[Discussion] Special Buildings

DeletedUser11525

Just another idea for statue and/or a new wonder: Turn it into a "divine shrine" devoted to all the gods. This allows you to support a city with any mythical units, regardless of the god worshiped in the city.

Also, if you are looking to add a third wonder in the game, it can be worked into the city on the right of the market place.
So would it only allow support from any god, or would it accumulate favor from all gods?

I think it would eliminate some of the strategy associated with picking gods for cities. Either balancing cities, and picking gods based on proximity to front lines.

Slightly off topic, but there should be more benefit for spells to cities of the same god/less effect for spells to cities favoring other gods. So, Kingly Gift to a city that also worships Poseidon should provide more wood than to a city worshiping Hades. Similarly, Earthquake might have less effect (what god wants to punish their worshipers?)

DeletedUser15919

Amazing ideas! Please keep them coming :p

Time to give my 2 cents too. In general I'd prefer to give an additional function to all buildings above the current, have 12 buildings instead of 8 and 3 free choices - dare to dream big :D

Theater: theater plays + 15% cheaper and shorter city festivals (reason: City festival duration is too limited compared to BP generation if players farm)
Thermal bath: 10% population increase + 50% shorter healing time for heroes (healing power of thermal water...)
Library: additional research points + free deletion of research
Lighthouse: 15% speed increase for fleets + trade

Tower: 10% increased defense strength + don't allow catapults to damage random buildings (stone hail doesn't have a counter effect)
Divine Statue: 5 additional temple levels (like now) and 15% reduced favor cost for myths
Oracle: uncover enemy spies and attacks (spells should not protect the incoming attacks to a city with oracle)
Merchant's shop: +50% trade and +10% storage capacity

From the new building proposals with some changes:
Luxury Residence: +10% improved hero effect + heroes travel 50% faster to the city
Diplomatic Center: 10% more resources / units from farming villages + 50% more trade capacity with farming villages
War Council: 10% attack power + 10% battle experience
Stadium: 10% faster training and less cost of all troops

I'm a fan of choose Any 2 of the following. Perhaps also, instead of the special buildings being permanent, they are removed entirely as permanents & introduced as timed spells in a city like the community rewards? Something that requires them constantly rebuilt to benefit from the rewards as a cost of the Gods Favoring your empire?

I am one of those minority fans that use the Lighthouse frequently for builds. Getting boats for defense in front of a cs at the last minute helps in many ways. Anything that promotes their usage is a boost to me.

In regards to specific existing boosts, for Library - if you add the free reset feature, add a sequential cost to it's use where you pay a penalty of 0 CP for the first reset & each future usage 0 + 2X where X = number of times previously built? This would need to be permanent per server, w/o a reset feature (including ghosting).

In regards to gold generation & new buildings, why not simply introduce this based upon a new manner of usage for the login reward longer term - "The Gods favor you. As a reward for your devotion, you receive one of the following: advisor of your choice for seven days, 20 Gold/day for seven days or 140 Gold, selection of 1 of 4 community buffs commonly found in the Grepolympia event - Attack/Defense buf, resource generation or bp bonus for seven days". You could further make it such that you can't select the same reward more than once every 3 months to promote rotation of the selection.

DeletedUser16157

Ooh I just thought of something....

So the general consensus appears to be that it's a great idea for the library to be able to reset researches for free. The only issue is that people would simply build the library, reset the researches needed, and then demolish the library. What if it cost, say, 3 culture points to demolish a library? Perhaps the number could even depend on the number of researches that were reset. It would still be a great buff for the library, but now without the possibility of exploitation.

DeletedUser11525

Ooh I just thought of something....

So the general consensus appears to be that it's a great idea for the library to be able to reset researches for free. The only issue is that people would simply build the library, reset the researches needed, and then demolish the library. What if it cost, say, 3 culture points to demolish a library? Perhaps the number could even depend on the number of researches that were reset. It would still be a great buff for the library, but now without the possibility of exploitation.
So, it wouldn't be free resets, just discounted? Sort of defeats the purpose of the change. Maybe generally increased rebuild time any time you demo a special building and build a new one?

DeletedUser16157

So, it wouldn't be free resets, just discounted? Sort of defeats the purpose of the change. Maybe generally increased rebuild time any time you demo a special building and build a new one?
No? I am still suggesting that you can reset a research for free. The complaint with this idea is this:

1) I take over a city
2) I see that they have all DLU researched, but I want a LS city
3) I construct a library
4) I reset 4 researches, saving myself 4 culture points
5) I immediately demolish the library and put up baths

So I am suggesting that this can be prevented if I had to pay culture points to demolish the library. So I still construct it to reset researches for free, but I actually have to keep it in the city for it to be of use.

DeletedUser11525

That is actually how I expect most players would use the feature.

So, in your example, you save 4 CP by using the library. How many would CP would I need to then demolish the library? 3? So it would only save me 1 CP for the effort/resources. Or do I need to pay the full 4 CP if I want to demolish it? And if I hand the city to someone else, can they then demolish the library for free, or does the 4 CP deficit carry with the city in perpetuity?

I would prefer to pay some extra resources to 'clear' the site to be able to build something else. As long as the resource costs are less than it would take to run City Festivals that would be equivalent to the CP saved.

DeletedUser16157

And if I hand the city to someone else, can they then demolish the library for free, or does the 4 CP deficit carry with the city in perpetuity?
Hmm this is a good question. I could see the passing of cities between allies, especially on fast worlds, to get around this.