her to a different city just because her resource efficiency isn't ideal -- favor is more important.)

That being said, here's the deal: (Mathematics tech. isn't factored into the costs.)

Poseidon: +Wood -Silver (Bir factories)
-- Hydras: Expensive across the board but they are wood heavy (5400). At first glance this seemingly doesn't make sense because Hydras cost more silver (3800) than they do rock (2800) but the important note here is this: You should have excess silver at these cities (once they're fully built) because you won't be using it for production. (Birs only cost 180 silver WITHOUT Mathematics.)
-- Cyclops: EDITED When I originally wrote this I wrote it as Cyclops were an offensive unit. It turns out I was mistaken and they are best used in defense. They provide the third best ranged defense per farm space and fourth best blunt D/FS in the game and as such can be used to defend against your common slinger and/or horse nuke. I will standby my belief that you shouldn't focus on building these, but if you have spare favor and silver to spend you certainly can make use of them. DODGE THEM IF THE ATTACKER IS HITTING WITH SHARP ATTACK UNITS (Manticores/Hoplites/Chariots/etc.) -- THEY WILL BE NEXT TO USELESS.

Zeus: +Silver -Rock (Horseman factories)
-- Minotaur's: Very similar resource cost ratio to horsemen (although they are much more costly in silver than horses are). EDIT: They DO provide the fifth best blunt defense in the game.
-- Manticore's: Wood heavy, but it should be made up for with the wood you're NOT using by building horsemen. Anyway, these guys are so costly in favor, it's not going to be your resources holding you back. They're mainly here because Zeus doesn't have an ideal fit AND you should have a nearly max level barracks anywhere you're pumping out horses.

Hades: +Rock -Wood (Chariots) OR +Silver -Wood (Hops) (Hybrid LU Production Islands)
-- Cerberus/Erinys: Both silver heavy (although Erinys require an equal amount of rock) and wood light. Both produced from barracks -- again, you should have a high level barracks.
EDIT: NOTE: Cerberus provide the third best blunt defense and second best range defense per farm space in the game. Erinys are a great offensive unit (I think?) but I don't have the numbers for them..

Hera: +Rock -Silver (Slinger) (Off. LU Production Islands)
-- Medusa: Rock heavy (like the slingers you'll be mass producing here) with similar wood and silver ratios. The excess silver she requires should be made up for by the silver you should be amassing while building slingers.
-- Harpies: Somewhat an inverse of slingers -- cheap in stone, most expensive in wood and silver. Because of the hindered silver production you're stores of silver and then of wood will fluctuate if you rotate building these in with your standard slinger production.
EDIT: NOTE: Fast. Fliers (no transports). Killing machines. Great carrying capacity.

Athena: +Wood -Rock (Def. LU/Light Ship Factories)
-- Centaur/Pegasus: Require vast amounts of wood with light amounts of silver/stone. All the excess stone you'll have on these islands will easily cover the cost required for these units; the biggest issue will likely be the silver in times of heavy production.
-- Athena doesn't really fit anywhere, this is simply her "better fit".
--Centaurs provide the best sharp defense per farm space; Pegasus provides the best blunt defense per farm space. My updated view of them is this: Light Ship factories double as DLU factories. They are a great launching point for LS clearing waves, but they should also be used in order to support allies and other cities defensively on the ground. As such, you can choose to produce Light Ships OR Swords and Archers OR Centaurs/Pegs OR a combination of the groupings. Pegs have the obvious advantage of not needing transports and quick travel. Great for supporting cities against horseman nukes. Combinations of Centaurs and Archers will provide the most efficient defense against Hoplite nukes (using archers to get rid of spare resources when you no longer have the favor to produce Centaurs).

The below information assumes that you are attacking or defending with/versus a naval force (the attacker/defender isn't on your island -- the calculations consider transports.)
Going to summarize WHICH myth units are worth building and how you should use them:

Unit:/Summary:/To build them or not:
Pegasus: BEST defensive unit in the game. WORST offensive unit in the game. YES
Centaur: 6th best defensive unit in the game; great in combination w/ Pegs. YES
Cerberus: 2nd best defensive unit; great in combo. w/ archers. YES
Erinyes: Just no. NO!
Medusa: 4th best atk. unit, 3rd best def. unit; 1st combined attack/defense. YES
Harpies: BEST blunt nuke in the game, WORST def. unit in the game YES
Hydras: (On this server, no) NO!
Cyclops: Situational, but theoretically yes.. YES
Minotaur: Just no. NO!
Manticore: Best sharp nuke in the game, but pathetic, awful defense. YES

This is where I got my information for the last section: http://grepolis-pro.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/mythical-units.html

After awhile can you start to lose favor with Gods? I have at least one city worshipping each God, but Hera which was the first God in my first city seems to be losing favor rather than gaining. The favor counter says I should be gaining 9 every hour, but I seem to be losing instead.

DeletedUser271

After awhile can you start to lose favor with Gods? I have at least one city worshipping each God, but Hera which was the first God in my first city seems to be losing favor rather than gaining. The favor counter says I should be gaining 9 every hour, but I seem to be losing instead.

Are you sure that you didn't recruit any Harpy/Medusa?

DeletedUser

You cannot lose favor unless you use it for a divine power

DeletedUser257

The only four myth units you should ever build are manti, pegs, harpy, and cerb. All the others aren't worth the favor.

DeletedUser6919

Personally I think that medusas are the best myth in the game. As pop is the biggest limiting factor, it is best to break the units by the pop cost not resource. So by dividing the total attack value by pop medusas are the biggest hitters.

Top 3 attackers - AA/F (average attack per farm space):

Medusa = 425 sharp attack / 18 pop = 23.6 AA/F
Mantis = 945 sharp attack / 45 pop =21 AA/F
Harpies = 266 blunt attack / 14 pop = 19 AA/F

The reason I have excluded Erinys when she has an AA/F of 22, is because she is an offensive unit using ranged attack. Slingers are also an offensive unit with a ranged attack of 23 AA/F. So I don't think she deserves a place in the top three when slings are cheaper, use no favor and are faster to replace.

As well as being the biggest hitter Medusas also good at defense. As there are three different defence values the maths is different. By adding the three totals, then dividing by 3 it gives the average defense which can then be divided by pop.

Top 3 Defenders- AD/F (average defense per farm space):

Cerbs = (825 blunt + 300 sharp + 1575 ranged) / 3 / 30 pop = 30
Medusas = (625 blunt + 435 sharp + 375 ranged) / 3 / 18 pop = 26.6
Pagasus = (900 blunt + 250 sharp + 300 ranged) / 3 / 20 pop = 24

However I will say that although she may have more clout than Mantis, Harpies and Pegs, she doesn't fly like they do. Mantis and harpies come in handy for siege breaking. Flying horses, fly fast and that fact has saved my cities in the past as they can reach to support some cities that nothing else can.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Personally I think that medusas are the best myth in the game. As pop is the biggest limiting factor, it is best to break the units by the pop cost not resource. So by dividing the total attack value by pop medusas are the biggest hitters.

Top 3 attackers - AA/F (average attack per farm space):

Medusa = 425 sharp attack / 18 pop = 23.6 AA/F
Mantis = 945 sharp attack / 45 pop =21 AA/F
Harpies = 266 blunt attack / 14 pop = 19 AA/F

The reason I have excluded Erinys when she has an AA/F of 22, is because she is an offensive unit using ranged attack. Slingers are also an offensive unit with a ranged attack of 23 AA/F. So I don't think she deserves a place in the top three when slings are cheaper, use no favor and are faster to replace.

As well as being the biggest hitter Medusas also good at defense. As there are three different defence values the maths is different. By adding the three totals, then dividing by 3 it gives the average defense which can then be divided by pop.

Top 3 Defenders- AD/F (average defense per farm space):

Cerbs = (825 blunt + 300 sharp + 1575 ranged) / 3 / 30 pop = 30
Medusas = (625 blunt + 435 sharp + 375 ranged) / 3 / 18 pop = 26.6
Pagasus = (900 blunt + 250 sharp + 300 ranged) / 3 / 20 pop = 24

However I will say that although she may have more clout than Mantis, Harpies and Pegs, she doesn't fly like they do. Mantis and harpies come in handy for siege breaking. Flying horses, fly fast and that fact has saved my cities in the past as they can reach to support some cities that nothing else can.
I'm still a bit new to Grepolis, but shouldn't medusas have 24.3 population effectively, at least for the math of attacking? Very rarely will you use them on the same island as yourself, so you need .9 transports per 1 medusa. Therefore, they would have 425/24.3=17.5 sharp attack per population, making them worse than both of the other myths listed for the purpose of attacking.

DeletedUser

The only four myth units you should ever build are manti, pegs, harpy, and cerb. All the others aren't worth the favor.

Wrong. Manticores, Harpies, Cerberus, and Medusa. Pegasus are good for blunt defense but nothing else. And Erinys is okay but 55 slingers is cheaper and a little bit stronger I believe. Waste of favor really. The best overall myth unit is Medusa though. Overall great for defense (20+ in each defensive category per 1 population cost) and best sharp attack in the game other than Manticores.

DeletedUser

I'm still a bit new to Grepolis, but shouldn't medusas have 24.3 population effectively, at least for the math of attacking? Very rarely will you use them on the same island as yourself, so you need .9 transports per 1 medusa. Therefore, they would have 425/24.3=17.5 sharp attack per population, making them worse than both of the other myths listed for the purpose of attacking.

As he said, the flying is what gives the other two the advantage. Manticores are much more useful but takes forever to get a good nuke. Plus Hera doesn't have any great spells but Zeus does. What I'm trying to say, Zeus favor is much more valuable than Hera favor, in most situations. Compare the spells and you'll see what I'm talking about. Like a lot of things in the game, it really depends on what's going on. If you're getting attacked a lot at two equal cities (both 25 walls with towers for example) worshiping both gods you'd want the Medusa for defense and save your Zeus' favor for "Zeus' Rage" (assuming you use it effectively). If you aren't getting attacked at all then maybe Manticores will be ideal if don't think you'll need a 10% boost to your lightships.

DeletedUser

For the Hades spell of Return From The Underworld, there isn't a time limit listed. If you cast that spell, is it always in effect? Or is it just in effect for one attack?

Also, I know that if I change gods, I loose any of the Mythical Units that I built with that god, except Divine Envoys if I understand that part correctly. But I would still have the physical level of the Temple itself, right? Would I also loose any built up favor? I'm assuming I would, but figured it would be better to find out for sure.

DeletedUser298

When you cast a spell on an attack, it's only there for that attack, but it doesn't show you have it.

If you change gods, you lose all the favor of the god you are currently worshipping, along with their mythical units, but your temple remains the same level. I don't know about divine envoys - my advice is to stay away from them as you can use your favor to spell yourself to make better troops.

DeletedUser

When you cast a spell on an attack, it's only there for that attack, but it doesn't show you have it.

If you change gods, you lose all the favor of the god you are currently worshipping, along with their mythical units, but your temple remains the same level. I don't know about divine envoys - my advice is to stay away from them as you can use your favor to spell yourself to make better troops.

Everything he said is true. And yes you keep your divine envoys but likt mr godsword said, they aren't any good. Pretty worthless and a waste of favor.